Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Am I a beer snob?
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2012, 02:07 PM   #1
mlyday
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bay City, MI
Posts: 915
Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts

Default Am I a beer snob?

Went to my nieces weddding this weekend in kalamazoo, mi. I figured they had to be serving some tasty bells at the reception, nope, Bud or miller light.
I tried not to be a beer snob, and got a bud, I could only choke down about half a glass. Tried a 7&7 that wasnt doing it either.

I was saved by the reception place having a brew pub downstairs. I paid for my beer all night. Sucked down way too may Oval Beach Blonde Ales, and and a few Shorts Soft Parades.

Does paying for good beer when there is BMC free, make me a beer snob?

I got to see one of my sisters that lives out of state that I dont see very often and she was not liking the BMC so she went down to the pub with me and we got to talk for a while so that was pretty cool. We talked the bartender in letting us take the rest of the beers upsatirs so we would miss any more of the reception.

mlyday is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2012, 02:44 PM   #2
SkipperNC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
SkipperNC's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 547
Liked 230 Times on 229 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default

No, paying for what you would rather enjoy doesn't make you a snob. If you were to thumb your nose at people who enjoyed the free beer because that's what THEY want, that's where the snob part comes in. I only know a few folks like that, we all know one. I would rather people ask me why I drink what I do, and introduce them to craft beer that way, versus making fun of them for what they drink. I too drank BMC beers for many years. I've not forgotten.

For what it's worth, I'm amazed they didn't have Bells' at that reception. I mean, it's local!!! People should support local brews if nothing else.

__________________
Primary: Apfelwein(Wy3068)
Secondary: N/A
On Tap: Surly Bender clone, Chinook IPA
In Bottles: Maple Oatmeal Stout
Planning: Apricot Blonde, ESB, American Wheat
Gallons in 2012: 35
SkipperNC is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2012, 02:45 PM   #3
aubiecat
Blake Owen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
aubiecat's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Alexander City, Alabama
Posts: 1,195
Liked 128 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlyday View Post
Went to my nieces weddding this weekend in kalamazoo, mi. I figured they had to be serving some tasty bells at the reception, nope, Bud or miller light.
I tried not to be a beer snob, and got a bud, I could only choke down about half a glass. Tried a 7&7 that wasnt doing it either.

I was saved by the reception place having a brew pub downstairs. I paid for my beer all night. Sucked down way too may Oval Beach Blonde Ales, and and a few Shorts Soft Parades.

Does paying for good beer when there is BMC free, make me a beer snob?

I got to see one of my sisters that lives out of state that I dont see very often and she was not liking the BMC so she went down to the pub with me and we got to talk for a while so that was pretty cool. We talked the bartender in letting us take the rest of the beers upsatirs so we would miss any more of the reception.
Just because you don't like Bud doesn't make you a beer snob.
Looking down your nose at people because of their choice of drink would make you a beer snob. If someone offered you a Bud and you turned your nose up at them you would be a beer snob.
You were respectful and at least tried to drink one, kudos to you.
aubiecat is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2012, 02:47 PM   #4
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Airborneguy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Isle of Staten
Posts: 10,856
Liked 838 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 1105

Default

I came into this thread expecting to say yes, but after reading your post, I agree that you are NOT a beer snob. Stay that way.

__________________
Fermentor(s):
Lagering:
Bottled: Atonement Brown Porter
Airborneguy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2012, 02:53 PM   #5
chiteface
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Saugatuck, MI
Posts: 248
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Trying to piece together where that reception was, or rather the brew pub...was it Epic Bistro? Old peninsula? To be fair a keg of Bells is considerably more expensive than a BMC keg and it would cater to more people than craft beer. Its a safe choice. But no you are not a beer snob IMO. I've done the same thing when trying to get a nice single malt scotch to celebrate the occasion.

__________________
chiteface is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2012, 02:54 PM   #6
ims0ko0l
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lakewood, Ca
Posts: 57
Default

At least you tried to drink the bud instead of going straight down stairs. I would have done the same.

__________________
ims0ko0l is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2012, 03:09 PM   #7
mlyday
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bay City, MI
Posts: 915
Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiteface View Post
Trying to piece together where that reception was, or rather the brew pub...was it Epic Bistro? Old peninsula? To be fair a keg of Bells is considerably more expensive than a BMC keg and it would cater to more people than craft beer. Its a safe choice. But no you are not a beer snob IMO. I've done the same thing when trying to get a nice single malt scotch to celebrate the occasion.
Actually the wedding was in Kalamazoo, the reception was in plainwell. At Eesley mill. Its an old flour mill that they refurbished. The upstairs is a banquet area, sort of rustic, but had a really cool vibe. Downstairs was a pub and grill. Its two separate business according to the bartender, so it was cool of him to let us take the glasses upstairs with us. I made sure I brought every one back downstairs.
__________________
http://aquadogbrewingcompany.blogspot.com/
mlyday is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2012, 03:14 PM   #8
mlyday
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bay City, MI
Posts: 915
Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ims0ko0l View Post
At least you tried to drink the bud instead of going straight down stairs. I would have done the same.
I use to drink bud light alot, and still do occasionally while golfing. With all the craftbrews that are so good now its hard not to want those over the bmc that was offered.

We tried not to make a big deal about it. I think the only people that knew were my wife, me, and my sister.

Plus I got to try two beers I hadn't tried before.
__________________
http://aquadogbrewingcompany.blogspot.com/
mlyday is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2012, 03:22 PM   #9
Ceetar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ridgewood, New Jersey
Posts: 193
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default

I wrote this last year. It's so rare to find a catering hall that even thinks about beer beyond the cheapest beer/wine/liquor they can be provided. (But it's particularly annoying when it's in a building that has better options under the same roof)

I think the best beer I've ever seen at a traditional catering hall has been Sam Adams.


but no, that's not being a beer snob. Glad you got to take the beer back with you too, win-win there.

__________________
Ceetar is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2012, 03:28 PM   #10
mlyday
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bay City, MI
Posts: 915
Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts

Default

Our hotel was within walking distance of the Bells general store, I dropped about a hundred bucks in there. Got some tap handles, signage, pint glasses and a 22oz bottle of the Golden Rye Ale, it a hand numbered bottle, you can only buy there or get at the restuarant.

__________________
http://aquadogbrewingcompany.blogspot.com/
mlyday is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Are you a Beer Snob? SIXFOOTER General Beer Discussion 49 11-20-2011 05:13 PM
Am I a beer snob? Great_Neck_Brewer General Beer Discussion 22 10-19-2009 01:26 PM
Have you become a beer snob? humann_brewing General Beer Discussion 29 03-05-2009 02:51 PM
Help, turning into a beer snob! avwfreak General Beer Discussion 46 03-02-2009 02:19 AM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS