Aluminum for Brew Kettles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zenenviro

Reaction score
Hey Guys

Just starting out and getting set up. Can a guy run aluminum for a while until upgrading slowly?

Just boil water in it before the first use so it builds a grey oxide layer. Don't scrub that off or you'll need to boil water again.

Valves are easy to add. Aluminum drills like butter and weldless bulkheads couldn't be easier to install.

Most of the valves you add to boil kettles will have some sort of gasket or high temp seal. This will keep the two dissimilar metals away from each other!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I have 2 aluminum (60 quart) stock pots and would not trade them. I just like the fact that the side walls are 6mm thick vs the standard 2mm for stainless steel pots. Almost impossible to dent. Holes are easier to drill if you want to add anything.

Also the link between aluminum and Alzheimer's was disproven some time ago, so there's no worries about that. I think there's a sticky mega-thread about aluminum pots too actually.

I used an aluminum pot for my sparge water and stainless for my boil until just recently. I'm not dead yet, and the beers I made tasted great. I'd still be using it, but I upgraded to a larger bk and now use the old stainless one for heating sparge water.

Stainless is good for peace of mind. Aluminum will make beer and is usually cheaper. Some say Al pots won't last as long as stainless. I can't comment since I have stainless.

Stainless is good for peace of mind. Aluminum will make beer and is usually cheaper. Some say Al pots won't last as long as stainless. I can't comment since I have stainless.

I bought an old AL pot for my HLT on ebay. about 40 years old, still holds water! :) if 40 years is not good enough, I dont know what is.

I bought an old AL pot for my HLT on ebay. about 40 years old, still holds water! :) if 40 years is not good enough, I dont know what is.
And then you have people like this guy who force you to couch your responses to prevent footenmouth disorder.

I still use the aluminum kettle that came with my turkey fryer (long ago upgraded) to heat sparge water. its light, heats a little faster and has "great memories" attached. It is a little easier to drill on (I added a valve) but stainless is not hard to drill either really when you use a step bit etc..

ya, I know what the word means. I dont know why you are saying it when I was agreeing with you. nothing wrong with AL and it will last plenty long.

No worries man. I was just saying for every, so called, fact you put out there someone will be around to tell you it's wrong. That's why people always say Your Mileage May Vary (YMMV).

Hey Guys

Just starting out and getting set up. Can a guy run aluminum for a while until upgrading slowly?

Absolutely. This would be my recommendation on the way to start out, as the money you save on buying aluminum will definitely be well spent on the many other tools you will need to get started with in home brewing. In the future when you are ready to ugrade, you can use your aluminum kettle for your strike water, or as a second boil kettle for a parti-gyle recipe. :mug:

Personally, I don't view SS as an upgrade. Aluminum is lighter weight, conducts heat much better (faster to boil and faster chill), easier to drill, easy to clean (since I don't want it gleaming), and is far cheaper. I have no interest in "upgrading".

Back