Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > alternative bittering

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2009, 05:52 AM   #41
Gildog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i altered a recipe i found on beersmith, would i be better off with dark exxtract instead? as for the srm, im using a rating of ~200 lovibond for the coloring of the coffee

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
Ernest Hemmingway.

"He was a wise man who invented beer."
Plato.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joos View Post
Beer fairies help me out all the time.They sprinkle the magic stay awake till you pitch the yeast dust,and everything works out great.It's those damn THC gnomes that say NO! You must pass out and F up your beer!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2009, 06:02 AM   #42
Gildog
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

now im wondering if i should go all extract, im not very competent in partail mash, and i want to concentrate more on the bittering than the brewing. i dunno

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
Ernest Hemmingway.

Plato.

Quote:
Beer fairies help me out all the time.They sprinkle the magic stay awake till you pitch the yeast dust,and everything works out great.It's those damn THC gnomes that say NO! You must pass out and F up your beer!

Old 05-07-2009, 02:42 PM   #43
maztec
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Hmm, coloring sounds reasonable then.

Are you actually doing a partial mash with that recipe? Or is the Caramel Malt being used in a steep? With an extract recipe I would suspect it is being steeped, although 49 ounces is quite a bit to just steep, so it might be a partial mash. Steeping is not that hard. 30-60 minutes, 150-170 degrees, sparge. Then again, a partial mash isn't that much harder as far as I can tell, but I have yet to do one ... and a partial mash would get more sugar out, which would be good for this and would add to the body. So, yah, I would go with the partial mash on this one. You want to get the sugars out if you are using that much Caramel Malt, is my hunch.

I assume you are planning Caramel 60L? Mmm, caramelly and good mouth feel.

I'm not sure which way you should go on this. I would consider sticking with all extract, but a little branching out won't hurt you - and it doesn't hurt to learn other things. It just gives up a bit of control, so you will have to watch it closer and decide if you have not messed up somewhere other than the alt-bitter. Good luck.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:36 PM   #44
Gildog
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Im planning on partial mash, im just a little nervous cause i majorly screwed up my first one.

i didnt crush my grain well enough, and i ended up not getting any conversion untill after i had filtered the grain out of the mash. I threw the grain back into it and its fermenting now, i hope.

This time im going to mill the grain IN the store, i thought a rolling pin ran over it a couple times would do it, and it did NOT.

Im off to the LHBS now, i gotta hope they have my ingredients, or else im SOL for a month untill they place thier next order.

wish me luck

Ernest Hemmingway.

Plato.

Quote:

Old 05-07-2009, 06:45 PM   #45
chumprock
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 6

What about Horehound?

I'm really looking into the idea of a horehound bittered honey lager... (Horehoney, of course)

Old 05-07-2009, 07:02 PM   #46
maztec
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Gildog: Rolling at the LBHS works well for me. I have been told that the crushed grains will last for up to a month. But, the longest I have gone is two weeks before brewing. Although, I do keep mine in my wine fridge, nice, cool, moisture controlled, steady 45F.

Hmm, Horehoney sounds interesting.

Good luck at the LBHS Gil.

Quick Reply