Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Altbier might be stuck....what do you think?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2009, 07:49 PM   #1
wjjohnson
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Altbier might be stuck....what do you think?

I brewed a german altbier this weekend, I had a a lot of spalt hops! Anyways, I cant tell you a exact reading because my daughter broke my hydrometer right before I was going to pitch my yeast. 1.066 is what brewQ tells me. So I pitched a yeast slurry from an brown ale I made. Cooled down the wort to about 78 first. This was at about 7:00pm saturday night, about 12:00pm sunday I noticed some good activity in the blow off. About 6:30pm sunday the activity had stoppped. Now I know that no bubbles doesnt mean not fermenting, but could it be stuck? I swirled the primary softly to stur up some yeast before I went to bed sunday. Woke up this morning (monday) and no activity. I think I will let it sit today and check it when I get home. I have more yeast to pitch if that what I need to do. Any suggestion? Could it be stuck? Give it time? I have read a lot of threads about stuck fermentation and just figure I would ask. Any help will be helpfull! Thanks yall!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2009, 07:54 PM   #2
jezter6
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It's not stuck until the hydrometer reading stays the same (and is not at final gravity) for a few days.

If you had it in the mid 70s, it may have pretty much fermented out considering you pitched a healthy starter of yeast from the other batch.

Really, gravity is the ONLY way. Other than that, it's all speculation.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:02 PM   #3
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2759 Times on 2710 Posts
Likes Given: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjjohnson View Post
I cant tell you a exact reading because my daughter broke my hydrometer right before I was going to pitch my yeast.
Then buy a new hydrometer. There is no magical gnome on the interwebs that can read the sugar content of your beer through a text post.

* deleted the rest of my post because we are all friends and I just have been talking to retards all day and will not take it out on you *

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 05-18-2009, 10:16 PM   #4
wjjohnson
Recipes 

Well I am going to get a new hydrometer, the HBS was closed at the time it broke and not open on sundays. I will get a new one on the way home. I problem is I didnt get a reading before I pitched the yeast, so I am going off the Qbrew software. So in other words I dont know my OG, I can only guess since I broke my hydrometer BEFORE I pitched the yeast. I just wanted to know if I should wait any longer before pitching in more yeast. I have never had a beer ferment out completly in a few hours. Even with a hugh starter. I will get a reading today and see were I am at. I heave heard that if you wait too long to re-pitch yeast on a stuck brew you could risk infection. That was my main point. Thanks for the help, I'll update as soon as possible!

Old 05-18-2009, 10:25 PM   #5
Arkador
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 10

check the gravity today, then again on Wednesday morning. You should have an idea of what your FG whould be. If you get 2 identical readings in a row, well above your target FG, it is stuck. If it is at 1.015 or so, it is probably fermented out.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:26 PM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4342 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 845

If you pitched a yeast slurry at 78 degrees, you probably had a very hot and active fermentation. That's why it would go so quick- fermentation temperatures could have easily exceeded 85 degrees and it would finish up very quickly.

High temperatures aren't really great for altbiers- I ferment my altbier with German ale yeast at 60 degrees. You may notice quite a bit of fruitiness and even some fusels from the high temperature, and some yeast strains have more fruitiness at high temperatures than others. What strain did you use?

Old 05-18-2009, 10:34 PM   #7
Sean

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Make sure you have a good seal?? If you had a lot of activity, it may have loosened your cork or something.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:19 PM   #8
wjjohnson
Recipes 

Well I pitched the yeast at 79 but i had it in a tub of ice water. I checked the temp about 30 min later and was 67 and has held at 68-69. I live in Arizona and its 109 today- so thats pretty good! I am going to stick the fermentor in my frig and lager or cold condition it for about 3 weeks after fermentation. Thats what I read to do with altbiers. I will get a reading to night and tuesday and wednesday and see were things are at. I used a yeast slurry from a brown ale wich started out as 2 paks for nottingham yeast. I washed it and keep it cold. As far as I know the temp in my brew room is 70 and with it being in a ice tub is should be close to 65 thru out the day. I will double check all my hoses and stoppers. Thanks for all the help!

Quick Reply