Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > AltBier

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2009, 04:54 PM   #1
Moos
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default AltBier

So i'm still a Noob at brewing, I am on my 5th batch. I have been reading here for awhile now and this is my first post. I have some questions on an Alt Bier I got going (which when started was my second batch). I bought the kit from my local shop, used East Coast ale yeast WLP008. This was all on the suggestions of the local shop (before I started reading extensively). Anyway, I left it in the primary fermentary for 10 days. My OG was 1.050 and after 7 days it was down to 1.020. At ten days it was still 1.020 so I moved it to a secondary and placed it in the fridge set at 40 degrees. It has been in there for 3 weeks now and at the month mark I was planning on bottling. This is where I start the questions.

When I go to bottle should I take the carboy out of the fridge for a couple of days to let it come back up to room temp? or should I pull it straight out of the fridge and bottle while it's still cold? Or should I pull it out of the fridge and let it condition longer (week or 2) at room temp?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2009, 06:28 PM   #2
Pogo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm sure someone who knows much more than I will be along here shortly to clarify things, but I don't think your wort should have been in the fridge unless you were using a Lager yeast.

I'm thinking that you have sent your ale yeasties into hybernation! No real harm done. I would place the primary at room temp, 60F - 75F, for three weeks of conditioning, and then proceed on as you have stated.

Pogo

Old 02-14-2009, 06:53 PM   #3
Moos
Recipes 

The reason I put it in the fridge was I read up on AltBier on the internet/books and it's an old german style beer that uses a Ale yeast and after it ferments at room temp you lager it for awhile to give a crisp lager taste. But again, this is just what I read and it was only my second batch so i'm all up for any suggestions.

Old 02-15-2009, 12:53 AM   #4
cclloyd

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 71

You are on the money Moos - Altbier is fermented at a warmer temp for the first two (or so) weeks then cold conditioned for a period to help it clear and give it a crisper cleaner finish. I use WLP029 when I make mine.

Old 02-15-2009, 02:09 AM   #5
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

You can bottle while it's still cold. Just account for the temperature when calculating the amount of sugar to add... like here.

END TRANSMISSION

Old 02-15-2009, 02:40 AM   #6
QueenCityALER
Recipes 

If in terrible doubt you could bring it out of the fridge and let get room temp. and at bottling time reyeast w/ half a pack of rehydrated dry yeast. This isn't necessary though, I think your brew will be fine.

Quick Reply