Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Allergic rash-type reaction on hands - Grains?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2010, 04:35 AM   #1
jjones17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Allergic rash-type reaction on hands - Grains?

Howdy all!

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced a rash on their hands from handling grains. I started to break out in this weird rash on the back of my hands and between the joints of my fingers (on the back side) a month or so after I started brewing. I thought it was just due to seasonal eczema I experience once every 5 years or so, although that usually shows up on my feet.

Anyway, I had to go like FOUR WHOLE WEEKS without brewing anything due to scheduling conflicts, and I noticed my rash started going away. Then, this weekend I brewed 2 huge batches - An American wheat using cascades, and a nice Rye IPA with amarillo/cascade combo. Anyway, on Tuesday the rash came back - WITH A VENGEANCE. This is starting to become a pain in the ass.

Not to sound like a wuss, but I work in a service related industry and I present contracts and documents to clients all the time - A nasty skin bubbling rash does not exactly inspire confidence if you know what I mean.

I used to think it was the latex gloves I use in brewing while I sanitize - however, I debunked that as during my 4 week hiatus I bottled 2 batches and used the gloves. Maybe I need to purchase some gloves to wear while handling the grain? Any one else get this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2010, 07:08 AM   #2
Clonefarmer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjones17 View Post
Howdy all!

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced a rash on their hands from handling grains. I started to break out in this weird rash on the back of my hands and between the joints of my fingers (on the back side) a month or so after I started brewing. I thought it was just due to seasonal eczema I experience once every 5 years or so, although that usually shows up on my feet.

Anyway, I had to go like FOUR WHOLE WEEKS without brewing anything due to scheduling conflicts, and I noticed my rash started going away. Then, this weekend I brewed 2 huge batches - An American wheat using cascades, and a nice Rye IPA with amarillo/cascade combo. Anyway, on Tuesday the rash came back - WITH A VENGEANCE. This is starting to become a pain in the ass.

Not to sound like a wuss, but I work in a service related industry and I present contracts and documents to clients all the time - A nasty skin bubbling rash does not exactly inspire confidence if you know what I mean.

I used to think it was the latex gloves I use in brewing while I sanitize - however, I debunked that as during my 4 week hiatus I bottled 2 batches and used the gloves. Maybe I need to purchase some gloves to wear while handling the grain? Any one else get this?
I would ask a doctor about this. It sounds like an allergic reaction, but I'm no expert.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:48 PM   #3
mgo737
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would suspect it is more an irritant reaction to sanitizers and water... Get some Blichmann gloves and use them for all of your brewing. I just purchased 2 pairs from Rebel Brewer, which offers free shipping on them...

http://www.rebelbrewer.com/shoppingc...ng-Gloves.html

Old 04-29-2010, 03:14 PM   #4
JefeTheVol
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts

+1 on using gloves..i break out in a rash when I work with cypress wood, it sucks.

-Sometimes I feel like I'm up beer creek without a pint glass-

-May the IBU's be with you-

Old 04-30-2010, 03:35 AM   #5
Beernik
Recipes 

Liked 337 Times on 277 Posts
Likes Given: 25

it could be a grain allergy, or a grain dust/flour allergy. I guess another experiment would be to dissolve flour in water and put your hands in it.

My guess would be sanitizer also. Thinks like sanitizer, disinfectants, and cleansers tend to be sensitizers. If you have a reaction to them once, it takes less exposure to cause the same reaction again. CLR gives me a similar reaction if I don't wear gloves.

If I lived near a beach, I'd drink beer and look at the beach every day.

Old 04-30-2010, 09:05 PM   #6
jjones17
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Hey well thanks everyone. I will have to pick up a fresh pair of gloves to see if that helps. Come to think of it, I do sometimes just 'dive in' to the sanitiser without gloves if I need to grab something right quick. I use the 'pink stuff'. I will not do this anymore, and see if that helps. I will also use gloves when handling my grains.

Quick Reply