Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > All Grain Setup

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2010, 11:58 PM   #1
Tumpster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default All Grain Setup

Live in a big apartment and currently perform extract with no troubles. Already have a brew kettle and I'm looking to jump into an all grain setup. Is there anyone who all grains inside their apartment or town home who maybe doesn't have access to a setup that entails a turkey fryer or burner? I have a gas stove so I can boil a full wort boil with whatever I extract from the grain. Now this is my big project for the summer as I've got the wort chiller going, the kegerators been active for some time and now I wish to lower costs on brewing. I'm open to any help and any step by steps. Thanks everyone!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2010, 12:16 AM   #2
KUbrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

If you're going to do a full boil, I would do a dry run and make sure you can get 6-7 gallons to a boil. I tried 5 on my gas stove and is was a mess. I could get it to a boil if I put it across 2 burners and even then it took forever.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:22 AM   #3
PintOfBitter
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

do a search here for 'heatstick'. it may be something you would be interested in to help with heating strike and sparge water as well as full volume boils. Have you successfully done full volume boils?

-PoB

Maybe you can use these Grain, Hops, Yeast Reference Charts
Come visit WildHopsPrintShop.com- custom bottle caps, beer glassware, tap handles, and more!

Old 06-08-2010, 12:33 AM   #4
jpc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumpster View Post
Live in a big apartment and currently perform extract with no troubles. Already have a brew kettle and I'm looking to jump into an all grain setup. Is there anyone who all grains inside their apartment or town home who maybe doesn't have access to a setup that entails a turkey fryer or burner? I have a gas stove so I can boil a full wort boil with whatever I extract from the grain. Now this is my big project for the summer as I've got the wort chiller going, the kegerators been active for some time and now I wish to lower costs on brewing. I'm open to any help and any step by steps. Thanks everyone!
The question is how long it will take for your burners to boil the wort; I'd figure on about seven gallons. Some stoves won't put out enough heat to boil that much.

I live in a townhouse, and I brew indoors. I also have a Wolf range that has higher-output burners; this definitely helps. I do use electric for my hot liquor, though; I have an electric turkey fryer that I use to heat my strike and sparge water (and hopefully will soon use as my HERMS heat exchanger). My mash tun is a 10 gallon Rubbermaid cooler with perforated false bottom, and does quite well.

My only real issue is that my GF bitches about my equipment taking over the kitchen and dining room.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:39 AM   #5
eanmcnulty
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I brew small batch, no sparge. I have a 20qt pot (5 gal exactly), so I cannot brew five gallons. Instead I brew 2.5 gallons. I mash in a five gallon rubbermaid, and I add all the water to the mash (about 4.3 gallons), then I just drain it to the kettle. I get about 3-3.5 gallons. I boil an hour and end up with a little over 2.5 gallons to the fermenter. I use 3-gallon Better Bottles. I have four of them. Right now I am cooling with an immersion chiller. With stirring I can cool the wort in about 20 minutes. I plan on building a counter-flow chiller to make that even faster. With this set-up I can brew in about 3.5 hours. About three weeks ago I brewed Friday night, Saturday morning, and Sunday morning. It was awesome, and I had time to dao other stuff those days. I hope this helps.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:35 PM   #6
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2448 Times on 1725 Posts
Likes Given: 1402

Plan on 7 gallons of collected wort for your average beer.

Plenty of stoves will not work well for that much. You may have to straddle two burners. Also the weight of that much wort might damage the stovetop. Mine got bent in the middle and I spent a few years wondering why my burners were not level.

Splitting the wort into 2 batches is one answer. Either make 2 separate brews, or recombine after boil. I would not say this is ideal, but it's doable. If you recombine, remember to split all additions in half and boil the same amount in each pot.

Personally, I like the heatstick idea. It gives your kettle a boost of heat. Probalby enough to allow full boil on the standard stove.

Homer's Brew Log

Old 06-08-2010, 10:44 PM   #7
Tumpster
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUbrew View Post
If you're going to do a full boil, I would do a dry run and make sure you can get 6-7 gallons to a boil. I tried 5 on my gas stove and is was a mess. I could get it to a boil if I put it across 2 burners and even then it took forever.
Well I succesfully boil full wort boils on my current setup. I have about 6 gallons that boils within an hour, have done several batches of beer with this current extract setup. I'm looking to add the mash tun and all that jazz and get fully into all grain brewing. Any setups that anyone currently use it in an apartment?

Old 06-08-2010, 11:37 PM   #8
gtpro
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Yep, I did a couple successful AG batches in my apartment. Even on an electric stove, I made the insulating sleeve from this post http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/impr...tovetop-53683/ Then I just used my kettle as my mash tun, and an extra bottling bucket to batch sparge. Its super simple but I was getting like 70% efficiency.

Old 06-09-2010, 04:49 AM   #9
cockybitz
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 14

a 5 gallon (21 qt, actually) ceramic coated canning pot is like 30 bucks or so. Mash in this with some home depot paint straining bags that cost about 5 bucks for 2. I'd use both while mashing just for added security. You then sparge with the grain in these bags. 2 other large pots are sufficient to boil 7 or 8 gallons without boil over. Yes, it can be done stove top with minimal equipment costs. I got 70% efficiency with this. Probably would have gotten better if I didn't use softened water.

Old 06-09-2010, 04:59 AM   #10
seanybubbles
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I do two pots on the electric stove and it works well. It's really not that complicated to split your hops and then combine everything once cooled in a carboy. For me it really helps I have a stove I don't care about that I bought for 50$!

Quick Reply