New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > All-Grain Brewing Vs. Extract Brewing

View Poll Results: Which Do You Prefer?
All-Grain Brewing Only 66 54.55%
Extract Brewing Only 5 4.13%
Extract With Specialty Grains Only 21 17.36%
All of the above! Depending On What I'm Making. 29 23.97%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2007, 01:34 PM   #1
5gBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default All-Grain Brewing Vs. Extract Brewing

Papazian makes some great points in his books about the pros & cons to both AG & E/SG Brewing, and even admits that AG is not the end-all-be-all of beer making techniques; E/SG can make an equal and sometimes better brew.

We all have our opinions on this one, so let 'em fly, but try to explain your responces to the poll.

5gB

Primary 1: The Astronomer: An Imperial Stout
Primary 2: NA
Secondary 1: Potion #6: An Irish Stout
Bottled/Conditioning:
- Vander Maass German Wheat
- Mad Tiger: Honey IPA
Bottled/Drinking:
- Vander Maass German Wheat
- Mad Tiger: Honey IPA
Up Next:
- undecided

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2007, 01:42 PM   #2
anthrobe

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have done one all grain and mostly PM and extract. Depending on the time that I have to brew, I will do either or. Although I am still learning the AG stuff too

Secondary1 -
Secondary2 -
On Tap
Tap1 - Kelly's Rasberry Cream Ale 7/11/07
Tap2 - Black Stap Porter (8/25/07)
Tap3 - Hefeweizen 7/05/07
Waiting for tap\Conditioning
Keg1 -
Keg2 -
Keg3 -
Bottles
-
-

---------------------------------------------------

Old 07-30-2007, 01:52 PM   #3
magno

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Im just breaking into AG. I have done two extract only batches, plenty of extract with steeping grains and around 15 partial mashes.

I think from a recipe formulating standpoint AG wins hands down, also from the standpoint of saving money (after the initial equipment cost).

Extract comes out ahead for a nice easy learning curve, and for saving time on brew day.

Ive made some great beer, and some not so great beer with extract, and I imagine that will be the same with AG.

I voted all of the above, although I doubt I will ever do another extract only brew.

- magno

Primary: Barley Wine

Secondary: Red Ale, Pale Ale

Conditioning:

Drinking: Brown Ale, 75 min. IPA, Oatmeal Stout, Poor Richard's Ale, Chocolate Cherry Stout

Old 07-30-2007, 01:57 PM   #4
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 340 Times on 281 Posts
Likes Given: 92

Nothing wrong with extract, and lots of people are content making very good extract brews for years and years and years.

With that said, I have never ONCE heard anyone who "graduated" to AG brewing ever, ever say that they regretted it. I know some AG folks will continue to make an extract brew on occassion, but I don't know of anyone who has ever gone back to extract.

If you love making beer, you will LOVE doing AG, how much flexibility and control that you have in the process.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 07-30-2007, 01:59 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 124 Posts

Mostly I do partial mash (which wasn't a choice). I'm most likely to do AG for a recipe that has a high percentage of specialty grains that require mashing.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 07-30-2007, 02:01 PM   #6
East Mountain Brewer
Recipes 

All grain brewing just adds another dimension of control that is only needed for certain styles. The mash temp. knob on fermentability / attenuation is a big one for Belgian styles. I have not had an acceptable Saison made from extract. For typical American style ales though, there are lots of folks making them every bit as good with extract. As long as you have fresh extract, the possibilities are endless. In the long run, all grain is much cheaper but more time consuming and addictive. I guess I should get a penny back for my two cents but there you have it.
Cheers,
EMB

Old 07-30-2007, 02:18 PM   #7
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 7

To me, making beer is a lot like making food. I really enjoy cooking (and brewing!), and if I have the time, I really enjoy spending an evening in the kitchen doing either. Almost always, the results are worth it.

But if I am pressed for time, I will still cook instead of ordering take-out (gets expensive). But I will cut corners and use a lot of ready-to-go ingredients instead of making them myself. Almost as good, but not as satisfying.

To me, AG brewing is similar. I like making my own recipes or tweaking ones I find. I like the control I get to make exactly the beer I want. I also get great satisfaction out of making something from scratch. Plus, for me, the beer is far better, and far cheaper to make.

But if I am pressed for time, I will still do an extract batch. I just don't enjoy the process or the beer as much.

Old 07-30-2007, 02:48 PM   #8
Buford

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

To me, doing AG is a lot of fun. It's all about the process from weighing out your grains, to crushing them, to doing the mash that I find interesting. I'm not doing it just to create a finished product.

FERMENTING: ---
KEGGED/IN STORAGE: ---
KEGGED/ON TAP: ---

DIY STUFF: Sanyo 4912 kegerator conversion

Old 07-30-2007, 03:08 PM   #9
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 31 Posts

I've only ever brewed AG. It's fun, simple enough, and makes great beer. I've got no reason to ever brew w/ extract.

Old 07-30-2007, 03:17 PM   #10
Got Trub?
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Like other who have already posted I love the process of making AG. For me this is a fun hobby so I enjoy spending 4-5 hours making a batch of beer. That said if I'm in a hurry or an extract recipe catches my fancy I'll brew that too and am pleased with the results. For those of you just starting out in this hobby we are in the "Golden Age" with access to a huge variety of good quality ingredients for either extract or AG. Enjoy!

Quick Reply