New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > All-Grain Brewing with Extract Brewing Equipment (pics)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2010, 04:37 PM   #61
DRoyLenz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckus95 View Post
Thanks for the advice DRoy and for the original post.

When I got home from work yesterday, my Simcoe/Citra was still bubbling away. However, I was still a little upset with myself, so I decided to brew an AG Bitter. I used Brew365 to calculate the temp of my strike water, and, after adding the grains, I waited 15 minutes, checked the temp of the mash, only to find that I was off 2 degrees again (152 instead of 154). I added a little water, stirred and check the temp again. However, when I checked the temp, I, for some reason, grabbed a different thermometer. The second thermometer measured 154 degrees. Out of curiosity, I put my original thermometer in, and it still measured 152. My conclusion is that my original thermometer (which I used on my first batch) was the culprit.

After the initial addition of water, the mash stayed at 154 degrees the rest of the way. I think that my problem is now solved.

The rest of the second AG experience went pretty well. Although my hops additions were supposed to be at 60, 20 and 10, with irish moss at 15. However, when I put my irish moss in, I, inexplicably, grabbed my last hop addition, and put it in as well. I know that the 5 extra minutes probably won't affect the beer that much, but I am still very irritated that I made that mistake.

Oh well, I checked this morning and the bitter is bubbling away. Now, I just have to wait a month or so to taste the final product.

Thanks again DRoy for the advice and for the original post.
I'm glad you worked it out. I'm still relatively new to brewing, about 12 batches in, and I'll tell you, I do something wrong everytime. The degree of which varies, from screwed up hop schedules to dropping things in the cooled wort, but I almost never repeat the same error twice. It's all part of learning. Happy Brewing and let me know if you have any more questions!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2010, 03:37 AM   #62
portalgod
Recipes 

I goofed this method up a bit this past wknd during the sparge. Instead of putting my grainbag back in the kettle and then slowly pouring sparge water over the grain, I put all the sparge water into the kettle first and then just threw the grainbag in and started stirring. Still came out pretty close to the expected OG anyway.

Otherwise it was a fun first 2.5 gallon AG brew Thanks for the tips. I brewed up Biermuncher's Oktoberfast Ale scaled down to 2.5 gallons in Beersmith. Bubbling away nicely at around 2.75 gallons at 1.058 for 3 days now. Ferm chamber is set at 61-62F.

Note 1 : Preheating the oven to 170 (and then turning it off as soon as I put my kettle in) resulted in only losing 0.4degrees over the full hour (went from 154.2 to 153.8 over 60 minutes). Note that I didn't open up the oven to stir at all. Next time I probably will. Might need more hot mash water if I do.

Note 2: I heated my sparge water to 178 degrees, but when I put in my grain and stirred I could only get the grain bed up to 161 degrees. I stirred for 10 mins and it was OK. Next time I'll push my sparge water up to 185 or so to try and get the grain bed up closer to 170 (but not over so as to prevent tannins).

Note 3: I'm too cheap to spend $25 on an aluminum 8 gallon pot (Walmart has em in stock right now!) and/or $40-50 on a cooler MLT, so this method fits my apartment brewing spot on.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:11 AM   #63
MetallHed
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 44

I'm gonna be using this method for an american wheat, hopefully this weekend. Thanks to the OP and DeathBrewer for their tutorials to help this n00b make goodazz bier!

BTW I dont see a pic of the final product like promised... but it's been a year...lol

My Fermentation Chiller Steel Horse Brew Labels

Old 09-14-2010, 11:27 AM   #64
rico567

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Great tutorial for making the transition to AG- and also BIAB. I was fortunate that I snagged a bargain on a 30 qt. SS pot when I started brewing, so that two years later, when I was ready to go AG, it served quite well to make full 5-gallon batches.*

*Note1: Five gallon extract batches were marginal for me on our kitchen stove until I insulated the brewpot.

*Note2: A full 6.5 boil in a 7.5 gal pot is possible, but I believe my use of Fermcap-S has made it far, far easier to eliminate the boilover issue.

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 09-14-2010, 01:39 PM   #65
Chips
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rico567 View Post

*Note1: Five gallon extract batches were marginal for me on our kitchen stove until I insulated the brewpot.
Hi Rico...what did you use to insulate your pot? I've been looking to do something similar as well. Is your stove gas or electric?
Thanks!

Old 09-14-2010, 02:20 PM   #66
rico567

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I got some automotive firewall insulation from JC Whitney.....also the hi-temperature adhesive and foil tape. Not difficult to apply, and it's held up very well for two years.....including the heat of sitting on top of a turkey fryer burner since I went AG a year ago June. I've got a lot of the insulation left over, but there's probably no practical way for me to send it to you. Don't know how difficult it'll be for you to order that up in ON.....

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 09-14-2010, 03:20 PM   #67
Chips
Recipes 

That's good news it can withstand the heat of a turkey fryer (I also use one for BIAB). We have similar 'super auto parts' stores here, so perhaps I'll look for some next time I'm driving by one of those stores.
Thanks for the info!

Old 09-21-2010, 12:08 AM   #68
portalgod
Recipes 

2 Questions actually :

@Droylenz when you refer to efficiency in this thread, are you talking about extraction efficiency (mash efficiency) or total brewhouse efficiency?

Also, how do you prevent splashing when pouring the mash water and sparge water to and from the bucket? I can't manage to do it without splashing.

Old 09-30-2010, 06:05 PM   #69
DRoyLenz
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by portalgod View Post
2 Questions actually :

@Droylenz when you refer to efficiency in this thread, are you talking about extraction efficiency (mash efficiency) or total brewhouse efficiency?

Also, how do you prevent splashing when pouring the mash water and sparge water to and from the bucket? I can't manage to do it without splashing.
Hey All, thanks for the notes. I've been away from the Brewing Community for a couple months now, only checking in once and awhile. Irony is, I work to support my beer habit, but work is taking up too much time to enjoy my beer habit.

First question, total brewhouse efficiency was used (I think, it's been awhile since I've read this post).

Second question, this is the one part of the process I would like to iron out a bit more. I can't do a very good job of keeping the splashing down without an extra set of hands. I just pour gently and hope the HSA isn't too bad.

All-Grain Brewing with Extract Brewing Equipment

Old 12-18-2010, 08:00 PM   #70
DeadNutsBrewing
Recipes 

Great post. Im gonna have to try this very soon. Christmas brewday?

Quick Reply