Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > All-Grain Brewing with Extract Brewing Equipment (pics)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2009, 04:32 PM   #21
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 214 Times on 119 Posts

I've had equipment sitting outside with cleaning solution for a week. I think I'll take care of that tonight. Ugh.

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2009, 08:33 PM   #22
mc_eric
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

For anyone interested, I did split boils for about 5 or 6 batches (5 gal, AG) with these before I got my turkey fryer. That was when I lived in a house with a gas stove tho, my glass top electric stove just won't cut it. I think they were actually cheaper when I got them, but it looks like you can get em shipped free.

http://www.amazon.com/Prime-Pacific-...6239469&sr=8-4

Not a bad deal, hope this helps someone

Old 10-22-2009, 09:10 PM   #23
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 214 Times on 119 Posts

Split boil works great! Especially if you have a stove that cannot get 6+ gallons to a boil!

I even used it with 8 gallons of a russian imperial stout. This was a fine, fine beer, btw...

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/whos...tml#post497306

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 10-25-2009, 05:04 PM   #24
northernlad
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Thanks for showing me the most obvious way to venture into AG. Somehow it never occurred to me to just make a smaller batch.
My experience with cooking has proven that doubling or halving a recipe is not an even ratio. For some reason you cannot simply double the ingredients and get the same result as the base recipe. Does this phenomenon apply to AG or can I simply take the recipe of my choice and cut it in half?

Old 10-25-2009, 06:20 PM   #25
DRoyLenz
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

You can just cut any given recipe in half. You're going to have to make sure you recalculate the values of your strike and sparge water temperatures, because those will change with the less grain you have.

Old 10-25-2009, 11:57 PM   #26
opteek
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernlad View Post
My experience with cooking has proven that doubling or halving a recipe is not an even ratio. For some reason you cannot simply double the ingredients and get the same result as the base recipe. Does this phenomenon apply to AG or can I simply take the recipe of my choice and cut it in half?
I've also done a fair amount of cooking and I have never experienced this 'phenomenon' when scaling recipes. What sort of things do you cook?

Anyhow, I've been thinking about doing something like this for some time but it just seemed easier to wait till I had the money to buy AG equipment rather than doing it this way. This thread has proven me wrong and I will definitely be giving this a shot!

Old 10-26-2009, 04:12 AM   #27
DRoyLenz
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by opteek View Post
I've also done a fair amount of cooking and I have never experienced this 'phenomenon' when scaling recipes. What sort of things do you cook?

Anyhow, I've been thinking about doing something like this for some time but it just seemed easier to wait till I had the money to buy AG equipment rather than doing it this way. This thread has proven me wrong and I will definitely be giving this a shot!
You really should, it got me so stoked about brewing AG that I'm already working on my next recipe.

I learned A TON too... and it only adds an hour and a half, maybe 2 hours to the brew time...

All-Grain Brewing with Extract Brewing Equipment

Old 10-26-2009, 07:12 PM   #28
tcklord
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvax13 View Post
Thanks for the quick reply.

I figured I might be limited to 2.5g batches. If thats the case, then, assuming a recipe calls for a 5g boil, all that I need to do use half the ingredients, correct?

The electric stove works alright for 2-3 g, but anything more than that and I am waiting for a long time. I'll have to invest in that turkey fryer soon...
Sorry to be a little but if your electric stove will fit a canning element you could try that to improve your boil. I purchased one for my stove off ebay for 22.58 shipped. I also only have a 20qt kettle but I was able to get that to boil about an inch from the top without too much trouble when I installed it. The one I purchased is a 2600 watt element http://cgi.ebay.com/MP26KA-Electric-...item5ad43a073e

Old 10-26-2009, 09:19 PM   #29
corvax13
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcklord View Post
Sorry to be a little but if your electric stove will fit a canning element you could try that to improve your boil. I purchased one for my stove off ebay for 22.58 shipped. I also only have a 20qt kettle but I was able to get that to boil about an inch from the top without too much trouble when I installed it. The one I purchased is a 2600 watt element http://cgi.ebay.com/MP26KA-Electric-...item5ad43a073e
Unfortunately my stove is the kind that is completely flat - not sure what it's proper name is, but the heating elements are under the flat surface.. otherwise this idea would be great!

Furry Friend Brewery

Old 10-26-2009, 10:03 PM   #30
tcklord
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvax13 View Post
Unfortunately my stove is the kind that is completely flat - not sure what it's proper name is, but the heating elements are under the flat surface.. otherwise this idea would be great!
That's too bad. I have heard of a lot of people having problems with the flat/glass top electric stoves. Seems a pain if you don't have perfectly flat bottomed pots too.

Quick Reply