Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Ale Asylum Mercy Grand Cru

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2009, 01:57 PM   #1
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Ale Asylum Mercy Grand Cru

Ale Asylum Mercy Grand Cru - has anybody but me tried this awesome beer?

If so can you are there any brews LIKE this? I would love to clone it or even taste a brew LIKE it.

Beer Advocate says it's a Belgian Strong Dark Ale and a Belgian-styled Winter Warmer

Grinders Island Brewery - Pipeline

Bottled! Award winning East India Porter, Oatmeal Stout, Milk Stout, Saison fermenting at 85 degrees as I type.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2009, 06:43 PM   #2
passelin
Recipes 

I've never had the Mercy Grand Cru but i have had other beers of Ale Asylum and was impressed. I am thinking that its more of sour ale (flanders red) perhaps from the name. Maybe check out Rodenbach Grand Cru or a Flanders red

Old 03-28-2009, 07:01 PM   #3
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by passelin View Post
I've never had the Mercy Grand Cru but i have had other beers of Ale Asylum and was impressed. I am thinking that its more of sour ale (flanders red) perhaps from the name. Maybe check out Rodenbach Grand Cru or a Flanders red
No no. It is not a sour. I haven't had it, but I can tell by the description alone that it is just a dark strong of sorts. If you're letting the name Grand Cru lead you to believe that it might be sour, that's just not the case.

The Grand Cru is just a classification more than a style. It is supposed to be the premiere product of the brewery. The term originated in wineries, and the Belgian beer producers picked it up first. Typically a dark strong or a quad in variety, but it can be all over the map. Hoegaarden does an 8% wit that they call their Grand Cru.

Old 03-30-2009, 06:36 PM   #4
passelin
Recipes 

My bad. I made several assumptions that were incorrect.

Old 03-30-2009, 07:07 PM   #5
SumnerH
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Yeah, Grand Cru is just a "this is a flagship beer for our brewery" thing. It's mostly used by Belgian breweries, so most "Grand Cru" beers are a Belgian variety (Tripel/pale ale/witbier/Strong Dark/Strong pale/etc), but not always.

e.g. Diekirch Grand Cru is a Vienna lager

It's kind of like putting "Brewery Reserve" on the label. Feel free to use it for whatever beer you're proud of yourself!

On deck: Little Bo Pils, Bretta Off Dead (Brett pale)
Secondary: Oude Bruin, Red Sky at Morning (Sour brown ale)
On tap: Saison Duphunk (sour), Amarillo Slim (IPA), Earl White (ginger/bergamot wit)
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Quick Reply