Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Alcoholic/Solvent Taste

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2009, 09:29 PM   #1
rocketman768
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts

Default Alcoholic/Solvent Taste

So, in my AG munich sweet stout, everything tastes perfect except for this alcoholic/solvent taste. I know it's usually caused by fusels which are usually caused by high fermentation temps, but the whole time during the 3 week fermentation, temperature was 58-62F. The OG was 1.060-1.065, and FG was 1.020.

Also, I should mention that this is only after 1 week in the bottle (64-67F), so I don't know how much of it is due to being young. I just like to try a bottle every week until I think it's ready. Any ideas? Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2009, 09:30 PM   #2
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 9

What yeast did you use and if it was liquid, did you use a starter? It could be that it just needs more time to age as well.

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Old 02-10-2009, 09:45 PM   #3
rocketman768

Recipes 

I used Wyeast Kolsch since it can handle the cool temperatures (perhaps the only strain I can brew with in the winter). Yes, I made a starter, but it was slow to start fermenting in the primary, so I may have underpitched.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:31 PM   #4
rocketman768

Recipes 

Whatever the taste was, it is fading I think. I just cracked another one open yesterday, and the taste was almost wonderful! Best beer so far, and even my own recipe.

I just wish I knew which chemical the taste was.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:44 PM   #5
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 37 Posts

I've noticed hot alcohols in some hydro samples or un carbonated beer before. When its fully carbonated I'm expecting the taste will go away.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:48 PM   #6
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 39 Posts

I've noticed that higher carbonation levels seem to cover up fusel tastes as well.

A chemical reaction with the carbonic acid, or is the carbonation simply causing us to taste the fusels less?

Since my pop-skull cream ale is about gone, I'm going to make another (better) batch soon. I want to make sure it doesn't have the fusel issue, this time.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:48 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2749 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

1 week in the bottle is the issue...it's still green...give it a couple more weeks and you probably won't even notice the taste, it will mellow out.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-20-2009, 12:44 AM   #8
GoNova

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I know some claim that the "hot" taste will not go away with age. However, my first batch ever (APA) fermented a very warm temperatures and had a distinct fusels taste that many have described and virtually disappeared after about 4-5 weeks in the bottle. Really weird--it was almost like it happened overnight.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:53 AM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2749 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by novabrew View Post
I know some claim that the "hot" taste will not go away with age. However, my first batch ever (APA) fermented a very warm temperatures and had a distinct fusels taste that many have described and virtually disappeared after about 4-5 weeks in the bottle. Really weird--it was almost like it happened overnight.
There's quite a few stories like that here...

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/neve...en-beer-73254/

Usually a lot of off flavors are misdiagnosed an are really just green and do fade away...That's why it's usually not a good idea to "diagnose" an off flavor until about 4-6 weeks in the bottle...not when the beer is barely carbed and conditioned...at 6 weeks, I believe is when we should then pull out the list of common off flavors from Palmer or elsewhere and figure out what we did wrong...NOT while the beer is still young....Most of the time those so called off flavors are long gone by then.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-20-2009, 01:21 AM   #10
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 39 Posts

The cream ale I mentioned above has definitely gotten better as it aged, even in the kegerator.

It is actually pretty nice, now that the keg is almost dry.

That was a hot fermentation issue, I have no doubt. It was VERY hot in my office the first week it was in the better bottle.

Other than excessive heat during fermentation, what cause "hot" alcohols?

Quick Reply