The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Alcoholic ginger beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2010, 04:32 PM   #11
Hellfish76
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I've made some ginger beers after going to Australia and New Zealand and I've had some good success with a technique similar to Bob's suggestion.

Make an amber or pale ale, but add as much fresh ginger as you can. I grated 4 oz of fresh ginger root (if you freeze the ginger, you can grate it much easier) and added half of it at 60 min and half of it and 20 min of the boil.

I've also been experimenting with candied ginger (it's generally higher quality than the typical root you find in a supermarket) and it adds just a little extra sugar to be fermented.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2010, 09:15 PM   #12
storunner13
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

When I've made Ginger Ale Soda, I boiled about 1/2c of fresh grated ginger (in my blender) and the juice of 1 lemon per gallon for long enough until there was enough ginger bite for me. You might want to do the same...As I recall it may have taken 30 minutes or longer to get enough "bite" extracted..

Old 06-07-2010, 09:50 PM   #13
madbaldman
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by z987k View Post
Well traditionally Ginger beer has been soda with a hell of a ginger kick. The best I've had being Jamaican.
I had some great ginger beer in Barbados and I've thought about making an alcoholic version of that. I already make soda for my kids in 2 liter bottles. Couldn't I just add enough sugar to hit 5-6% ABV and when it hits the sweetness I like, then I cap it, let it sit a day to carb, then put it in the fridge?
Old 06-08-2010, 05:21 PM   #14
Sedge
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Forget Bourbon Porters, dose about 3/4 capfull of this nectar into any hoppy ale and you're talking about some delicious flavors. I love this stuff.

Fermenting: Flanders Red Ale
Conditioning: Blackberry Mead, Altbier, Cardamom Saison
Kegged: Vanilla Bourbon Porter, Belgian Strong Dark

Old 11-17-2010, 11:15 PM   #15
arroyobrewery
Recipes 

I recently made 2 batches of ginger beer (similar recipe to Moonshae's recipe) and may have a dilemma. I did not strain/filter out the 1.5lbs of ginger (or zest from 1 lemon) before racking into the primary. Its been fermenting for almost a week and appears to be fine but I'm not sure what to do at this point.

I realize that this was probably a mistake but my logic at the time was the couple times I've made mead with our homebrew club - some folks will rack directly onto oranges, limes, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Old 11-20-2010, 06:00 PM   #16
storunner13
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I don't forsee any problems. You might get more ginger flavor and bite than you anticipated, and perhaps a bit more lemon...which could make it better! As long as the bitter white stuff from the lemon was kept out you should be fine. Even if there's some white pith in there, the bitterness it would impart probably wouldn't be too noticeable.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:14 PM   #17
rottenpotato
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

update: I have since made multiple ginger "wines". My favorite to date was a result of boiling about 1-1.5 lbs chopped ginger with approx. 5lbs table sugar and the juice of 10 limes. The acid in the limes made for a slightly slower fermentation, I think about 3-4 weeks instead of my usual 10 days for apple wine, but it came out tasting great! I used Red Star Champagne yeast and ended up dumping some ginger juice from my juicer at the end to give it an extra kick.

Just recently bought a copy of Kingsly Amis' "Everyday Drinking" which has cocktail recipes using ginger wine, maybe I will start another batch soon! Think of the dark and stormys you could make (damn, why didnt I think of that when I had it on hand? I guess I'm not usually a rum drinker)

Old 12-09-2010, 12:14 AM   #18
theredben
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I used to buy "Jamaican" ginger beer (non-alcoholic, strong soda) at the grocery store for 2.50 a bottle and figured I could brew that at home for way less. Some searching online led me to Ginger Beer Plant. I found a place in the UK http://gingerbeerplant.net/ that sells the starter and directions for use.
This kind of culture does not need sanitation like brewing yeast, just basic cleanliness so it is much simpler to brew a batch. The only problem is that the yeast will eat all the sugars in the brew given enough time. So you need to brew it like one a week or so. A bit of work, but it sure does taste good. A bit of fine tuning of my recipe and now it tastes just like it should. My mom said it tastes just how she remembers it from the grocery store decades ago when it came in crockery.

Old 01-23-2013, 04:21 PM   #19
waxhaw-new-brew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

i made moonshae's recipe, but i used an ale yeaset as it's all i had. it was great, though i think the ale yeast kind of took the sweet out of it and it took forever to ferment. will be making again with the proper yeast in a week or so. and this time i will take gravity readings, i'm curious how strong it is...seems like the longer it's been bottled the more "knock me on my arse" it's gotten.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:40 PM   #20
willberthepig
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am looking to make a 5 gallon batch of ginger beer too. I'm gonna keg mine for a summer event. I'll have to make a smaller test batch sometime soon since I want to know I'll get a good 5 gallons for the event I'm brewing for at the end of the summer.

I had Crabbies Ginger Beer, which is about 5 percent alcohol content, a few times in the past couple weeks at a bar downtown. It's amazing! Really good! If you've ever had a good non-alcoholic ginger beer; it just tastes like that but there's alcohol too. They can sneak up on you. Would be a great summer treat to make though. Very refreshing! Hoping to find a good recipe online too. Will let you know if I find something too!

Quick Reply