New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Alcohol Transportation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2011, 01:06 AM   #1
Smidey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Alcohol Transportation

Hey guys,

I can't find the pertinent laws for Pennsylvania, so I figured I would just ask my favorite forum. My sister is 20 and would like to transport some of my new homebrew within the state for her boyfriend's 21st Bday. Is it legal for her to transport the beer by herself or does she have to have someone who is 21 in the car? My thoughts were that she had to have someone who is 21 in there, but I figured that I should at least ask

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2011, 01:09 AM   #2
sagnew440
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Is it legal, probably not. But I would just put it in the trunk and tell her not to get pulled over.

Old 05-06-2011, 01:33 AM   #4
Hex
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Not advocating any crime, but possibly a loophole, if an adult were to lock the alcohol in a container and mail the key to the recipient, or better yet use a combination lock on a metal locker and phone the combo to the recipient, then there would be no basis for:

"Constructive Possession

Constructive possession is a legal theory used to extend possession to situations where a person has no hands-on custody of an object. Most courts say that constructive possession, also sometimes called "possession in law," exists where a person has knowledge of an object plus the ability to control the object, even if the person has no physical contact with it (United States

v. Derose, 74 F.3d 1177 [11th Cir. 1996]). For example, people often keep important papers and other valuable items in a bank safety deposit box. Although they do not have actual physical custody of these items, they do have knowledge of the items and the ability to exercise control over them. Thus, under the doctrine of constructive possession, they are still considered in possession of the contents of their safety deposit box. Constructive possession is frequently used in cases involving criminal possession."

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/constructive+possession

Old 05-06-2011, 01:33 AM   #5
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 217 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagnew440 View Post
Is it legal, probably not. But I would just put it in the trunk and tell her not to get pulled over.
I would go with this, put it in the trunk and drive carefully. If she did get pulled over, what are the chances they will search her car. And as long as she doesn't start drinking you homebrews on the way home, the story of a 20 year old taking her brothers homebrew home for her boyfreinds 21st would probably end up with the cop not caring - to much paperwork for no real benifit to society. Just my $0.02

Old 05-06-2011, 01:39 AM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2661 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3452

I pmmned Airbornguy, our resident Law enforcement officer. He might have some insight. I don't think it's really an issue. how often does a vehicle get searched during a traffic stop if there's no probable cause for something beyond the initial stop anyway?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-06-2011, 01:40 AM   #7
o4_srt
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattd2

I would go with this, put it in the trunk and drive carefully. If she did get pulled over, what are the chances they will search her car. And as long as she doesn't start drinking you homebrews on the way home, the story of a 20 year old taking her brothers homebrew home for her boyfreinds 21st would probably end up with the cop not caring - to much paperwork for no real benifit to society. Just my $0.02
Besides, without probable cause, or a warrant, can a LEO legally search a car without owners consent?

Conditioning: Muddy Paw Nut Brown Ale, Jump The Fence Independence Cream Ale

Old 05-06-2011, 01:42 AM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3858 Times on 2819 Posts
Likes Given: 644

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I pmmned Airbornguy, our resident Law enforcement officer. He might have some insight. I don't think it's really an issue. how often does a vehicle get searched during a traffic stop if there's no probable cause for something beyond the initial stop anyway?
True. but that doesn't make it legal!

The law is clear. In PA, if you are under 21, you cannot be in possession of alcoholic beverages no matter how they got there. Even if you have a note from your mom!

(don't laugh- I've had my daughter pick up stuff at the homebrew store in Wisconsin for me. She's now over 21, but I hated sending her in there to buy stuff, even though it was 100% legal for her to pick up my DME for yeast starters!)

Old 05-06-2011, 01:46 AM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2661 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
(don't laugh- I've had my daughter pick up stuff at the homebrew store in Wisconsin for me. She's now over 21, but I hated sending her in there to buy stuff, even though it was 100% legal for her to pick up my DME for yeast starters!)
It's funny, I was getting my gear together for Natl Homebrew Day and since I'm doing a burton ale I picked up some stuff today from the lhbs for tweaking the water, I now have all these ziplock baggies from them filled with strange white powders. It would not be too fun to have those tossed carelessly in the back seat of my car and get pulled over.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-06-2011, 01:53 AM   #10
JRems
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Some of my kegs have a loop on the bail to put a lock on. With a lock on the lid cannot be opened. As long as there is no disconnects In the car or way to open the keg there is no way to access the beer so it should be legal.

Quick Reply