Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Alcohol purchase waiver?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2011, 10:08 AM   #21
petey_c
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'd just take my business elsewhere. When I was active duty in Ca. ('83) I had a store clerk refuse to accept my military ID to buy beer, because it wasn't state issued.... Yeah, the good old days, when people thought you might be under aged. How come no one asks me anymore???

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2011, 10:30 AM   #22
jfrank85
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 12

You'd think they'd lose money on paper and loss of repeat business.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:08 AM   #23
Beer_Maker
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 4 Posts

Lots of good ideas here on how to make it less than easy for them to do. What ever you do make sure you vocalize it to them some how. It's not going to change if you just stop patronizing their store.

-Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:11 AM   #24
dzlater
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamial View Post
Sounds like a job for a permanent black wide tipped marker...Think John Hancock all over the front of the form, blacking out all possible information. As a bonus if you write slow enough it will bleed out onto the counter or other forms. Who is to say that is not your signature?

You could also bring in a counter protection form that the clerk would need to sign that basically reads that the clerk and business waives the right to sue you for the distribution of alcohol to minors, "For your protection."

You could also bring in a lawyer buddy to offer legal advice and make sure the "forms are in order"...especially when they are busy.

It will only take a few times of this kind of stuff and that form will never get filled out again. Remember inconvenience is a 2 way street and as long as you are nice the whole time, there is very little they can do but change the policy...
I like these tactics, Take about five minutes to read the form, ask questions, "excuse me ma'am but could explain this part I don't understand?"

This seems like the kind of thing that managers implement, workers are forced to for a while till they get tired of it and the managers move on to the next stupid idea.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:23 PM   #25
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 207 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 366

which sendiks? i've been looking for Le Terroir

The man who intoxicates himself on bad whisky is sometimes moved to kill his wife and set his house on fire, but the victim of applejack is capable of blowing up a whole town with dynamite and of reciting original poetry to every surviving inhabitant.

– "A Wicked Beverage," New York Times, April 10, 1894

Old 03-16-2011, 01:39 PM   #26
Egghead
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

What state did this happen in? I've never heard of this practice, nor of that store.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:57 PM   #27
ArtVandelay
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I like all of the ideas. It was an unusual situation that just rubbed me the wrong way. Again, this has never happened before at this particular store, or anywhere else for that matter, so I don't know if it is the policy of one cashier or the entire store.

I plan on calling the store to discuss this policy and decide if I should go back. It's so close to my house and has such a nice selection that will be hard to do.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:58 PM   #28
ArtVandelay
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by motobrewer View Post
which sendiks? i've been looking for Le Terroir
Sendiks on Capitol drive in Brookfield. Le Terroir was quite delicious IMO

Old 03-16-2011, 03:29 PM   #29
DubBrew

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I had an annoying situation at a United Dairy Farmers convenience store. Went in to buy a sixer to take to a friends house. My wife walked in with me and we are both 30. I went to the register and she walked towards the door. They asked for both of our ids. I was in a crap mood and my wife left hers in the car so I argued with them. She had nothing to do with the beer. It was my credit card, she never touched the beer and she wasnt even in line with me. I complained and haven't been back for a year and a half. It is really close to my house and I went there about there several times a week before work.

Voted with my wallet. Bad part is they could probably care less, but I'm to stubborn so I inconvenience myself on a regular basis.

Should I get over it or stand on my principles?

Next Up: Trippel

http://twitter.com/Tom_Ayers
Untappd: DubBrew
BJCP Certified

Old 03-16-2011, 03:44 PM   #30
asidrane
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I understand getting annoyed with the sort of stuff. I've gotten annoyed at way less offensive things in the past. That being said, if you want the beer/don't want to inconvenience yourself, you might as well put up with the bs. In the end you really only hurt yourself by not getting what you want where you want it.

Quick Reply