*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Alcohol purchase waiver?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2011, 03:46 AM   #11
RMitch
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Sounds like the packie has a reputation for distributing to minors.

This paper basically sounds like a means of deferring responsibility to the individual purchasing the alcohol.

I had an older lady turn my ID down once, at age 22, with a picture on it that was taken when I was 21. It was perfectly valid, not expired or anything. I got a chuckle out of it, and went on to the next place.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2011, 04:13 AM   #12
VegasBrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Welcome to the world of indiscriminate litigation. I don`t blame the clerk, it is the store owner, he may have been sued and/or fined in the past and can`t afford the liability. I wouldn't `t be surprised if an insurance company somewhere has come up with this to lower liability and insurance premiums. Just don`t shoot the messenger.

VB

Old 03-16-2011, 04:54 AM   #13
jiggs_casey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Is this something that you can challenge her / them with the next time it happens? "No, I don't want to fill that form out but, I want to buy that bottle." If there isn't any law that requires that form to be filled out, just don't let her. If the clerk persists, call out the manager, if he persists, call out the owner.

Maybe ask if they do it to every customer that buys alcohol and if that answer is 'no', see how they might feel about a discrimination lawsuit. "You're making me sign a waiver that says I won't distribute my rather expensive 22oz bottle of beer to minors based on the fact that I am young and dressed nice?" It probably won't hold water anywhere but, it would be kinda fun...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigeb View Post
It's my God-given right to be as stupid as I want to be. How dare the government get in the way.
Go Beer!

Old 03-16-2011, 04:57 AM   #14
GeoGirl
Recipes 

It sounds like this place was recently popped for underage selling. I would be calling and speaking to the manager or owner about it and telling them that you will not be back. Just silently stopping your shopping there won't really do much but telling them why you are stopping and that you have let a few hundred folks on a forum (and I would assume in person) know that they are doing this does make a difference.

Old 03-16-2011, 04:59 AM   #15
Bottenbrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yeah being young isn't a protected class, so there isn't a discrimination law suit there. My guess is they are assuming that someone close to those who are underage is more likely to buy for said underage people and thus instituted the policy. I am definitely not boned up on WI law, but in most cases for liability, a sheet of paper waiving liability hastily written like this isn't going to do what they want it to do.

Old 03-16-2011, 05:16 AM   #16
RMitch
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Maybe I've had a few too many homebrews tonight (cliffs: ) but does it really matter? You got your brews.

Old 03-16-2011, 06:07 AM   #17
bgrayson726
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Did you use an out of state license? I go to Bevmo and get carded and have to sign something each time (after they write down my info). I go to school in Arizona, but still have an Illinois license.

Old 03-16-2011, 06:43 AM   #18
RIT_Warrior
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Once a cashier who carded me at Stop&Shop told me I was under 21 after she entered my birthdate into her infallible computer while I was trying to buy a sixer of Guiness 250th anniversary (I was 24 at the time). I tried using basic math..."what is 109-85", that sort of thing, but could not sway her. I asked to see her manager, but she was the manager.

I left it, thinking I would buy a sixer at another store. Never saw that particular beer again.

Another time, at a liquor store in MA, the cashier rather rudely demanded my ID and then proceeded to walk away to a line of cashiers standing in front of some form of police scanner. Without informing me she just scanned my ID and compared it against some government database. My friend and I agreed to never go to that place again, even though they had a nice selection.

Old 03-16-2011, 06:55 AM   #19
MRbutlertron
Recipes 

Had the same thing happen to me and my girlfriend a few weeks ago when we picked up a 6 pack. I was reading over the form before I gave my signature when the clerk told me that "It didn't matter what the form said, just that I sign it." I laughed at him, read it over, and will never go back.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:47 AM   #20
Zamial
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Sounds like a job for a permanent black wide tipped marker...Think John Hancock all over the front of the form, blacking out all possible information. As a bonus if you write slow enough it will bleed out onto the counter or other forms. Who is to say that is not your signature?

You could also bring in a counter protection form that the clerk would need to sign that basically reads that the clerk and business waives the right to sue you for the distribution of alcohol to minors, "For your protection."

You could also bring in a lawyer buddy to offer legal advice and make sure the "forms are in order"...especially when they are busy.

It will only take a few times of this kind of stuff and that form will never get filled out again. Remember inconvenience is a 2 way street and as long as you are nice the whole time, there is very little they can do but change the policy...

Quick Reply