The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Alcohol purchase waiver?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2011, 02:42 AM   #1
ArtVandelay
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default Alcohol purchase waiver?

Anyone ever have to sign one of these? Really weird situation happened to me.

To start off, I'm 26 and was dressed in business attire and was shopping at Sendiks in an affluent neighborhood.

I look at sendiks beer selection as always because it's pretty decent and see a bottle of new Belgium Le Terroir dry hopped sour at $8 a bomber. I decide to purchse since I've never had this before. I walk to the register of an approximately 60 yr old lady. I put down my one bottle of beer, paper plates, and lemon pudding ready to pay. Lady asks for some ID which happens from time to time, no big deal.

Then the weird part happens. She pulled put a pad of forms to fill out and takes my ID and starts filling in my info on it. I ask her what this is about and she says, " oh it is a waiver to sign that says you will not distribute this to minors because if they get hurt I could lose job.". I hesitantly say okay and mention that that is pretty unique beer to give to a minor. I didn't mention the fact that I only purchased ONE and it's $8 a bottle! She half apologetically agreed with me. I again mentioned that it was a really weird beer to give to a minor and told her that shed be more productive doing this with cases of bud light and handles of vodka. She asked if it was "heavy" and I said "less than wine". I asked if she does this with everyone and she said only if they are within 5 years.

I was never rude but she could tell I was annoyed. I've had this happen before. If she feels she needs to protect herself, fine but use some discretion and don't criminalize my legal purchase of rather expensive beer. Theyll probably lose thousands of dollars in purchases from me because I will not be buying from them again.

Sorry for the long post but WTF? I guess I should know better than to fulfill orders from rich high school kids with a great palate who like a nice sour after Recess

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2011, 03:06 AM   #2
Hermit
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtVandelay View Post
Anyone ever have to sign one of these? Really weird situation happened to me.

To start off, I'm 26 and was dressed in business attire and was shopping at Sendiks in an affluent neighborhood.

I look at sendiks beer selection as always because it's pretty decent and see a bottle of new Belgium Le Terroir dry hopped sour at $8 a bomber. I decide to purchse since I've never had this before. I walk to the register of an approximately 60 yr old lady. I put down my one bottle of beer, paper plates, and lemon pudding ready to pay. Lady asks for some ID which happens from time to time, no big deal.

Then the weird part happens. She pulled put a pad of forms to fill out and takes my ID and starts filling in my info on it. I ask her what this is about and she says, " oh it is a waiver to sign that says you will not distribute this to minors because if they get hurt I could lose job.". I hesitantly say okay and mention that that is pretty unique beer to give to a minor. I didn't mention the fact that I only purchased ONE and it's $8 a bottle! She half apologetically agreed with me. I again mentioned that it was a really weird beer to give to a minor and told her that shed be more productive doing this with cases of bud light and handles of vodka. She asked if it was "heavy" and I said "less than wine". I asked if she does this with everyone and she said only if they are within 5 years.

I was never rude but she could tell I was annoyed. I've had this happen before. If she feels she needs to protect herself, fine but use some discretion and don't criminalize my legal purchase of rather expensive beer. Theyll probably lose thousands of dollars in purchases from me because I will not be buying from them again.

Sorry for the long post but WTF? I guess I should know better than to fulfill orders from rich high school kids with a great palate who like a nice sour after Recess
I call bull****. I would have left the bottle for them to put back.

Old 03-16-2011, 03:12 AM   #3
krj
Recipes 

As someone who used to work retail, it is not really fair to blame the employees for stuff like this; most of them think it's just as ridiculous as you do. I worked at a convenience store that didn't sell alcohol, so I'm not sure what the rules are regarding that, but we would have random people from Philip Morris and RJ Reynolds come in to buy cigarettes and if you did not card everyone "under 27" you could be fired, and possibly fined if it was an underage person from the state. When you are getting paid $8 an hour and it is your only job, you don't really care if you're pissing off one person if it's making it so you don't get in trouble.

Old 03-16-2011, 03:21 AM   #4
Benthic
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 12

No worries. Just vote with your wallet. If you don't like the way a particular store does business--then take your business elsewhere.

Brian

Old 03-16-2011, 03:24 AM   #5
ArtVandelay
Recipes 

I think it is fair to blame her. I'm completely fine with getting carded but to sign a waiver? Give me a break. I've purchased alcohol at hundreds of places before, sometimes carded and sometimes not but never had to sign a waiver. I've purchased at this same store and not had to do this.

I don't know the legality of this but how would a retailer be responsible for what I, as a legal aged adult, am going to do with it? If I gave it to a minor and they were some how died from it, I would be responsible. I don't see how the retailer has any responsibility in this or are we in the same situation here as gun stores being responsible for crimes committed with guns from their store?

Old 03-16-2011, 03:25 AM   #6
count_dookie
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by krj View Post
As someone who used to work retail, it is not really fair to blame the employees for stuff like this; most of them think it's just as ridiculous as you do. I worked at a convenience store that didn't sell alcohol, so I'm not sure what the rules are regarding that, but we would have random people from Philip Morris and RJ Reynolds come in to buy cigarettes and if you did not card everyone "under 27" you could be fired, and possibly fined if it was an underage person from the state. When you are getting paid $8 an hour and it is your only job, you don't really care if you're pissing off one person if it's making it so you don't get in trouble.
I agree with this, all the business law classes I've had make it seem as though everyone is out to get you. And they are, the business is trying to cover its ass in case someone is buying for an underage kid. And nothing is too expensive for a brat with their parents money trying to get drunk underage. I knew a guy in high school that gave a homeless guy 20 bucks to get him a 6 pack of BMC

Old 03-16-2011, 03:32 AM   #7
ArtVandelay
Recipes 

I guess the question is whether this is isolated to this one employee or its a new store policy. If I have to do this every time, I'm done with them

Old 03-16-2011, 03:37 AM   #8
CAustin919
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtVandelay View Post
I think it is fair to blame her. I'm completely fine with getting carded but to sign a waiver? Give me a break. I've purchased alcohol at hundreds of places before, sometimes carded and sometimes not but never had to sign a waiver. I've purchased at this same store and not had to do this.

I don't know the legality of this but how would a retailer be responsible for what I, as a legal aged adult, am going to do with it? If I gave it to a minor and they were some how died from it, I would be responsible. I don't see how the retailer has any responsibility in this or are we in the same situation here as gun stores being responsible for crimes committed with guns from their store?
I completely agree. I don't completely understand having one customer sign the waiver but not the next?? only within 5 years??

Unless they actually sell to a minor... or sell to an adult knowing full well there is a minor waiting with open mouth.. or sell to an intoxicated adult.. then the retailers liability ends when you walk out the door.

Old 03-16-2011, 03:38 AM   #9
Freestyle
Recipes 

Default waiver?

Only when buying OTC medication containing efedrine have I ever signed a piece of paper, never beer!

Old 03-16-2011, 03:43 AM   #10
ArtVandelay
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAustin919

I completely agree. I don't completely understand having one customer sign the waiver but not the next?? only within 5 years??

Unless they actually sell to a minor... or sell to an adult knowing full well there is a minor waiting with open mouth.. or sell to an intoxicated adult.. then the retailers liability ends when you walk out the door.
I guess the logic in this illogical situation regarding the within five years thing is some how if you are within 5 years you are more likely to associate with people under 21? I don't know what would have happened if I was 27

I also fail to see their liability. Maybe someone can explain that to me.

Quick Reply