Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Alberta bans extra-strong beer over binge risk

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2010, 01:58 AM   #11
jfr1111
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Ever heard of all the Barleywine binge-drinking teens in Alberta ? Me neither... I never understood any law that puts a ban on alcohol related items because of elevated alcohol levels: just tax the crap out of it already and still make it available. People will grumble, but it will still sell... Dumb politicians missing on money.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2010, 01:59 AM   #12
AKbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I wonder how the bureaucrats came up with 11.9%. Why not 12% or 10% or 5%. What unadulterated BS.

Old 12-03-2010, 08:23 AM   #13
Keefer
Recipes 

This has to be the reason for the ban. It's been banned in many places in the states recently, and is 12% alcohol. Just over the limit.

Also, marketed towards younger drinkers.

Old 12-03-2010, 08:40 AM   #14
Fantastical
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

And Alberta has less strict liquor laws as well... Most of the time.....

Old 12-03-2010, 11:35 AM   #15
KeithMoonsLiver
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

It's no surprise how incompetent our governments are, what's terrifying is how they are trying to get more and more control over our daily lives (and succeeding).

Old 12-03-2010, 11:49 AM   #16
biochemedic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keefer View Post
http://blogdailyherald.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Four_Loko_BlueJan10.jpg

This has to be the reason for the ban. It's been banned in many places in the states recently, and is 12% alcohol. Just over the limit.

Also, marketed towards younger drinkers.
Interesting theory...but why cap the ABV just to ban a particular product!? Why not just ban EtOH/Caffeine combos....that is what is happening in the various states where Four Loko is influincing bans.

For better or worse though, people will find a way around things....4 Loko and other pre-caffinated alco-pops will be banned, but people will still drink their Red Bull tonics or just take No-Doz and drink Boone's !

Oh, and 11.9% is a pretty low cap...I think NC's is somewhere around 14% (although I'd like it to be higher so I could get things like 120 Min IPA and Utopia here...)
Secondary: Why do I keep this line here...?
Bulk Aging: Cocobochet
Planned: Hop Metheglin #3 (NZ hops), Trad. Gesho T'ej

Old 12-03-2010, 12:53 PM   #17
Zamial
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 7

If they are REALLY worried about binge drinking wouldn't they be MORE concerned about Vortex bottles? I mean it makes the beer come out faster and it tastes like water, eh?

Old 12-03-2010, 07:38 PM   #18
Keefer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biochemedic View Post
Interesting theory...but why cap the ABV just to ban a particular product!? Why not just ban EtOH/Caffeine combos....that is what is happening in the various states where Four Loko is influincing bans.

For better or worse though, people will find a way around things....4 Loko and other pre-caffinated alco-pops will be banned, but people will still drink their Red Bull tonics or just take No-Doz and drink Boone's !

Oh, and 11.9% is a pretty low cap...I think NC's is somewhere around 14% (although I'd like it to be higher so I could get things like 120 Min IPA and Utopia here...)
I agree with you on all your points. I didn't agree with the Fourloko ban to begin with, as people have been drinking Vodka/Jager and Red Bull for quite some time, and nobody has complained about that. I guess their colorful logos really shot themselves in the foot.

If in fact this Alberta law is against Fourloko, I think they really screwed up here. Like you said, they should've just banned the alcohol/caffeine combos like they've been doing in the states. I don't think that anyone drinking 12+% REAL beers is doing so just to get plastered.

Old 12-03-2010, 08:49 PM   #19
HumanGarbage
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keefer View Post
I agree with you on all your points. I didn't agree with the Fourloko ban to begin with, as people have been drinking Vodka/Jager and Red Bull for quite some time, and nobody has complained about that. I guess their colorful logos really shot themselves in the foot.

If in fact this Alberta law is against Fourloko, I think they really screwed up here. Like you said, they should've just banned the alcohol/caffeine combos like they've been doing in the states. I don't think that anyone drinking 12+% REAL beers is doing so just to get plastered.
I don't believe Four Loko and the like are even legal for sale in Canada at all. I've never seen it FWIW.

We have some strange laws about what beverages can contain caffeine. I know back a few years ago soft drinks could only have it if they were some sort of cola. Our Mountain Dew had no caffeine in it. Energy drinks (as opposed to soda) can in some cases. I'm pretty sure energy drinks can't contain alcohol, but I can't find a link to confirm. Its all too confusing to understand, and this law doesn't help.

We just love banning stuff in Canada obviously... My favorite in this province is the new body armor ban. What that is supposed to accomplish I have no clue.

Quick Reply