New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Alberta bans extra-strong beer over binge risk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2010, 09:26 PM   #1
prosper
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Alberta bans extra-strong beer over binge risk

D'oh! Reason number 458,211 why politicians and bureaucrats all suck balls:

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/story/2010/11/30/calgary-alberta-beer-alcohol-content-ban.html

Alberta bans extra-strong beer over binge risk
By CBC News
CBC News
The Alberta Gaming and Liquor Commission has banned the sale of beers with alcohol content of more than 11.9 per cent.

Beer lovers can no longer get their mitts on some high-alcohol, upscale brews in Alberta's beer and liquor stores.

The Alberta Gaming and Liquor Commission has banned the sale of beers with alcohol content of more than 11.9 per cent. The AGLC, which has concerns the beers might be associated with binge drinking, sent out a notification to the stores last Friday.

"We want to make sure that if these high-alcohol products are available, that they are marketed appropriately," said AGLC spokeswoman Lynn Hutchings-Mah.

A spokesman for DeLancey Direct Inc., a Calgary-based Canadian importer of craft beers, said the ban makes no sense. Most of the affected beers are high-end and are not bought by people looking to get drunk, said Christian Finz.

'It's their responsibility to enjoy in moderation.'- Dave Gingrich, beer manager
"Teenagers don't go for these high-end beers," said Finz. "These beers are mostly meant for ... beer lovers, beer geeks that really love their beer. These are sipping beers where you ... have one bottle an evening."

He added that many of the extra-strong beers cost between $8 and $12 per bottle.

Dave Gingrich, beer manager for Willow Park Wines & Spirits in Calgary, said he was "appalled" when he heard of the new restrictions. He said the taste of these high-alcohol beers is similar to that of fortified wine and they should be enjoyed like wine.

"I think, personally, it's just the people. It's their responsibility to enjoy in moderation," Gingrich said, pointing out that there's abuse of every category of drink.

Hutchings-Mah, however, said there's a possibility that some high-alcohol beers could be less expensive and could be targeted at younger drinkers.

The AGLC suspended sales of the beers until a report can examine whether they contribute to binge drinking. That report will likely be presented to the AGLC board next spring.

Stores will be allowed to sell their current stock, but won't be able to order any more high-alcohol beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2010, 09:35 PM   #2
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4526 Times on 4246 Posts
Likes Given: 52

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f19/alberta-bans-extra-strong-beer-209199/

Reason number 1 no-one else is surprised by this.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:53 PM   #3
prosper
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

lol - my bad

Old 12-02-2010, 09:54 PM   #4
dvdanny
Recipes 

I am pretty sure people binge drink on cheap low alcohol beer not expensive big brews... and here I was thinking canada had all the answers...

Primary:
"Armored Pegasus" - Extra IPA
Bottled:
"Queen of Thrace" Almond Cream Stout, "Genesis" Ancient Hebrew Smoked Date Beer, "Lumberjack" Maple Dunkelweizen (10% abv), "1776" Molasses Porter, "Scarecrow" American heavily hopped Hefe, "Iron Horse" American Amber

Old 12-02-2010, 10:18 PM   #5
jessup
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdanny View Post
I am pretty sure people binge drink on cheap low alcohol beer not expensive big brews... and here I was thinking canada had all the answers...
11.9% is a generous cap. unless there's big difference in the conversion to metric i'd choose canade > US any day.

set I: Pale (3) -> Mild (4-5) -> amber / Victory (20-25) -> special roast (40-50) -> brown (70)
set II: pilsner (2) -> Vienna (3-4) -> Munich (8-10) -> dark Munich (20) -> aromatic / melanoiden (25-30)
encore: smoked (5)

Old 12-02-2010, 10:25 PM   #6
dvdanny
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessup View Post
11.9% is a generous cap. unless there's big difference in the conversion to metric i'd choose canade > US any day.
It's not really about the generousity of the cap, it's the lack of basic logic that it takes the pass a law like that.

Primary:
"Armored Pegasus" - Extra IPA
Bottled:
"Queen of Thrace" Almond Cream Stout, "Genesis" Ancient Hebrew Smoked Date Beer, "Lumberjack" Maple Dunkelweizen (10% abv), "1776" Molasses Porter, "Scarecrow" American heavily hopped Hefe, "Iron Horse" American Amber

Old 12-02-2010, 10:29 PM   #7
snccoulter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Anouther example of the state deciding how you should live and what is good for you. I say the state should stay out of peoples drinking habits unless they are to young to drink......

“Fairy tales don't tell children that dragons exist; children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children that dragons can be killed.”
― G.K. Chesterton
http://whatalesyou.webs.com/

Old 12-02-2010, 11:50 PM   #8
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessup View Post
Nonsense. Wine starts at about that ABV.....so why not ban all wine, then? Just more kneejerk unwarranted bureaucratic meddling.

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 12-03-2010, 12:28 AM   #9
Hannable1975
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 17

WHAT ?!?!?!? As an uncultured American, I hold Canada to an expectation of Mounted Police, lax pot law enforcement, and super strong beers. What's next - someone gonna tell me that Santa is not real?!?

Old 12-03-2010, 12:40 AM   #10
jessup
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

fwiw i'm from the police state of new jersey anything seems good in comparison. don't get me wrong, though, it does suck.

set I: Pale (3) -> Mild (4-5) -> amber / Victory (20-25) -> special roast (40-50) -> brown (70)
set II: pilsner (2) -> Vienna (3-4) -> Munich (8-10) -> dark Munich (20) -> aromatic / melanoiden (25-30)
encore: smoked (5)

Quick Reply