Alabama vote.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've heard nothing new on the homebrewing front in Alabama. Rumour is probably all it is. I'm sure things will crank up after the first of the year.

Ok.. seriously, spill... I have been checking there since you sent this up and they have not updated.

I just said sign up for the e-mail list. No need to check the site daily till it's updated. When the official word gets put out, it'll show up right in your inbox.

Alabamahomebrew.org, where secrets go to die.

Hmmm - yeah, don't know anything about that site.... but I think you mean - Alabama State House: Where things move slower than molasses.

Problem is - there is nothing to report until the bill is up for a vote. There are no secerets "to die".

I'd say that's complete BS. Apparently you think that the bill magically writes itself, finds its own sponsors, does it's own promoting, writes its own calls to action, and calls all the legislators on it's own.

The only way that you can hold the opinion that there is "Nothing to Report" outside the vote is if you are one of the ones in the state who does absolutely nothing to support the legalization effort except post on forums about why the bill that is up for a vote is unacceptable. There have been meetings with legislators, commitments from legislators, plans for bill promotion, PR plans, several news articles supporting homebrewing legalization, and countless other things that have happened since the end of the last session.

I just said sign up for the e-mail list. No need to check the site daily till it's updated. When the official word gets put out, it'll show up right in your inbox.

Really, your previous post in this thread indicated something was going down.

I hear rumors that there is big news about to break.

So truth is, nothing is happening and you just wanted to bump the thread?

Really, your previous post in this thread indicated something was going down.

So truth is, nothing is happening and you just wanted to bump the thread?

Something is, but I think he's holding it close to the vest to let the principles announce it. If true, and I believe it is, it's good news. :ban:

Why are you guys 'looking' for it?

There's no need to hunt. Get on the e-mail list or follow the group on Twitter. You'll have it delivered right to you as soon as it's official.

When will that be? Hell if we know. Refer to the comment on Molasses earlier...

it's illegal to home brew in Alabama? eff that! I'd move.

I found out there is a 'so many gallons per adult, per house' law in PA. The guys at the LHBS told me it was 350 gallons/yr or something like that.

Why are you guys 'looking' for it?

There's no need to hunt. Get on the e-mail list or follow the group on Twitter. You'll have it delivered right to you as soon as it's official.

When will that be? Hell if we know. Refer to the comment on Molasses earlier...

I have been on the email list for a long time, it's kind of bugged... I have maybe received 1/2 the email updates for news that has been posted. It has happened enough that I don't even consider the auto-emails as a source and just go directly to the site.

I found out there is a 'so many gallons per adult, per house' law in PA. The guys at the LHBS told me it was 350 gallons/yr or something like that.
Even if PA allowed 350/yr you would be way over the federal limit of 100/yr per person or 200/yr per household of two or more persons. I suspect PA law mirrors this.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/27/25.205

You'd move from a state just because it's illegal to home brew?

We have had 1 arrest in Alabama for illegal home brewing and that was because his neighbors saw his gear and thought he had a meth lab. There is no evidence that he was even convicted for home brewing

I have been on the email list for a long time, it's kind of bugged... I have maybe received 1/2 the email updates for news that has been posted. It has happened enough that I don't even consider the auto-emails as a source and just go directly to the site.

To not be a source of spam, there isn't that much that is sent out on the list. They do a pretty good job of only sending things that are really important. If you know that there are ones that have gone out that you missed, PM me your info and I'll pass that over to the folks that manage the list.

Or just drive traffic to the website and subscriptions to the newsletter.

Yeah, cause I get some benefit out of that. In fact, nobody gets any benefit out of that. Not even the legalization effort. There are no ads, no payments, no info sold to anyone, nothing.

Jesus Christ you kinda of folks make it miserable to do anything like this. If you want to "feel like you are out of the loop" and "like you're not informed about what is going on" as some people like to fuss about, then it's simple, hang out here and get your info through heresay. I simply made a recommendation that if you wanted to be in the first group of folks to know the latest info about the 2013 session and what was coming for the Bill, if you weren't on the e-mail list now would be a good time to get on there.

When all the details of the bit of info we heard are finalized, they will release the info. How long that takes I have no idea. It's the Legislature, nothing we can do.

If I were to say 'hey we heard this' and it turned out to not be true you are all the ones that would be screaming and hollering saying I was lying just to drive traffic to the website or some other crap like that.

It's simple, sign up if you choose, hang tight. Soon as the official release goes out we can all discuss what that means.

We have had 1 arrest in Alabama for illegal home brewing and that was because his neighbors saw his gear and thought he had a meth lab. There is no evidence that he was even convicted for home brewing

It is my understanding that all charges were dropped. He is now the brewer at a brewpub in MGM.

I hear rumors that there is big news about to break.

IMHO If you did not have any intentions of telling what the rumors were , you should have never posted this.
Everyone's going to be curious and speculate about what's going on until they find out what the rumor is . :)

IMHO If you did not have any intentions of telling what the rumors were , you should have never posted this.
Everyone's going to be curious and speculate about what's going on until they find out what the rumor is . :)

That's exactly my line of thought...

Relax, its now out: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/alabama-homebrew-legislation-2013-a-362290/#post4515550

And: HB9 Ready To Go! http://www.alahomebrewing.org/news/hb9readytogo
posted an hour ago by Brant Warren
HB9 was prefiled by Rep. Mac McCutcheon for the 2013 Legislative Session that begins on February 5. The ALISON web site is not yet being updated to show prefiled House bills, but the bill is identical to the one that passed the House last year. The session will begin before you know it, so stay tuned and be ready help end the prohibition of Homebrewing in Alabama!

FTG-05 said:
Relax, its now out: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/alabama-homebrew-legislation-2013-a-362290/#post4515550

And: HB9 Ready To Go! http://www.alahomebrewing.org/news/hb9readytogo
posted an hour ago by Brant Warren
HB9 was prefiled by Rep. Mac McCutcheon for the 2013 Legislative Session that begins on February 5. The ALISON web site is not yet being updated to show prefiled House bills, but the bill is identical to the one that passed the House last year. The session will begin before you know it, so stay tuned and be ready help end the prohibition of Homebrewing in Alabama!

Awesome. Lets hope it passes this year.

There was a update from the site last night - as soon as there was something to report.

"HB9 was prefiled by Rep. Mac McCutcheon for the 2013 Legislative Session that begins on February 5. The ALISON web site is not yet being updated to show prefiled House bills, but the bill is identical to the one that passed the House last year. The session will begin before you know it, so stay tuned and be ready help end the prohibition of Homebrewing in Alabama!"

Speaking of very old, unenforced laws in Alabama, I noticed an interesting ballot initiative in a sample ballot mailed to me recently. One of the proposed amendments will repeal a section of a law from 1901 stipulating the segregation of schools by race. I predict it will pass by more than a 2 to 1 margin.

The times, they are a changing.

Speaking of very old, unenforced laws in Alabama, I noticed an interesting ballot initiative in a sample ballot mailed to me recently. One of the proposed amendments will repeal a section of a law from 1901 stipulating the segregation of schools by race. I predict it will pass by more than a 2 to 1 margin.

The times, they are a changing.

Similar amendments have failed in the past, and may fail this time as well.

http://goo.gl/jHO1H

Similar amendments have failed in the past, and may fail this time as well.

http://goo.gl/jHO1H

That's interesting. The amendment itself was not specific, so the ballot reader doesn't know exactly what is being changed. My prediction was based on the margin with which an amendment in 2000 passed to finally legalize interracial marriage. That was about 2 to 1 in favor.

It is strange how difficult it can be to repeal archaic laws in this state, as we all lament.

Back