The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Alabama vote.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2012, 10:28 PM   #411
aubiecat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
aubiecat's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Alexander City, Alabama
Posts: 1,147
Liked 122 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBXBob View Post
Wow, that audio clip from 2011 was actually mind blowing for me. Didn't sound like State Representative's, sounded like rural small town city councilmen at a revival. And the Rep talking about the moonshiner in his district, too funny (probably contributed to his campaign) I am keeping my fingers crossed for you Alabama home brewers, my heart really goes out to you, and hopefully the Senate is a bit more in this Century.
The senate is harder position for the local hillbilly like DuWayne Bridges, Kurt Wallace, Richard Laird and Mac Buttrum to get elected to. Usually the politically savvy will start out in the house and then move on to the senate. State reps like Alvin Holmes, who has been in the house for THIRTY FIVE years, couldn't get elected to the senate if they were the only one running.

I feel optimistic that if the bill gets out of committee soon enough it will pass.
The same bill has passed out of the house the two previous years before moving to the house and dying in committee, then dying on the house floor the following year.
aubiecat is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 10:52 PM   #412
CGVT
Senior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
CGVT's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Spanish Fort, AL
Posts: 1,563
Liked 367 Times on 241 Posts
Likes Given: 255

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubiecat View Post
The senate is harder position for the local hillbilly like DuWayne Bridges, Kurt Wallace, Richard Laird and Mac Buttrum to get elected to. Usually the politically savvy will start out in the house and then move on to the senate. State reps like Alvin Holmes, who has been in the house for THIRTY FIVE years, couldn't get elected to the senate if they were the only one running.

I feel optimistic that if the bill gets out of committee soon enough it will pass.
The same bill has passed out of the house the two previous years before moving to the house and dying in committee, then dying on the house floor the following year.
This.^^^

Although high school graduate(with a bit of community college) Shad McGill may beg to differ. Ha!

It is a bit like that in national politics too. The Senators I have met and dealt with were much more impressive overall than most members of the house that I have met.
__________________

"Filled with mingled cream and amber I will drain that glass again. Such hilarious visions clamber through the chambers of my brain--Quaintest thoughts--queerest fancies come to life and fade away; Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today"-Edgar Alan Poe

My Keezer build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/keez...y-turn-340755/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium View Post
Do what you like, brew what you like. Don't be a tool.
CGVT is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 11:23 PM   #413
Seven
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,490
Liked 123 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Default

Reading this thread makes me feel extremely lucky that I don't live in a "dry" state when it comes to home brewing. Godspeed fellow Alabama home brewers!

__________________
Seven is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 11:47 PM   #414
Zamial
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: WI
Posts: 3,179
Liked 166 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

I mean this in the most NONDISRESPECTFUL way possible... When AL finally has it's home brewing renaissance, I hope that SOMEONE takes some good home brew to the next coon dog cemetery liars contest/festival. AND they let me know when that is going to happen because I would LOVE to go!

Still on your side in the far the north,

Z

__________________
“I'm not drunk, I'm from Wisconsin.”
We have been out drinking your state since 1848!
Zamial is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2012, 02:11 AM   #415
Gduck
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ithaca, NY
Posts: 413
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huff360 View Post
It passed the House, now it is going to a committee in the Senate. It is the normal process.
Ah, comittee in the senate. Sorry, I misread the original as they sent to back to another comittee in the house. That makes much more sense.
__________________
Gduck is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2012, 03:42 AM   #416
CGVT
Senior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
CGVT's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Spanish Fort, AL
Posts: 1,563
Liked 367 Times on 241 Posts
Likes Given: 255

Default

Got this email today:

The word around Montgomery is we only have next week to get past the
committee and the Senate or bust. Everyone seems optimistic that it
will get through without opposition but with limited time I'm not
exactly setting myself up for disappointment. Unfortunately, I'll be
out of town next week on business so won't be able to attend a Senate
meeting if it goes public.

I'd say if there was a time for folks to be emailing and calling, you
have about 6-7 days to get it right.


On May 3, 8:14 am, wrote:
> Our bill was re-referred to the Senate Committee on Job Creation and
> Economic Development last night. Mac told me this morning that he was
> working the bill in the Senate last night, and this is a good move.
> After I stated the obvious to him that time is running out, he
> reassured me that we are in position to get the bill through the
> Senate.
>
> I do not know when JC&ED will meet, but I hope it is soon.
>

__________________

"Filled with mingled cream and amber I will drain that glass again. Such hilarious visions clamber through the chambers of my brain--Quaintest thoughts--queerest fancies come to life and fade away; Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today"-Edgar Alan Poe

My Keezer build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/keez...y-turn-340755/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium View Post
Do what you like, brew what you like. Don't be a tool.
CGVT is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2012, 04:20 PM   #417
dford
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
dford's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Huntsville, Alabama
Posts: 137
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGVT View Post
Got this email today:

The word around Montgomery is we only have next week to get past the
committee and the Senate or bust. Everyone seems optimistic that it
will get through without opposition but with limited time I'm not
exactly setting myself up for disappointment. Unfortunately, I'll be
out of town next week on business so won't be able to attend a Senate
meeting if it goes public.

I'd say if there was a time for folks to be emailing and calling, you
have about 6-7 days to get it right.


On May 3, 8:14 am, wrote:
> Our bill was re-referred to the Senate Committee on Job Creation and
> Economic Development last night. Mac told me this morning that he was
> working the bill in the Senate last night, and this is a good move.
> After I stated the obvious to him that time is running out, he
> reassured me that we are in position to get the bill through the
> Senate.
>
> I do not know when JC&ED will meet, but I hope it is soon.
>

__________________
dford is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2012, 07:22 PM   #418
aubiecat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
aubiecat's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Alexander City, Alabama
Posts: 1,147
Liked 122 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Default

FYI - SB294 (Gourmet Bottle Bill) The bill to increase the beer container limit to 22oz. and 750mL state wide is on the special order calendar for tomorrow for the house.
If the past alcohol bill debates are any indication this should be a lively debate.

__________________

Blake
Electric BIAB Build | BIAB Mesh False Bottom | Controller/Fermentation Chest

aubiecat is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2012, 08:07 PM   #419
Xtant
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Xtant's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 351
Liked 28 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Do they currently enforce the ban on brewing your own beer?

Regarding this bill...how would they enforce the 15 gallons, anyway?

__________________

"Make sure that the beer - four pints a week - goes to the troops under fire before any of the parties in the rear get a drop." -Winston Churchill to his Secretary of War, 1944

Xtant is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2012, 12:43 AM   #420
deflagratio
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Alabama
Posts: 106
Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Currently they do not enforce the law. The only people who get in trouble were in trouble for something else. Like one person who was accused of having a still on his property and was in possession of some 'shine.
Also it would be hard to enforce the 15 gal limit. Thats the idea .

__________________
deflagratio is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buying some Pale Ale this weekend.....vote! Soldevi General Beer Discussion 37 02-26-2012 02:23 AM
Local brewery needs your vote hawkeyetillidie General Beer Discussion 5 04-29-2011 03:26 PM
Competition Category - time for a vote beesy General Beer Discussion 4 05-27-2010 08:48 PM
Another Vote For Plastic instead of glass - Pics Yambor44 General Beer Discussion 19 03-21-2009 04:57 PM
VOTE For Me on YOUTUBE - DogFish Head Contest Hangman SF General Beer Discussion 10 01-22-2007 02:25 PM