Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Alabama Homebrewer Arrested

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2010, 03:14 AM   #31
BeerWars
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexbanner View Post
Until real crime (i.e. the kind where there is a victim) drops to zero, I don't think we should be going out of our way to arrest and prosecute harmless individuals.
I can't agree with this more.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2010, 03:19 AM   #32
Teromous
Beer Gnome
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 354 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 52

I think they were just intimidated by the Fermentator. Even the sound of it is intimidating. Say it out loud. Fermentator.

Old 09-04-2010, 04:51 AM   #33
Doog_Si_Reeb
Beer is Good. And stuff!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I absolutely disagree with the belief that any law on the books is a legitimate law. Which state is it that outlaws carrying ice cream in your back pocket? However, if you are doing something that is illegal in your state, you're at risk of getting **** from the cops. I don't know the details of the arrest, but could the alleged "moonshine" just be homebrewed beer?

On a side note, that dude had some really nice brewing equipment! It's a damn shame that it will be sitting in the evidence room (or maybe in Sheriff ****-head's garage)...

Primary: BohPils3
Kegged: Vienna Lager, Mánagarmr Stout, Ratatoskr IIPA, Cider
Bottled: Yule Gruit

Old 09-04-2010, 04:56 AM   #34
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 482 Times on 384 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I'm one that feels there are laws that are so bad that they can't help but be broken. But at the same time if I'm breaking them and get caught then I have the sense not to be surprised and appaled that they would dare to enforce a law that was on the books and I knew was in effect when I was breaking it.

If I get pulled over driving 50 on a road that is safe to drive at 50 and SHOULD be driven at 50, but has a 40 mph speed limit, then I just grit my teeth and take it.

Like said, if a law is wrong and unjust, then fight to have it repealed.

Old 09-04-2010, 04:56 AM   #35
ColonelForbin
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i dont obey the law. if i think a law is wrong i just ignore it, discretley of course. i am mature enough and have strong enough morals to choose what is right and wrong for myself. and homebrewing is right. there is nothing wrong about it no matter what state you live in. homebrewing is american. america is homebrewing.

Old 09-04-2010, 05:11 AM   #36
sudbuster
This ain't my first rodeo....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 273 Times on 215 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
I'm one that feels there are laws that are so bad that they can't help but be broken. But at the same time if I'm breaking them and get caught then I have the sense not to be surprised and appaled that they would dare to enforce a law that was on the books and I knew was in effect when I was breaking it.

If I get pulled over driving 50 on a road that is safe to drive at 50 and SHOULD be driven at 50, but has a 40 mph speed limit, then I just grit my teeth and take it.

Like said, if a law is wrong and unjust, then fight to have it repealed.
+1 Exactly. In the mean time, obey or pay the consequences. That's what's so great about America,there is a legal way to appeal a law we feel unjust, but suppose the majority feels other wise,that does not excuse breaking the law.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:20 AM   #37
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 482 Times on 384 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Not to meniton that I wouldn't publish pictures of myself violating the law unless I was wanting to get busted so I could try to challange the law in court or something.

Old 09-04-2010, 05:22 AM   #38
Ouroboros
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

A perfect symptom of what's wrong with our society.

Whether you're left, right, or whatever, you can probably name a laundry list of things the government should be doing instead of busting homebrewers.

Pondering: Roggenwein, Irish Red, Another Single-Hop IPA, Roggenbier w/ local wild yeast
Primary: Hefeweizen, Nugget Single-Hop IPA, Chamomile Wheat
Secondary: Saffron Metheglin
Bottled: Belgian Strong Dark, Saffron Wheat, UK Barleywine, Tripel, IIPA

Old 09-04-2010, 05:36 AM   #39
DocBrown
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Let me offer some clarification on this subject. Those of us in the homebrewing circles in Alabama have been following this closely for a while. We've been hesitant to say much until we found out more facts about the case. First, homebrewing of beer is a felony in the state of Alabama. In some ways, the fact that it is a felony is a protection since law enforcement is going to be somewhat reticent in sending an otherwise upstanding citizen to jail for a relatively harmless crime. So, we (the group behind the homebrew legalization effort) have been trying to decide what position to take on this situation:
1) If distillation is really involved, it poses a major problem to our legalization efforts since some of our opponents are trying to associate homebrewing with moonshining. In this case, we would need (at an organizational level) to distance ourselves from this guy and assure the powers that be that he is in no way representative of the rest of us. (I am speaking only of the organizational level and not of our personal feelings about the guy and the individual desire to support him.)
2) If there is no distillation involved, he could potentially serve as a cause celebre in our legalization efforts. After all, what elected representative wants to see a guy who has faithfully served our country in two tours in Iraq thrown in jail just for enjoying a hobby that is legal in 48 of the 50 states?

Now, some additional facts: (These should be considered hearsay for legal purposes. I have them from someone who has spoken directly to Kade, the person in question.)
1) Kade has rightly been advised by his lawyer to keep quiet since the prosecution has a right to use anything he says. As such, you won't see any direct statements from him showing up in public forums. This is the major reason that there is little clarity on the issue.
2) Kade has been a longtime resident of Blount County, and there are longstanding feuds between some of the families there. It has been alleged that one of his neighbors that had a grudge against him reported to the cops that he was manufacturing meth. In the course of visiting his property, the cops supposedly spotted his brewing equipment through the window and got a warrant to raid his house.
3) There was a small still on his property along with a quantity of ethanol. Kade said that he has not distilled any liquor and the ethanol they found was given to him by someone else. In fact, he was intending to experiment with converting his farm equipment over to run off of ethanol.

Old 09-04-2010, 05:40 AM   #40
Hermit
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starderup View Post
Something looks 'wrong' with that picture. Meaning Photoshop.
Is that supposed to be METH in the jar? My StarSan is liquid.
Edit: I am mistaking that white appearance in the jar for powder. I see it is just the refraction. Still, look at the shadow around the Sheriff. Looks funny.
Everything in Alabama that is fun is illegal, unless you count sex with your sister.
Sorry. Georgia joke. Bama fans, feel free to hit me back.
They busted some local law enforcement around here, Youngstown, Ohio for 'embellishing' what the found in raids. These (fill in the blank) kept bags of flour on hand to take in to let the press photograph. Can you say "evidence tampering and fair trial"?

Damned. Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness may not be in the constitution, but they are in the declaration of independence and our 'reason to be' as a nation.

Quick Reply