Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Alabama Homebrewer Arrested

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2011, 01:05 PM   #381
chucke
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justibone View Post
In the abstract, you are correct.

In the actuality, we do not (as a nation) live up to our high ideals.

Basically, we can like it or lump it. Or leave. That's the way it is.
Wow- I hope we don't get infected with this defeatist attitude.

We've had an uphill battle in Alabama fighting anti-beer laws.
Home-brewing, high-gravity, container size, brew pubs.... but we're fighting.

We've won some, lost most.
Each battle won was lost before, a few times.

We won't give up-

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2011, 01:19 PM   #382
itsme6582
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 23

This thread is not in the political debate forum. Try to keep your comments at least somewhat in line with the OP.

Old 07-14-2011, 03:14 AM   #383
Phunhog
Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Sorry for bringing back this thread but......what was the final outcome? Was the guy ever prosecuted/fined for homebrewing/distilling? It would be a damn shame if he was!!

Check out my nanobrewery!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Two...02323289804018

Old 11-07-2011, 05:51 PM   #384
KWKSLVR
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sorry to drag this back up from the dead, but I'm curious about what ever came from this as well. It appears no one knows. Does anyone know the guy's name? Speaking of Alabrew a few pages back, I'll ask the next time I'm in there, they may know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bovineblitz View Post
Probably the same way headshops aren't illegal in most places. The paraphernalia is only illegal if used for illegal purposes. The items themselves are not illegal.
In regards to Alabrew - Shelby County, Alabama couldn't care LESS about what they sell and what they do. He used to be in Jefferson County (think downtown Birmingham, both of these counties connect). When he was there his business license was listed as a "Hobby Shop". When he made the move to where he is now in Shelby County, he was more forthcoming about what the business sells.

Bear in mind, it's LEGAL in Alabama to make wine under two conditions: 1) you use grapes from vines you own. 2) you make no more than 5 gallons a year. And of course, you can't sell it or feed alcohol to minors.

Anyway, the first few weeks he was open in the new location he got a LOT of cop activity. Eventually he asked what the deal was and why he was getting so much attention since he was operating a legal business. One of the cops told him that they wanted to make sure he wasn't cooking meth, to which he essentially replied with the jist of "what a retarded assumption, who would make meth in the back of a business in a crowded area, much less with a business that supplies home brewing supplies". Eventually, they lost interest.

Apparently cops have never smelled meth cooking. The notion someone could pull off such an activity in the area in question is similar to thinking you could stand in the middle of 15 people packed into an elevator, rip a huge one, and no one hear it or smell it.

There are actually a couple Sheriff's Deputies from Jefferson County that go in there for winemaking supplies that make a HELL of a lot more than 5 gallons a year. He also makes a good point as a defense to being a home brewing supply shop in this state. You can go into any grocery store and buy all the things you need to make alcohol. Selling the ingredients isn't an issue.

I've lived in this state my entire life, home brewing being illegal here is 100% about (tax) money. There is a component of being Bible Belters, but that's such a copout that people that don't live in the south don't understand. Southern Baptists are some of the biggest drunkards in the country. Alabama's politics are pretty corrupt from the top to the bottom. It's ALWAYS been that way and arguably always will be. Even importing beer/wine/whiskey into this state is legal so long as it's ordered either your local ABC store or they're notified of the order, and it's shipped TO that ABC store so that you can pay state sales tax on it.

Law Enforcement doesn't care about your Homebrew set up. Just don't advertise it and use common sense. Politicians, on the other hand, do.

Last edited by KWKSLVR; 11-08-2011 at 04:56 AM.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:11 AM   #385
Justibone
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 69

They do care about moonshine... They make sure it didn't make you go blind, and then they take it for themselves.

*ALLEGEDLY*

(I used to live in Decatur and work in Huntsville.)

Old 11-08-2011, 03:09 PM   #386
KWKSLVR
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justibone View Post
They do care about moonshine... They make sure it didn't make you go blind, and then they take it for themselves.

*ALLEGEDLY*

(I used to live in Decatur and work in Huntsville.)
ROFL! So true.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:23 AM   #387
limulus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 72

There is something in the law here in GA that allows the distillation of moonshine for sale. I was watching something on the History Channel a couple of months ago about moonshine. They were visiting a moonshine museum in N GA and ended by saying they would soon have a license to legally sell the stuff.

Tap 3: Empty - APA coming June
Kolsch coming July

Primary:
Secondary:
Cold Conditioning: IPA
On Deck: Kolsch
On Deck: Pale Ale
On Deck: Dusseldorf Altbier

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
-Ernest Hemingway

Old 11-09-2011, 12:37 AM   #388
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 354 Times on 292 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by limulus View Post
There is something in the law here in GA that allows the distillation of moonshine for sale. I was watching something on the History Channel a couple of months ago about moonshine. They were visiting a moonshine museum in N GA and ended by saying they would soon have a license to legally sell the stuff.
... well, sure, if they get licensed and pay taxes on the 'shine they make. The legality of moonshine has nothing to do with the Moonshine product itself and 100% to do with the avoidance of the taxman. White lightning itself hasn't been illegal, if the state's getting their cut.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 11-09-2011, 01:01 AM   #389
Dan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1857 Times on 1139 Posts
Likes Given: 2630

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doog_Si_Reeb View Post
but could the alleged "moonshine" just be homebrewed beer?

Thats what I'm thinking. The sherrif in the photo looks ashamed, like he's guilty of knowing it was beer but didn't have the testical fortitude to say so. Some freaking AL DA wants to make his name famous prosecuting a moonshiner. Hope he falls on his face for his arrogance and ignorance and the homebrewer walks away.

Old 03-08-2012, 02:34 PM   #390
alestateyall
Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Does anyone know the outcome of this?

Quick Reply