Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Alabama Homebrewer Arrested

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2010, 04:16 PM   #101
olllllo
[]-O-[]
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I moved some of the debate content to the Debate Forum. It should be easy to find.

I don't think there will be very much substantive information anytime soon since the brewer has legal counsel now, but perhaps members of his club will keep us updated here.

Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2010, 04:35 PM   #102
NorCalAngler
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I tried searching for news articles online and came up empty handed. I searched for all combinations of Alabama, Kade, homebrew, still, whiskey, etc. Has anyone found a news article?

Old 09-08-2010, 04:44 PM   #103
sudbuster
This ain't my first rodeo....

Recipes 

Liked 273 Times on 215 Posts
Likes Given: 95

I did the same and came up empty handed also except for an article about the same thing happening a couple years back.

Old 09-08-2010, 05:12 PM   #104
cimirie
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwndabear View Post
HOLD ON ONE SECOND HERE:
The main issue I am seeing here is thatFederal Law supersedes all state laws as every individual state is part of the federal government. That's just how the system works:
If a state law is in conflict with a federal law, the federal law overpowers the state law. In this instance, when Carter made it legal to homebrew in the United States of America, any law that previously stated that it was illegal was made null and void.

This is basic knowledge of government workings here. So, with that in mind, this man is 100% innocent of his "crimes" in homebrewing beer.

If he had in fact distilled, however, he could face penalties as distilling is indeed illegal. For that, as stupid as it is, he is guilty all be it on THAT CHARGE ALONE and not in any way, shape, or form of homebrewing.

This needs to be seriously examined more closely...

Stupid Alabama old prickface sherrif in that picture needs to get his clock cleaned for turning something relatively harmless into a massacre of RIGHTS of the US Citizen.
Not entirely true. Federal law supercedes state law only when the federal law poses a stricter standard. And in fact, what Carter signed into law was a bill allowing homebrewing on a federal level - in essence opening the blockade imposed from Prohibition. The bill explicitly states that states and municipalities have the right to restrict or prohibit the production of alcohol in any way they deem right.

-----------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuporMan View Post
You guys joke around with this all you want, but let me tell you something: I tried making my own beer one time and wound up with herpes!

Primary: Billy Corrigan Ale, malted cider experiment, Optimator clone
Secondary: Sorachi Ace IPA
Bottled: Dark Lord Clone Imperial Stout, Winter 2010 Spiced Ale Ambassador Brown Ale, Michigan Berry pLambic
Kegged: Old Woodward ESB, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: Honey brown ale, dry stout

Old 09-08-2010, 05:22 PM   #105
Bane
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimirie View Post
Not entirely true. Federal law supercedes state law only when the federal law poses a stricter standard. And in fact, what Carter signed into law was a bill allowing homebrewing on a federal level - in essence opening the blockade imposed from Prohibition. The bill explicitly states that states and municipalities have the right to restrict or prohibit the production of alcohol in any way they deem right.
Cimirie is exaclty right this why there are still allowed to be dry counties and why Oregon is allowed to have a law only allowing home brew to be drank in your home.

Old 09-08-2010, 05:59 PM   #106
hoppymonkey
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane View Post
Cimirie is exaclty right this why there are still allowed to be dry counties and why Oregon is allowed to have a law only allowing home brew to be drank in your home.
Yup. The law here in ga is stricter than the federal law as well. Only allowing 50 gallons per year.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:13 PM   #107
Sigafoos
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

It's also, FWIW, why NYS doesn't have a law specifically allowing brewing. It's been tried a few times, but if there's some opposition (ie 'Hey, you can do that? Maybe we should ban it') it's allowed to wither and die.

CBW website | Twitter | Facebook | HBT thread

Niagara Association of Homebrewers ex-President
Live in or around Buffalo? Join NAH for fun and excitement!

[1:47pm] chefmike: and dont listen to sigafoos!
[1:47pm] Sigafoos: that's generally good advice

Old 09-08-2010, 07:24 PM   #108
Daybis
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppymonkey View Post
Yup. The law here in ga is stricter than the federal law as well. Only allowing 50 gallons per year.
Is this for one or two adults in the household?

Ontap: Hard Cider
Primary: IIPA, All-Tythos IPA
On Deck: Munich Dunkel, Classic Rauch, Breakfast Porter, American Stout

Old 09-08-2010, 08:43 PM   #109
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 838 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 1105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigafoos View Post
It's also, FWIW, why NYS doesn't have a law specifically allowing brewing. It's been tried a few times, but if there's some opposition (ie 'Hey, you can do that? Maybe we should ban it') it's allowed to wither and die.
I never knew this, so I looked it up after reading your post. I'm sure we are good though, since my job, which has an obvious interest in the legality of its members' hobbies (NYPD), questioned me on it in 2006 and let it die. they must have determined I wasn't doing anything illegal.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:35 PM   #110
Shackled
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daybis View Post
Is this for one or two adults in the household?
Its per Head of Household based on Tax purposes

§ 3-5-4. Production of malt beverages by a head of household for consumption within own household

(a) A head of a household may produce 50 gallons of malt beverages in any one calendar year to be consumed within his or her own household without any requirement to be licensed for such purpose. No malt beverages produced under this subsection shall be sold or offered for sale. Malt beverages so produced shall not be subject to any excise tax imposed by this chapter.

(b) For purposes of this Code section, a single person who is not a dependent of another person for purposes of Georgia income taxation shall be considered a head of a household.

HISTORY: Code 1981, § 3-5-4, enacted by Ga. L. 1993, p. 537, § 1.

"Do you ever feel like your life is being controlled by a 3 year old with an etchasketch?"

-Brian-

Quick Reply