Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Alabama Homebrewer Arrested

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2010, 10:39 PM   #1
Rudeboy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Alabama Homebrewer Arrested

Apologies if this has already been posted here. Did a quick search and didn't see anything.

Here's the link to the BN's forum with a fairly extensive thread:

http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/for...d4989ef0ef59ed

Two tours of duty in Iraq for this?

Rudeboy

Primary: MNF Lager
Bottled Aging: English Barleywine' 14;
Kegged Aging: Oktoberfest; English Summer Ale;
Kegged Ready: Vienna Calling; Heffeweizen; Kolsch
Bottled Ready: English Barleywine '12; Russian Imperial Stout; Wee Heavy; London Porter; Belgium Golden Strong; Westy 12; Arrogant Bastard; Magpie Rye Ale; Leffe

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2010, 10:59 PM   #2
NorCalAngler
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 16

If you read further into the thread you will see this guy was distilling whiskey as well. I'm lucky enough to live in a state where homebrew is legal, but you can bet your ass if I lived in a state where homebrew was illegal I #1) wouldn't post about my activities on the internet (including photos of his entire setup) and #2) wouldn't take it a step further by running a still, which is a felony in every state as far as I know.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:06 PM   #3
maxamuus
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 34

After seeing the picture of the raid i wonder if they are confusing brewing gear for a still. I mean my wort chiller could be confused for something its not.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:10 PM   #4
NorCalAngler
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 16

It seems there are legitimate questions about whether he was running a still. 8 gallons of whiskey is very odd to have on hand, but it wouldn't be the first time standard brewing equipment was mistaken as a still.

On the other hand, this guy had to piss somebody off or raise a lot of red flags for them to put an investigation together.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:13 PM   #5
MrWiggles
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Wow, how lame. Everything that's fun is illegal in Alabama. I'll take note of this though. I think if this guy trys he can get a judge to overturn it, citing federal laws.

EDIT: ok sorry, didnt see the note about the still. so yea, shame on him.

I took up nuclear physics instead.
Broom Closet Brews

Primary: Empty :(

Clearing Apfelwein

Bottled: Apfelwein mit Pfirschen, Mild w/orange&chocolate

R.I.P. Bareknuckle Brown, Witzbold Weizen

Old 09-03-2010, 11:20 PM   #6
maxamuus
Recipes 

Read the whole thread.

First - Wow i am glad this forum is a lot more civil then that forum. All the name calling was making it a hard read.

Two - I agree looking at the pictures nothing there looked like a still that i saw so maybe they are mistaking HB gear for a still, but yeah its a little odd to have 8 gallons of whiskey on hand.

Three - They need to lighten up down there. Jeez even the mormons let me brew behind the Zion curtain.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:23 PM   #7
maxamuus
Recipes 

Here is the Sheriff with the contraband.

The stuff in the bottle is supposed to be the 'shine. My starsan bottle looks a lot like that.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:25 PM   #8
ks_medic
Recipes 

Too bad for that guy. Looks like people want to help him but wont because of the distilling factor. I didn't notice any distilling equipment in the picture the sheriff posted in the paper. If his beer equipment is that nice one would think his distilling equipment would match. Also they only show 1 mason jar of supposed moonshine. I've seen an episode of cops where police mistook an immersion chiller for a still. Will be interesting to see what comes of this.

Last edited by ks_medic; 09-03-2010 at 11:31 PM. Reason: removed photo

Old 09-03-2010, 11:45 PM   #9
rexbanner
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by ks_medic View Post
Too bad for that guy. Looks like people want to help him but wont because of the distilling factor. I didn't notice any distilling equipment in the picture the sheriff posted in the paper. If his beer equipment is that nice one would think his distilling equipment would match. Also they only show 1 mason jar of supposed moonshine. I've seen an episode of cops where police mistook an immersion chiller for a still. Will be interesting to see what comes of this.
I don't give a **** whether he was distilling or not. The government shouldn't be wasting time and money on such trifling matters. Just last saturday I was minding my own business watching a UFC fight at a local bar when a 350 pound tub of lard started talking **** to me for absolutely no reason. I told him to **** off, turned around, and the next thing I know he suckerpunched me so hard I flew off my stool to the ground. He fled past the 5 or so bouncers and dozens of onlookers who did nothing. He paid in cash and no one knew his name, although he was a regular. He is, however, on video assaulting me. Fortunately I suffered only minor bruises.

If the local PD put half the amount of effort into getting this guy that this Alabama sheriff's department put into nailing this poor bastard, they'd catch him for sure. Of course, I didn't even bother reporting him because I knew it was pointless. And my opinion wouldn't change if this happened to someone else--protecting citizens against violent individuals is worth our ****ing money, not prosecuting people who have done ABSOLUTELY NO HARM, except maybe jeopardize the legal monopoly our government maintains.

/end rant

Peep my nanobrewery: http://crookedrunbrewing.com

Crooked Run Brewing: Traditional ales, local ingredients

Old 09-03-2010, 11:52 PM   #10
ks_medic
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexbanner View Post
I don't give a **** whether he was distilling or not. The government shouldn't be wasting time and money on such trifling matters. Just last saturday I was minding my own business watching a UFC fight at a local bar when a 350 pound tub of lard started talking **** to me for absolutely no reason. I told him to **** off, turned around, and the next thing I know he suckerpunched me so hard I flew off my stool to the ground. He fled past the 5 or so bouncers and dozens of onlookers who did nothing. He paid in cash and no one knew his name, although he was a regular. He is, however, on video assaulting me. Fortunately I suffered only minor bruises.

If the local PD put half the amount of effort into getting this guy that this Alabama sheriff's department put into nailing this poor bastard, they'd catch him for sure. Of course, I didn't even bother reporting him because I knew it was pointless. And my opinion wouldn't change if this happened to someone else--protecting citizens against violent individuals is worth our ****ing money, not prosecuting people who have done ABSOLUTELY NO HARM, except maybe jeopardize the legal monopoly our government maintains.

/end rant
More than likely the police are trying to save face. They went there to raid a meth lab and came across a home brewery. Would look pretty bad to raid a house and find nothing. So they are latching on to this, making it sound worse than it is so they sound good.

Quick Reply