Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Alabama Homebrew Legislation 2013

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2013, 10:02 PM   #561
Toga
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Congrats fellas. You may be able to brew and not worry about who knows about your hobby or may find out. Hopefully everything is smooth sailing from here.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2013, 10:03 PM   #562
CGVT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 373 Times on 245 Posts
Likes Given: 264

I think it may be important for the point be made that most home brewers brew 5 gallon batches and 5 gallons of beer is only a little more than two cases.

I'm sure that 15 gallons sounds likes a lot of beer to these guys. It might be a bit more acceptable for them to think of it in cases.

"Filled with mingled cream and amber I will drain that glass again. Such hilarious visions clamber through the chambers of my brain--Quaintest thoughts--queerest fancies come to life and fade away; Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today"-Edgar Alan Poe

My Keezer build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/keez...y-turn-340755/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium View Post
Do what you like, brew what you like. Don't be a tool.
isandrini Likes This 
Old 04-03-2013, 10:23 PM   #563
wailingguitar
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 425

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGVT View Post
I think it may be important for the point be made that most home brewers brew 5 gallon batches and 5 gallons of beer is only a little more than two cases.

I'm sure that 15 gallons sounds likes a lot of beer to these guys. It might be a bit more acceptable for them to think of it in cases.
That's a great point. We may be able to use that in future to push the limit up higher. After all, when you think of it in terms of 12oz servings, the federal limit of 100 gallons/year is roughly equivalent to 3 bottles per day or a bit over 2 pints (if I did the math right LOL)

"Why did you.... what was the point of... how drunk were you when you decided this was a good idea?" - DMartin

Old 04-04-2013, 02:30 AM   #564
Orthobrewsky
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 131

I was very pleased to see that my representative, K.L. Brown, switched to a yes vote after voting 'no' last year and 'no' the previous year on a more generous homebrew bill which he had also sponsored. I've rescinded the order I gave my wife last year to not allow my dead body ever to pass through his funeral home. His is the only place to take the dead in this town, so it would have been somewhat inconvenient for the family. Now I can depart in peace, but I may just stick around for a while anyway.

Old 04-04-2013, 02:46 AM   #565
Orthobrewsky
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGVT View Post

This raises the question as to why they don't seem to have a concern about limiting the amount of commercial beer stored at a residence. My neighbor has at least 15.5 gallons every time he gets a new keg. Presumably, even we homebrewers could have 15 gallons of homebrew plus 20 more gallons of commercial beer and 30 gallons of Chivas Royale. Why is commercial alcohol so sacred, but homebrew so dangerous? Hmmm...I guess it does tend to be much more tasty than "Budweiser...Coors...what are some of the names of them other beers? They drank purty good."

Old 04-04-2013, 02:53 AM   #566
CGVT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

If it were up to a lot of these guys, there would be no alcohol allowed at all. I don't think that is the way to approach it at all. If you say "Well, you can have all of the Bud you want, why should we limit this? " you are only playing into their neo-prohibitionist fears.

I think that the point should be that 15 gallons is not much. Speaking in cases rather than gallons may be something that these guy may understand.

If you say that most home brewers make 5 gallon batches that take 3 to 6 weeks and even longer to make and stress that it is only a little over two cases in six weeks, the issue may be more palatable to the fence sitters.

I don't think that message gets across very well. Most of these guys think that you brew it up in your bathtub and drink it tonight.

"Filled with mingled cream and amber I will drain that glass again. Such hilarious visions clamber through the chambers of my brain--Quaintest thoughts--queerest fancies come to life and fade away; Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today"-Edgar Alan Poe

Quote:

Old 04-04-2013, 03:10 AM   #567
Orthobrewsky
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Yes, I think you are right about the way they hear the word "gallon" and the thought of us brewing up a bathtub full in the afternoon and drinking it all at once. Hypothetically, a guy like me could have been running close to 30 gallons around the house since last fall, but maybe I've had a RIS just conditioning since August and doing a bunch of lagers which I condition for months, so that what is actually ready to drink is, on the average, the 10 gallons in my 4 keg keezer (assuming the average keg in there is half empty).

Hypothetically, of course.

Old 04-04-2013, 12:01 PM   #568
Accidic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Most people don't even drink the whole thing anyway so technically a few less than you bottle anyway.

Old 04-04-2013, 12:09 PM   #569
CGVT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huff360 View Post
No plan in the Senate right now.

We are "Strategerygizing" as Bush Jr. would have said. Give me a few days and we will have an action plan. I'll pass along here.

Thanks to everyone who wrote, called, faxed, and e-mailed House members. We will need an effort just as strong in the Senate. Holtzclaw has not had 3 years of defending this bill like Mac has, so we are going to have to do our part to take some of the pressure off of him.
We can only hope that the Senate doesn't pick up on the "register with the Sheriff movement" or add any other amendments, for that matter.

Hopefully it will get through and to the Governor as is...

Quote:

Old 04-04-2013, 01:24 PM   #570
CGVT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

The biggest issue and the most pressure seemed to be the "Who is going to regulate it?" question that Mac had trouble with in the interview. Common sense says if the law is broken, law enforcement officials will get involved the same as any other law, but that is a hard sell to the prohibitionists and it seems to strike a chord with those that are on the fence or ambivalent about the issue. It was pretty obvious in the close vote on the register with the Sheriff amendment. Saying, "I voted for it, but made sure that they have to register" is good politics even though we know that it is unnecessary and really only a feel good move.

They have to come up with a better way to answer that question when it gets to the Senate floor or we may see that amendment added and then it will have to go back to the house. It could actually have this thing shot down because of added costs to regulate... **sigh**

Quote:

Quick Reply