Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Alabama Homebrew Legislation 2013

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2013, 09:33 PM   #41
DrakeSuperbus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

I'm assuming that many of the representatives who vote against the bill are republicans. If my republican representative voted against a bill that would legalize homebrewing, I would ask him why he is promoting government regulations which stifle job creation (opening homebrew shops), when the official platform of the republican party says the following:

"While small businesses have significantly contributed to the nation’s economic growth, our government has failed to meet its small business goals year after year and failed to overcome burdensome regulatory, contracting, and capital barriers."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 09:49 PM   #42
Huff360
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 9

We have also stirred up the #1 opponent of the Bill. ALCAP released their first Alert addressing HB9 today.

For anyone who does not know, ALCAP is the self titled Moral Compass of Alabama. They claim to know what is best for everyone in the state. If you are a church going person, please take a moment to speak with your church leaders about responsible use of alcohol and the personal rights and liberties you should be afforded. Also remind them that the muscadine wine that Grandma has made for the last 50 years would land her in jail right now.

If you are interested, here is the latest ALCAP alert:

Quote:
2013 Alabama Legislative Session - Your Help is Needed

The only hope we have of stopping two very important "pro-alcohol" bills that will likely be introduced in the 2013 Alabama State Legislative Session is for church members to contact their House Members and State Senators and ask them to oppose these bills. The first bill is a bill that will privatize the sale of alcoholic beverages in Alabama and do away with the ABC Stores. The argument is that "Alabama needs to get out of the liquor business," but ALCAP's position is that Alabama is not in the liquor business, we are in the control business. Go to the "Links" page at www.alcap.com to find reasons and resources for opposing privatization of liquor sales.

The second "pro-alcohol" bill that has already been pre-filed is a House bill (HB9), introduced by Rep. Mac McCutcheon (R-Capshaw). This bill, if passed, will legalize home-brewing of beer and mead (click here for a news report on this bill). A similar bill passed the House last year, but died in the Senate as time ran out on the legislative calendar. The home-brewers have been calling legislators in large numbers, pushing for passage of this bill, while the churches have remained relatively silent. If we have any hope of stopping this bill, pastors and church members must let their voices be heard by the legislators.

ALCAP opposes home-brewing on the basis that there will be no way to police the private production of alcoholic beverages in one's private residence. Alcohol is a mind-altering and addictive drug that destroys lives and families. There is no good reason to allow individuals to legally produce this dangerous drug in the privacy of their own homes.

Please take time to contact your House member and State Senator and ask him/her to oppose both the liquor privatization bill and the home-brew bill when each comes up for a vote. We need to flood the offices of State Legislators with our opinions on these issues. Be courteous and respectful, but let them know what you think. To find the name and contact information for your legislators, go to www.alcap.com and follow the appropriate links.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:02 PM   #43
Huff360
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrakeSuperbus View Post
I'm assuming that many of the representatives who vote against the bill are republicans. If my republican representative voted against a bill that would legalize homebrewing, I would ask him why he is promoting government regulations which stifle job creation (opening homebrew shops), when the official platform of the republican party says the following:

"While small businesses have significantly contributed to the nation’s economic growth, our government has failed to meet its small business goals year after year and failed to overcome burdensome regulatory, contracting, and capital barriers."
We passed the House last year with a 44-33 margin. I can't find the tally we pulled together on who was for and who was against right off hand, I'll have to dig for it some more.

I can say that the bulk of the NAY votes were from neo-prohibitionists who feel that Alcohol in and of itself is a sin, not the choice to over-indulge and act irresponsibly.

There are also a few representatives who are from districts where alcohol is rarely treated with the respect it has to be treated with. They vote NAY because it is in the best interest of their district to do as much as possible to keep alcohol away.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:24 PM   #44
MVKTR2
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Where do I start and where do I stop in a thread with alving 'the chump' holmes, baggy pants bans, 'the church', 'Alabama is in the control business (no crap Sherlock, it's how the state/government exist via violence, coercion, and control), constituents vs politicians, political will, and more?

Just a note if for example the constituents want something that is clearly outside of the governing rules such as a constitution in a representative republic the representative is under NO obligation to aquiesse. (I know not the point of a prior poster/not picking a fight) Wanted to make the larger and far more important point that not only is the best government that which governs least, but that decisions based upon a philosophy of liberty in conjunction with a historical and modern understanding of governing documents are FAR superior to anything else mankind's wisdom has to offer! Don't make me quote Lysander Spooner's letter to Grover Cleveland up in here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huff360 View Post
We have also stirred up the #1 opponent of the Bill. ALCAP released their first Alert addressing HB9 today.

For anyone who does not know, ALCAP is the self titled Moral Compass of Alabama. They claim to know what is best for everyone in the state. If you are a church going person, please take a moment to speak with your church leaders about responsible use of alcohol and the personal rights and liberties you should be afforded. Also remind them that the muscadine wine that Grandma has made for the last 50 years would land her in jail right now.

If you are interested, here is the latest ALCAP alert:
As for ALCAP, thank God, yes the God of Abraham, Isaac, & Moses they are AL and not MS-cap. However we have a little thing called AFA or American Family Association, the very southern baptist oriented group out of Tupelo that brought the nation the 7-naughty words rule for the FCC and more boycotts than the civil rights movement, along with countless other absurdities!

The 'genius' senator/politician in MS didn't let the beer bills out of committee year before last and I quote, 'because I don't want our members to have to vote on alcohol bills in an election year.' I feel truly sorry for anyone whom sees elected officials as their or societies' 'leader', sadly I figure that covers a vast majority of US society.

Signed a bible believing minister of God in a major mainline denomination whom believes God grants freewill to humankind to both his betterment and destruction. (after all if God granted such liberty governments are wrong to restrict it) Of course a failure to see this perspective is one of the issues driving the moral busy body denominations (modern puritans) to impose their vision upon the rest of us as if they're the ordained governance and voice of God to society, never understanding how their stubbornness pushes more people away from truth than it attracts.... okay I've said to much, but it's true!

"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

mikeh80 Likes This 
Old 01-22-2013, 10:33 PM   #45
MVKTR2
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huff360 View Post
There are also a few representatives who are from districts where alcohol is rarely treated with the respect it has to be treated with. They vote NAY because it is in the best interest of their district to do as much as possible to keep alcohol away.
You make a VERY fair point here. My denominations' traditions trace their roots to John Wesley and the Church of England. Wesley was staunchly anti-alcohol, but had quite the good reason to be. Roughly during his time of ministry in England not only was a society on the brink of bloody civil disturbances and probable civil war, but for ever 7 citizens in the city of London there was 1 gin shop. Alcoholism was amazingly rampant playing no small role in ripping that society from it's foundations.

However in our modern perspective, softened with time, my denomination suggest that due to the dangers of alcohol it's advisable people abstain. However in honest fashion the denomination holds it's people/clergy to the biblical standard of non-abusive/moderate use, accepting the truth of the bible that alcohol was a part of daily living in the ancient world.

"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Old 01-22-2013, 10:50 PM   #46
aubiecat
Blake Owen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:

This has nothing to do with republicans and democrats. Last year and this year's hombrew bill was and is sponsored by republicans and had bipartisan sponsorship. Anyone who is against it is the enemy regardless of party affiliation.

Last edited by Pappers_; 01-22-2013 at 10:55 PM. Reason: unneccesarily personal - take it easy

Old 01-23-2013, 12:13 AM   #47
DrakeSuperbus
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubiecat View Post
This has nothing to do with republicans and democrats. Last year and this year's hombrew bill was and is sponsored by republicans and had bipartisan sponsorship. Anyone who is against it is the enemy regardless of party affiliation.
I know that republicans aren't solely to blame; I'm just saying that republicans who do vote against the bill are being hypocritical. It annoys me to hear people say, "I'm against regulation," and then go out of their way to regulate or stop alcohol, gambling, or any other activity they don't like.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:42 AM   #48
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Liked 320 Times on 239 Posts
Likes Given: 227

Quote:
I know that republicans aren't solely to blame; I'm just saying that republicans who do vote against the bill are being hypocritical. It annoys me to hear people say, "I'm against regulation," and then go out of their way to regulate or stop alcohol, gambling, or any other activity they don't like.
Hear, hear.

Of course, Democrats being against it is equally hypocritical; how can the "socially lenient" party suggest that they have the right to tell me what I can and cannot drink?

Fermenting: nothing
Lagering: Swarthy Satyr (traditional bock)
Bottled: Royal Goblin (Hoppy Hobgoblin rendition), Treasure Type "T" (oatmeal toffee stout), Enchantress (big Irish red ale), Frostfire (Oktoberfest), Thundersmoke brown ale

Old 01-23-2013, 01:05 PM   #49
Huff360
Recipes 

Here is some data for your enjoyment. I can't take credit for the map, another supporter complied it. I did compile the tally though, so if you see an error, let me know and I will correct it.

2012homebrew.jpg

2012-vote-tally.jpg

Old 01-23-2013, 01:16 PM   #50
aubiecat
Blake Owen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
It doesn't matter who is being hypocritical. It doesn't matter why they are being hypocritical. That argument is for another place and time.
There are only the ones who are for and the ones who are against.

The only reason any politician has to vote against this bill is if their constituents are against it.

Blake
Electric BIAB Build | BIAB Mesh False Bottom | Controller/Fermentation Chest

Quick Reply