Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Alabama Homebrew Legislation 2013

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2013, 06:27 PM   #31
aubiecat
Blake Owen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Just noticed that the sponsor of the Homebrewing Legalization Bill, Mac McCutcheon, was named Rules Committee Chairman. The Rules Committee selects the bills that the House Chamber can debate each day. Needless to say, this development is very good news for us!
Session starts Feb. 5

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 07:24 PM   #32
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Liked 327 Times on 244 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubiecat View Post
I wish I could vote for him. He is one of the best politicians in the state of Alabama.
My rep. voted against the homebrew bill the last two years. I wrote him and let him know he lost my vote for casting his lot with people that think I am a bootlegger and a criminal.
I took my rep to task over it, as well. He did reply, but in a very "politician" way, as follows:

Quote:
Mr. Suddeth,

Thanks for your e-mail.

I voted against this bill last year in committee and on the floor.

I voted against it this year, in committee, and on the floor.

I will never vote to expand the creation of alcohol or to encourage the consumption of alcohol.

However, I will never vote to keep you or any other citizen from having the right to have your voice heard by the people through a referendum on the creation or consumption of alcohol.

This was not a referendum bill.

I do not drink alcohol.

I do not condemn people who drink alcohol. The legal consumption of alcohol is a personal choice.

Please let me know if you would like to discuss this issue with me further.

JHM

John H. Merrill
State House 62
(205) xxx-xxxx - Cell

The nonsense about not preventing a referendum was a silly political smokescreen, and I resent it.

I also resent the bit about legal use of alcohol being a choice... hello, the homebrew bill is about repealing an antiquiated law so that I have the opportunity to legally produce and consume alcohol. Telling me that you have nothing against legal use, but that you will vote no on any alcohol bills, means that you consider me to be a criminal and want to keep it that way.

Needless to say, I vote against Mr Merrill.

Fermenting: nothing
Lagering: Swarthy Satyr (traditional bock)
Bottled: Royal Goblin (Hoppy Hobgoblin rendition), Treasure Type "T" (oatmeal toffee stout), Enchantress (big Irish red ale), Frostfire (Oktoberfest), Thundersmoke brown ale

Old 01-20-2013, 02:02 PM   #33
tx_shooter
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I just sent the info to all my family around Dothan. Maybe someday they can brew their own beer.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:16 PM   #34
MVKTR2
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 18

One of my greatest personal moral battles is not drinking too much nor too often, it is the challenge of NOT hating politicians, almost the whole lot about 99.9%! I won't travel further down that rabbit hole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc View Post
That's unfortunate as well. Since I never hear anything about Mississippi and homebrewing I assume they're much further out from legalizing it.
MS has had bills die where common sense always goes to die, in legislative committee since 2007 or 2008. Yet given the passage of the abv bill last year and it's path traveled through the tourism committee in the house, there is renewed hope this year as it is THE main focus of legislative efforts for Raise Your Pints and is finally and thankfully assigned to the tourism committee. Who knows... who cares... I don't ask government for permission to exercise my natural rights. When liberty is outlawed, only outlaws will have liberty.

Would anyone like to hear about the 'baggy pants ban' voted into effect in my county seat?

"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Old 01-22-2013, 06:34 PM   #35
dfc
Audio Engineer/Instructor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 196 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVKTR2 View Post
One of my greatest personal moral battles is not drinking too much nor too often, it is the challenge of NOT hating politicians, almost the whole lot about 99.9%! I won't travel further down that rabbit hole.

MS has had bills die where common sense always goes to die, in legislative committee since 2007 or 2008. Yet given the passage of the abv bill last year and it's path traveled through the tourism committee in the house, there is renewed hope this year as it is THE main focus of legislative efforts for Raise Your Pints and is finally and thankfully assigned to the tourism committee. Who knows... who cares... I don't ask government for permission to exercise my natural rights. When liberty is outlawed, only outlaws will have liberty.

Would anyone like to hear about the 'baggy pants ban' voted into effect in my county seat?
Haha, wow.

Kegged: Beer
Bottled: Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer.
Primary: Beer
Secondary: Beer

How to brew extract (with pictures!)

How to brew extract (Video)

Simple bottling process

Old 01-22-2013, 08:13 PM   #36
Huff360
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVKTR2 View Post

Our well known "What's Wrong with the beer we got?" representative passed his own version here last session!!

http://www.waka.com/news/montgomery-...139465303.html

Old 01-22-2013, 08:18 PM   #37
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 936 Times on 665 Posts
Likes Given: 2007

Organize against his extremist views, make him pay for them politically and others will fall. That's a fundamental rule of political organizing. Your vote is important but it will take sustained organizing to unseat these radicals and punish them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewdad View Post
I took my rep to task over it, as well. He did reply, but in a very "politician" way, as follows:

The nonsense about not preventing a referendum was a silly political smokescreen, and I resent it.

I also resent the bit about legal use of alcohol being a choice... hello, the homebrew bill is about repealing an antiquiated law so that I have the opportunity to legally produce and consume alcohol. Telling me that you have nothing against legal use, but that you will vote no on any alcohol bills, means that you consider me to be a criminal and want to keep it that way.

Needless to say, I vote against Mr Merrill.

My wife's book "Uncovering Lives: Discovering One Immigrant Generation's Secrets and Lives of Forgiveness, Grace and Healing"

Old 01-22-2013, 08:20 PM   #38
BarefootFriar
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I emailed both my senator and my representative over this a couple weeks ago. My representative did not reply. My senator did reply, saying that the bill had died on the floor of the senate in the last session.

EDIT: Deleted the next part because, on further reflection, it wasn't terribly intelligent.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:28 PM   #39
Huff360
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 9

We have had several news outlets run a story on HB9 recently:

http://whnt.com/2013/01/20/homebrewbill/
http://blog.al.com/wire/2013/01/new_...homebrewi.html

Old 01-22-2013, 08:39 PM   #40
aubiecat
Blake Owen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huff360 View Post
Good publicity. The interview with Mac was money.

Blake
Electric BIAB Build | BIAB Mesh False Bottom | Controller/Fermentation Chest

Quick Reply