*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Alabama Homebrew Legislation 2013

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2013, 08:52 PM   #221
dfc
Audio Engineer/Instructor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 197 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 123

It looks like the people in power in Alabama don't believe in freedom...

Kegged: Beer
Bottled: Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer.
Primary: Beer
Secondary: Beer

How to brew extract (with pictures!)

How to brew extract (Video)

Simple bottling process

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2013, 09:50 PM   #222
Huff360
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I dunno -

Lots of counties you can walk into the courthouse, pay $20 and walk out with a concealed carry permit. No requirements for non-criminals to jump through worthless hoops like a lot of states.

Most counties, there are no building code requirements, you're free to do whatever you want. No building permit, no phase inspections, just a septic permit and a meter base inspection and you're golden.

I'm not required to peel the tint off my windows every year to pay the state to "inspect" my vehicle.

In most places, I can get my own property zoned for whatever the hell I want to do with it, and in a lot of those places I don't have to have it zoned at all. I can already do what I want.

I'm sure the list goes on that a lot of other places don't have. It's just a matter of where our government chooses to stick it to us compared to where your government chooses to stick it to you!

I've lived a couple other places.... I kinda like it around here. I am working on moving out of the 'city' where I'll have a little more freedom though. If I wanna take a leak in my own front yard, I see nothing wrong with that. My neighbors right now probably would.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:17 PM   #223
Accidic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 66

If your tinting is so dark that you'd have to peel it off then it's dark enough to ticket you. Granted, I bought a car long since tinted and got pulled over to be ticketed on my trip taking it to have work done. I have a theory about that but it'd be frowned on here. Must say it's rather infuriating to be pulled over and slapped with a window tinting ticket when I'm sitting there watching darker windows pass.

On the upside we've still got time left. Not that that would help us if they decide to sit on their laurels and play stupid. Frankly, while I didn't personally have issue with their "pay raise," I believe they should have to vote on every single prepared bill that makes it out of committee before they can end the session.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:54 PM   #224
BamaProud
Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Hope it passes, I'm originally from Mobile, AL. Living in TN now, but frequently take some homebrew with me on trips back home to Alabama.

Ferm3 -Apfelwein, Ferm4 -Skeeter Pee, Ferm5 -Jawbreaker Pale Ale

Old 03-06-2013, 02:28 PM   #225
CGVT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 375 Times on 247 Posts
Likes Given: 266

The haven't updated the SOC on the website yet. Not sure what is going on, other than this:

Montgomery, AL -
By PHILLIP RAWLS
Associated Press

MONTGOMERY, Ala. (AP) - A judge plans to rule Wednesday on whether the governor can sign into law a bill providing private school tax credits.

Gov. Robert Bentley had planned to sign the bill Tuesday afternoon, but Montgomery Circuit Court Judge Charles Price temporarily put that on hold while he considers a lawsuit filed by the Alabama Education Association.

Price's temporary hold order reads as followed:

"At whatever time the Alabama House of Representatives goes into session today, the House Journal is opened, and /or House Bill 84 is transmitted to Defendant Jeff Woodard, Defendant Jeff Woodard, any employee under his direction or control as Clerk of the Alabama House of Representatives, or any other person acting in concert with him, is hereby enjoined and restrained from taking any action on HB 84, including, but not limited to the acts of enrolling or transmitting the bill to the Governor, until this order is altered, amended, vacated, or superseded."

Price heard arguments Tuesday afternoon on whether the Legislature violated Alabama's open meeting law and its own operating rules in passing the bill in a series of quick votes Thursday night.

Price told attorneys to be back in his courtroom at 8:30 a.m. Wednesday when he will give them his decision.

The bill provides tax credits for parents who move their children from failing public schools to private schools. Tax credits would help cover tuition.

"Filled with mingled cream and amber I will drain that glass again. Such hilarious visions clamber through the chambers of my brain--Quaintest thoughts--queerest fancies come to life and fade away; Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today"-Edgar Alan Poe

My Keezer build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/keez...y-turn-340755/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium View Post
Do what you like, brew what you like. Don't be a tool.

Old 03-06-2013, 02:38 PM   #226
Huff360
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Yeah, Republican bills are screwed for the rest of this session I bet.

Old 03-06-2013, 02:41 PM   #227
jhoneycutt
Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 2024

The money would also follow the child to another public school if that's where the parent chooses to send their child. I think it's a great thing all things considered. But got my fingers crossed they'll get to the homebrew bill and get it signed into law this year as well.

Old 03-06-2013, 02:50 PM   #228
CGVT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I think it would be the start of the end of public education in this state. A bad thing and a bad bill, IMO.

"Filled with mingled cream and amber I will drain that glass again. Such hilarious visions clamber through the chambers of my brain--Quaintest thoughts--queerest fancies come to life and fade away; Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today"-Edgar Alan Poe

Quote:

Old 03-06-2013, 03:10 PM   #229
Accidic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Their fixes for public schools are jokes and travesties at best. My daughter is so far beyond the majority of the students at her school in the grade above her it's laughable at best. She's already devoured their library which isn't difficult as they limit her to books they consider 4th grade reading level (she's in 1st). Like it or not, the private institutions are doing something right (frequently anyway) or people wouldn't be paying the exorbitant tuition they demand. They also tend to be less prone to government guided indoctrination than the public monstrosities. And for the record, my father was a long time public school teacher in Alabama supports the bill as well. When you nourish and support failure, it flourishes and expands. No child falls behind = No child gets ahead. As the bar plummets, many kids will pay the price as a result in the current broken system as a result.

Back on topic though, so we're likely going to get screwed over yet again because of one political group's butthurted? Fanfreakingtastic. I still maintain that any bill that makes it out of committee should be REQUIRED to have a vote on have a vote cast before they're allowed to close session. You better gd well believe if your butt gets drafted for Grand Jury duty they make you go through 100% of those cases before they let you go.

Old 03-06-2013, 04:03 PM   #230
CGVT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Does anyone know when they reconvene? (either House or Senate?)

Quote:

Quick Reply