The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Alabama Homebrew Legislation 2013

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2013, 10:08 PM   #131
CGVT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 367 Times on 241 Posts
Likes Given: 255

Quote:
Originally Posted by biohaz7331 View Post
Great news indeed then people can publicly share and talk about brewing!
Not yet. There is still a long way to go.

"Filled with mingled cream and amber I will drain that glass again. Such hilarious visions clamber through the chambers of my brain--Quaintest thoughts--queerest fancies come to life and fade away; Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today"-Edgar Alan Poe

My Keezer build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/keez...y-turn-340755/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium View Post
Do what you like, brew what you like. Don't be a tool.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 10:56 PM   #132
Bryali
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huff360
GREAT News guys - HB9 passes committee with flying colors. Next stop - House floor for a full vote!

Thanks to Jason, Dan, Bill, and Joe for presenting our case. All 4 speakers did a great job. Mac (our House Sponsor) hit a home run with his speech. The Committee had some great questions, all of which were answered very well.

Our Senate Sponsor, Bill Holtzclaw, showed his support by attending. Many thanks to him and the work he is doing for us.

We hope tomorrow goes just as well as today did!!
Fantastic!! 1 step closer!!

Old 02-21-2013, 02:24 PM   #133
aubiecat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Is it on the special order today? I checked the website but SO isn't up yet.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:38 PM   #134
Huff360
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubiecat View Post
Is it on the special order today? I checked the website but SO isn't up yet.
Not that I am aware of. ALISON does look pretty out of date on some stuff.

I will do my best to give a heads up and a link to floor audio when we are scheduled. It is usually interesting/infuriating to listen to the debate.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:49 PM   #135
aubiecat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Last year I listened to the audio of the legislature on the days when the last bill was on the special order. It was completely maddening!
To save what little bit of sanity I have left I have decided I won't listen to the debate this year. I just want to know if it passed.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:52 PM   #136
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Liked 316 Times on 236 Posts
Likes Given: 226

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubiecat View Post
Last year I listened to the audio of the legislature on the days when the last bill was on the special order. It was completely maddening!
To save what little bit of sanity I have left I have decided I won't listen to the debate this year. I just want to know if it passed.
I know how you feel. I hate how we because a laughingstock over the stupidity that goes on in the legislature, but I also feel drawn to it (much like it's hard to look away from an overturned 18 wheeler).

Fermenting: nothing
Lagering: Swarthy Satyr (traditional bock)
Bottled: Royal Goblin (Hoppy Hobgoblin rendition), Treasure Type "T" (oatmeal toffee stout), Enchantress (big Irish red ale), Frostfire (Oktoberfest), Thundersmoke brown ale

Old 02-21-2013, 02:55 PM   #137
CGVT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Good write up and a good response to the "what about the chirrens?" question that seems to be a mainstay of the opposition's argument.

House committee approves bill that would legalize home brewing of beer
By Mike Cason | mcason@al.com
on February 20, 2013 at 5:35 PM, updated February 20, 2013 at 9:31 PM Print

Email

Rep. Mac McCutcheon, R-Huntsville. (Robin Conn/The Huntsville Times)

MONTGOMERY, Alabama --- The House Economic Development and Tourism Committee today approved a bill that would allow those 21 and older to make home brewed beer, wine, mead and cider for personal use.

The bill, by Rep. Mac McCutcheon, R-Huntsville, would limit the total production to 15 gallons every three months.

The committee approved the bill after a public hearing, putting it in position for consideration by the House of Representatives.

Several home brewing enthusiasts spoke in favor of the bill.

Jason Sledd of Huntsville told the committee he took up home brewing as a hobby last year.

“At the time, I had no idea what I was doing was illegal in the state of Alabama,” Sledd said.

Sledd said he learned home brewing was illegal after joining a home brewers club.

Rep. Berry Forte, D-Eufaula, said he was opposed to the use of alcohol because of what it had done to some family members. He asked Sledd whether he brewed beer in front of his children.

Sledd said he did, and said he was teaching them the responsible way to use alcohol.

“They will have years of experience of seeing an adult drink alcohol and not being intoxicated,” Sledd said.

Joe Godfrey, executive director of ALCAP, a nonprofit lobbying organization backed by churches, and Dan Ireland, executive director emeritus of ALCAP, spoke in opposition to the bill.

Godfrey said ALCAP opposed all efforts to liberalize alcohol policies. He said Alabama ranks low among states in alcohol sales and alcohol consumption.

“I think that’s a good thing to brag on, the fact that we consume low amounts here in Alabama,” Godfrey said. “We don’t want to be like everybody else.”

Ireland quoted scripture from the Book of Romans that counsels “not to put a stumbling block” in the way of others.

“You’re going to be setting a tone, not only in your home, but in your area, that’s going to entice others to drink,” Ireland said.

McCutcheon, the bill’s sponsor, said he understood the negative effects of alcohol abuse, but said that home brewing is not about promoting intoxication. He noted the biblical account of Jesus turning water into wine.

“Drunkenness is a sin,” McCutcheon said. “Drunkenness is a result not of alcohol, but of the abuse of alcohol.”

He said those who abuse alcohol can already do so with commercial beers.

“This is not the issue here,” McCutcheon said. “This is about the rights of an individual to have the freedom to have a hobby that they enjoy.”

Joe Defee told the committee he has had a successful career in the computer science field and began home brewing when he worked in Washington, D.C. He said the appeal of home brewing for him was similar to the appeal of his other hobby, making acoustic guitars and mandolins. He said he wanted to master the craft.

“I’m really doing this hobby because I’m striving to create a product,” Defee said.

The bill would not legalize home brewing in dry counties and cities. Those convicted of a felony would be banned from home brewing.

"Filled with mingled cream and amber I will drain that glass again. Such hilarious visions clamber through the chambers of my brain--Quaintest thoughts--queerest fancies come to life and fade away; Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today"-Edgar Alan Poe

Quote:

Old 02-21-2013, 03:02 PM   #138
Huff360
Recipes 

SB171 is reported favorably from committee in a 5-1 vote!

Thanks to Mike, Joe, and Danner for representing our side of the case, as well as a huge thank you to Sen. Holtzclaw for bringing the bill forth!!

Mississippi, you'd better watch out!

Old 02-21-2013, 03:04 PM   #139
CGVT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nice. Who was the nay?

Quote:

Old 02-21-2013, 03:06 PM   #140
Huff360
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGVT View Post
Rep. Berry Forte, D-Eufaula, said he was opposed to the use of alcohol because of what it had done to some family members. He asked Sledd whether he brewed beer in front of his children.

Sledd said he did, and said he was teaching them the responsible way to use alcohol.

“They will have years of experience of seeing an adult drink alcohol and not being intoxicated,” Sledd said.
Rep. Forte also brought out later that his Grandmother always kept a "jar of moonshine" at the house while he was growing up.

Mac thanked Rep. Forte for proving his point for him. He pointed out that he hoped that the all the children that are currently growing up in the homes of these homebrewers could turn out as well as Rep. Forte has, and be such upstanding and respected members of the community!

It was a not just a home run, it was a grand slam!

Rep. Forte responded that "times are different now" and really had no other rebuttal.

Quick Reply