Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Alabama Homebrew Legislation 2013

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2013, 03:53 PM   #111
homebrewdad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 320 Times on 239 Posts
Likes Given: 227

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingRichard View Post
The biggest deal is that brewing no longer becomes a felony under the new law. Violations of the quantity (if busted) would only be a class c misdemeanor.
And would be pretty tough to prove.

Fermenting: nothing
Lagering: Swarthy Satyr (traditional bock)
Bottled: Royal Goblin (Hoppy Hobgoblin rendition), Treasure Type "T" (oatmeal toffee stout), Enchantress (big Irish red ale), Frostfire (Oktoberfest), Thundersmoke brown ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 05:12 PM   #112
alestateyall
Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 5

The Alabama moral authority (ALCAP) makes a big deal about homebrew and storage. They claim the bill limits storage to 15 gallons per quarter. It is really easy to prove if you have more than 15 gallons of homebrew in your house when and if they ever raid you.

Of course it is only a misdemeanor. I hope it is a class c misdemeanor. In Mississippi it is currently a misdemeanor to brew without a license punishable by $1000 fine and 1 year jail time.

EDIT: corrected Mississippi misdemeanor punishment.

Old 02-11-2013, 05:48 PM   #113
Huff360
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehaar View Post
They claim the bill limits storage to 15 gallons per quarter.
They are correct. Page 3, Lines 12-15

Quote:
...Further, there shall not be in any legal
residence at any one time, more than an aggregate amount of 15
gallons of beer, mead, cider, and table wine which has been
produced under the authority of this act.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehaar View Post
Of course it is only a misdemeanor. I hope is is a class c misdemeanor.
I'm not 100% clear on that one yet. The synopsis says any violation would be a Class C. But Section 1(i) (page 5, lines 3 and 4) say Class B.

Right to Brew does not recommend that you operate outside the limitations set forth in the bill! Possession limits, as kehaar said, are very easy to enforce. Walk in, count gallons, issue citation.

Old 02-11-2013, 05:50 PM   #114
sneakymeade
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'm pretty sure that in order to get caught, either someone would have to report you, or the cops would be in your house for another reason and discover the contraband, like if you were robbed or something.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:04 PM   #115
MVKTR2
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakymeade View Post
I'm pretty sure that in order to get caught, either someone would have to report you, or the cops would be in your house for another reason and discover the contraband, like if you were robbed or something.
NEVER call the police except to pick up a body, period! Their job is law enforcement, society is wise to remember this. Most importantly is the fact that the law is so expansive that every American above the age of 18 is literally a felon. (google 3 felonies a day)

On the positive side, in MS homebrew bills breezed through both the house and senate committees. Additionally the senate bill passed with 11 iirc senators voting nay. Things are looking GOOD!

"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Old 02-14-2013, 02:27 PM   #116
Huff360
Recipes 

More good press! Including a couple shots of the recently released posters.

http://www.abc3340.com/video?clipId=8375913&autostart=true

A special thanks to Birmingham Budweiser for their public endorsement!

Old 02-14-2013, 02:54 PM   #117
Darwin18
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 668 Times on 482 Posts
Likes Given: 395

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVKTR2 View Post
NEVER call the police except to pick up a body, period! Their job is law enforcement, society is wise to remember this. Most importantly is the fact that the law is so expansive that every American above the age of 18 is literally a felon. (google 3 felonies a day)!
That is probably the worst advice I have seen posted on these forums in a long, long time.

Old 02-17-2013, 01:35 AM   #118
jhoneycutt
Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 1818

Any new news?

Old 02-18-2013, 03:47 PM   #119
Huff360
Recipes 

Public hearing before the House ED&T committee is scheduled for tomorrow.

So far there are about 10 people committed to attending, which based on the positions of those on the committee, should be plenty.

Should anyone in the State want to contact their Representatives and politely ask them to voice support to the ED&T committee for the favorable passage of HB9 tomorrow that would be great.

It is customary to sign an e-mail to your Reps with your first and last name followed by the city that you live in.

John Brewer
Montgomery, AL

That helps them to know you are a constituent of theirs. This adds weight to the message because if you aren't in their district, you can't vote for their competition!

It is also acceptable to send a note to members of the ED&T committee despite not living in their District (but still in the State) because the decision they make tomorrow will impact you. Members of that Committee can be found here - http://www.legislature.state.al.us/house/housecommittees.html#Anchor-BOARD-7299

Calling the office of the Reps is also fine. You will usually speak to an Aid of some sort (I'm not sure what that person's title actually is). You can just tell them that you are calling to ask for a favorable committee vote on HB9 "The Homebrew Bill". They keep a tally and pass that along to the Rep. who looks it over as part of their decision to vote Yea or Nay.

Folks from out of state. We appreciate the concern, but please don't contact any of the Reps. We have no proof of it happening or not happening, but our opponents said they they received a lot of correspondence from out of state last year.

If anyone has any questions on how they can help or wants any info, feel free to post. I'll do my best to get the info to you.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:25 PM   #120
Accidic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Isn't making Wine in Mississippi legal at least already? Since we don't even have that it seems like it would make us #50 of 50 states to finally allow federal law to be observed (even if limiting it).

Here's hoping our support actually does some good this time around.

Quick Reply