New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Alabama Homebrew Legislation 2013

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2013, 03:41 PM   #91
PhelanKA7
Relax? RELAX?!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 202

I am an atheist but if I was religious I don't think God would mind if private citizens took part in turning water into various libations. They believe his son did the same thing, right?

Old 02-08-2013, 03:45 PM   #92
aubiecat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhelanKA7 View Post
2 questions:

1) I always hear about Alabama's fight to legalize homebrew but what is going on in Mississippi? Is there no push at all in that state to legalize?

2) Is the limit of 15 gallons per quarter in Alabama enforceable or is that just to appease politicians on the fence? It seems that the only way they could enforce it would be if they made homebrewers become licensed...
I believe the 15 gallon per quarter was to appease the beer distributors.

downhomebrews Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 03:46 PM   #93
aubiecat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhelanKA7 View Post
I am an atheist but if I was religious I don't think God would mind if private citizens took part in turning water into various libations. They believe his son did the same thing, right?
Lets please not go there.
downhomebrews Likes This 
Old 02-08-2013, 03:53 PM   #94
CGVT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 323 Times on 215 Posts
Likes Given: 224

Let's just say that it is a very complicated issue in Alabama. A politician could actually ruin his career over this issue. It is tough to take a strong stance toward homebrewing and possibly derail a political career if a person is not completely sold on the issue.

I think the best way to sell it is individual rights argument, although many will still say that the evils of alcohol trump the individual's right to brew.

"Filled with mingled cream and amber I will drain that glass again. Such hilarious visions clamber through the chambers of my brain--Quaintest thoughts--queerest fancies come to life and fade away; Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today"-Edgar Alan Poe

My Keezer build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/keezer-i-guess-its-my-turn-340755/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium View Post
Do what you like, brew what you like. Don't be a tool.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:57 PM   #95
CGVT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

And, it you want to see what we are up against, check out this site. ALCAP: Alabama's self appointed "moral compass" **sigh**

http://www.alcap.com/

"Filled with mingled cream and amber I will drain that glass again. Such hilarious visions clamber through the chambers of my brain--Quaintest thoughts--queerest fancies come to life and fade away; Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today"-Edgar Alan Poe

My Keezer build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/keezer-i-guess-its-my-turn-340755/

Quote:

Old 02-08-2013, 04:15 PM   #96
PhelanKA7
Relax? RELAX?!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGVT View Post
And, it you want to see what we are up against, check out this site. ALCAP: Alabama's self appointed "moral compass" **sigh**

http://www.alcap.com/
That stuff is just too painful to read.

Old 02-08-2013, 04:21 PM   #97
Huff360
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubiecat View Post
I believe the 15 gallon per quarter was to appease the beer distributors.
Nah, AWBA is good with us brewing. They understand that beer brewers are also beer drinkers. The more brewers there are, the more beer they sell. Very few folks take up brewing and stop buying commercial beer.

The production/possession limits were placed in the bill as a part of a compromise deal to get the support of more folks. There were a lot of guys on the floor the first go round screaming about there being tanker trucks of beer parked behind every brewer's house.

The limit is low enough that it takes quantity out of the list of things that opponents can talk about.

Keep in mind that the way the law is written, this is both a production and a possession limit. It is unfortunate that it is that way, but getting things through all the process is a lot of work. Concessions have to be made. That means that the limits are rather enforceable. If the ABC were to show up and you have 4 carboys of Mead that were bulk aging from last year, you would be in violation of the possession limit.

It is not an ideal bill for us. There are things that everyone dislikes. That's why they call it compromise!

As far as the Raise Your Pints (Mississippi) Bill, they have concurrent bills also, the Senate Bill passed the Senate with a short debate of less than 10 minutes. The House bill is on the calendar for a floor debate. They have made an amazing amount of progress very quickly. Let's wish them luck and hopefully come the end of this year, there will be no more homebreweing prohibition!

Old 02-08-2013, 04:26 PM   #98
CGVT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

The problem is that those people are very passionate about the issue and greatly outnumber homebrewers in the state. They will contact their legislators. The rest of general population doesn't really care one way or another. You may get some agreement when talking to non-homebrewing friends, but most don't care enough to contact their Representatives or Senators, or it is not a big enough issue to them to vote for someone else. Even if we did elect different reps, the outcome would probably be the same as there are not any candidates out there that are going to run on a pro-homebrewing or pro-alcohol platform.

Quote:

Old 02-08-2013, 04:27 PM   #99
CGVT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Huff, you seemed to be dialed in. What are you hearing?

Quote:

Old 02-08-2013, 05:05 PM   #100
Huff360
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I sat through a few meetings with Mac last year at the State House and watched most of the floor debate in person. I'm not on the front lines, but I do hang out with the guys who are working on this all day every day.

The word right now is "cautiously optimistic."

We have a huge media following right now. There are stories and articles popping up all over the place. We are starting to hear that e-mails are being sent. We have 1,000+ on the e-mail distribution list. We have glasses all over the state driving more and more folks to the website on a daily basis. The posters are getting delivered to bars, tap rooms, and restaurants right now.

There is huge momentum. As with anything politics, there is no telling what the outcome will be until it is done. We have a great chance in the House. Mac is chair of the Rules committee, so once HB9 makes it through the ED&T Committee we should be on the floor pretty quickly.

Floor debate is going to be the same as last year. We will burn up the better part of a day I'm sure. There will be many amendments proposed, as usual, in an attempt to burn up time. Hopefully, we will prevail and move to the Senate.

SB171 plays an important role. If it can go ahead and get though committee, when HB9 passes, we will sub HB9 in place of SB171 and then HB9 can go right to the Senate calendar. That could save as much as a week or more.

Overall, I don't know. We have a better chance this year than we did last year. Media attention, the Hop City raid, continued growth of HomeBrewing in the Country and State are all positive things for us.

One thing to keep in mind - Keep any comments you make on news websites, in person, or in e-mails sent to anyone respectable. Not that anyone would, but don't go sending ALCAP or Legislators who voted NO hate mail. They have beliefs that their members support. That is their right. They disagree with our viewpoint just as much as we disagree with theirs.

Quick Reply