The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Alabama Homebrew Legalization

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2010, 01:25 AM   #31
LeeF
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Contact your Representative and ask for their support on this bill. Contact your friends who we all know enjoy your beers because its free and ask that they contact their Representative and ask for their support on this bill. Call your grandmother and ask she contact her Representative or you may go to jail next time you brew.

Cheers,
Lee

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2010, 02:01 AM   #32
v2comp
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by twohands View Post
*sniffle* - I'm no longer a crook...there goes my street cred...

FINALLY!!!!

So we need to plan a party where we all bring less than the allotted 20 gallons to celebrate.
I say we bring a friend and 40 gallons to the party....

Old 02-24-2010, 02:24 AM   #33
brewagentjay
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2comp View Post
I say we bring a friend and 40 gallons to the party....
Yeah Baby!!!!!!!!!!

Primary - Apfelwein v2, JChrapewein, Light Scottish Ale, SW 420 v2, Devil Dog Ale Version 2
Secondary - OxiClean
Just Bottled - Jay's Irish Stout
On Deck - The Orginal Fat Tire
Planning - "Hail to the Chief -IIPA", "The Straw Berry Blonde"
NTBA - Wicked Ale

Semper Fi

Old 02-24-2010, 06:00 AM   #34
FreeM80s
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewagentjay View Post
So we all need to have a party only bring less than 20 gallons each to celebrate.
How about we all just brew a simple 5gal brew, bring in kegs and have a huge hotel party. rent one of those banquet rooms. Birmingham work for everyone? I am sure between us brewers and our friends who enjoy our great beer we can get a large gathering. I'm going to start working on my alabama emancipation recipe...

Old 02-24-2010, 06:11 AM   #35
TheBeerNerd
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

+1 on the party idea...

Thinking of renaming my pale "Amendment Ale"

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtotten View Post
After reviewing that, I'm confident that stir plates are the way to go! Although I'd still like to find a way to use sex toys in brewing.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:24 AM   #36
FreeM80s
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Next step: find your local reps and email them.
http://www.freethehops.org/legislative/ its easy to fid your local rep. shoot them an email or phone call. OR a fax. Faxes are much harder to ignore. Lets become a modern state guys

[edit] Make sure you say SB153. We have 2 laws trying to pass, but SB153 is for home brewers [/edit]

Old 02-24-2010, 02:18 PM   #37
brewagentjay
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

So Does SB153 have to now pass the house? Damn so close.....

Primary - Apfelwein v2, JChrapewein, Light Scottish Ale, SW 420 v2, Devil Dog Ale Version 2
Secondary - OxiClean
NTBA - Wicked Ale

Semper Fi

Old 02-24-2010, 02:20 PM   #38
brewagentjay
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Well I got some emails, faxes, and calls to make..............if that's the case.

Secondary - OxiClean
NTBA - Wicked Ale

Semper Fi

Old 02-24-2010, 04:35 PM   #39
LeeF
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewagentjay View Post
So Does SB153 have to now pass the house? Damn so close.....
Yes...It has only passed the senate. It now has to pass the house then it must get the governor's signature. Email your Representative asking for support. If it passes the house, email Riley's office asking him to sign the bill into law.

Old 02-24-2010, 05:39 PM   #40
TheBeerNerd
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Just emailed my representative. Here's what I said:

Quote:
Rep. Demetrius C. Newton
Alabama State House, Room 516-D
11 South Union Street
Montgomery, AL 36101

Dear Rep. Newton,

I am writing to ask that you support SB153, The Homebrewing Legislation Bill.

Homebrewing is a hobby enjoyed by over 5,000 Alabamians statewide and nearly 750,000 nationally. It currently is classified illegal under Ala. Code § 28-1-1.

An outline of SB153 can be found here: http://alisondb.legislature.state.al...ills/sb153.htm

The reason I ask you support SB153, is that I am a homebrewer who feels these laws are outdated and unnecessary. Homebrewing has long been a part of American tradition. In colonial times, homebrewing was a common household practice, typically performed by women. Many of the Nation’s founders, including George Washington and Thomas Jefferson, were homebrewers. Homebrewing was federally legalized in 1978 for the first time since prohibition made it illegal in 1919. It is currently legal in 47 states.

Homebrewers are well aware of the effects of alcohol and their personal limits, and as a result tend to be more responsible than most other consumers of alcohol. They have a deep knowledge of the ingredients of beer and the brewing and fermentation process. Their primary reason for consuming beer is to enjoy the diverse array of flavors and aromas that can be found in beer – they approach beer much like wine connoisseurs approach fine wine. Homebrewers serve as examples to others for how to consume alcohol in a responsible manner.
Many believe legalizing homebrewing will contribute to an increase in underage drinking. To the contrary, homebrewing requires a fairly substantial initial investment in equipment ($80-$120) that minors would be unlikely to want or be able to spend. The equipment is bulky, cannot be easily hidden and the process of brewing a batch of beer takes several weeks. There are other forms of alcohol currently available (e.g. sub-premium beer, malt liquor, fortified wine, sub-premium spirits) that are cheaper and much more easily attainable for minors.
Homebrewers have a close affinity with professional brewers, and are the leading advocates for supporting small local breweries. In doing so, they help to contribute to the state by purchasing locally produced beer, supporting local small businesses, which in turn employ local residents. They purchase ingredients from locally owned businesses, which also contribute to local tax revenue and employ local workers. Homebrewers are inclined to encourage their friends and family members who consume alcohol to likewise support local breweries.

I hope you can lend your support to this bill which is important to many Alabama residents. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

Keith Martin
[address hidden]
Birmingham, AL 35205
If you don't know who to write, you can find out here. If your zip code has multiple districts, you can use this map.

Feel free to use my letter as a template and add to it, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtotten View Post
After reviewing that, I'm confident that stir plates are the way to go! Although I'd still like to find a way to use sex toys in brewing.

Quick Reply