Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Alabama Homebrew Legalization

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2010, 03:13 AM   #101
DocBrown
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Here's the story on that incident:

Restrictions on homebrewing are not enforced in Alabama. From what I understand, no one has gotten in real trouble in a good 10 years. Back in early 2008, a reporter from LA came to Alabama intending to write an article on the beer restrictions (largely due to the Free the Hops group starting to get attention). FTH contacted the Rocket City Brewers and asked if the group would invite the reporter to one of the meetings. RCB did so, and several people talked to the reporter about the beer laws in the state at a club meeting at Scott Oberman's house. There were requests to see the article before it was published. Unfortunately, that didn't happen. The next thing RCB heard was that the article had been published and was written in a pretty in-your-face manner. Here's the article.

The article got picked up by some of the newspaper conglomerates and got published in several places around the country. Eventually it got published on the front page of the Mobile paper. A short time later, Scott Oberman came home and saw a note on the door from the Alabama Beverage Control (ABC). He called them to find out what was going on and was told that there had been a complaint and he needed to come down to the office so they could make sure he was fully aware of the laws regarding homebrewing in the state. He did ask if he could just download the laws from their website, but they told him they needed him to sign a statement indicating that he had been made aware of the homebrewing restrictions. At the meeting, the agent did indicate that there was no intention to follow up or prosecute Oberman, but that a complaint had been made due to the article, and the Montgomery office required that they follow up with it.

Since that time (two years ago now), Scott no longer brews anything at his house. Many of us in the Huntsville area have government contractor jobs and our livelihood relies on our security clearance, which would certainly be revoked if we were prosecuted for homebrewing. Scott, more than any of us, has a lot of incentive to get homebrewing legalized!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2010, 12:50 PM   #102
brewagentjay
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Well, I also wanted both bills to pass. I plan to open a brewpub but it would be nice to legally do test batches at home. So for now I'll continue to break the law at home and work toward my dream of a brew pub..........

Primary - Apfelwein v2, JChrapewein, Light Scottish Ale, SW 420 v2, Devil Dog Ale Version 2
Secondary - OxiClean
Just Bottled - Jay's Irish Stout
On Deck - The Orginal Fat Tire
Planning - "Hail to the Chief -IIPA", "The Straw Berry Blonde"
NTBA - Wicked Ale

Semper Fi

Old 04-18-2010, 11:13 PM   #103
FreeM80s
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
Here's the story on that incident:

Restrictions on homebrewing are not enforced in Alabama. ... Scott, more than any of us, has a lot of incentive to get homebrewing legalized!
I am pretty sure that is the story I am thinking of, but the way it was written on the site I read it on was making it out like that Scott guy was trying to fight it to gain attention for FTH. Just another good reason to take pretty much everything you read on the internet with a grain of salt. It is looking good for all of us though. I can not wait for alabama to have more than 4 or 5 beers that are brewed in our state

Old 04-21-2010, 04:17 PM   #104
FreeM80s
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

This is the week for the Brewery Modernization Act and Homebrew bill
By Dan Roberts | Published: April 20, 2010

This is the final week of the legislative session in Montgomery. In dramatic fashion, the Brewery Modernization Act may come up on the second-to-last or last day of the 2010 session – this Wednesday or Thursday.

SB328 has already passed the Senate and should come up for a vote in the House this Wednesday or Thursday. After that, it goes to the Governor. Now is the time to contact your House Representative and tell them you support SB328, the Brewery Modernization Act. Please do this today. Send an email and/or call. We can’t guarantee you a vote – they haven’t yet finalized their agenda for those days – but we’re working on it and letting them know this is important to you will help. One thing we’ve proved over the years is that we can make a difference.

We are at the cusp of changing our second law to bring common sense and better beer to Alabama. We’re one easy vote away from a pro-business bill that will help grow the brewing industry in Alabama. One vote away from helping our local breweries compete in a nationally competitive industry.

If the House approves and the Governor signs off on this bill, our local breweries like Good People, Olde Towne, and Straight to Ale will be able to offer their fans tap rooms and events at the brewery. Our local brewpubs like Montgomery Brewing will be able to sell their beer outside of the brewpub. New breweries and brewpubs will have an incentive to open in your area as much of the restrictions placed on owning a brewery in Alabama will be reduced.

To learn more about why the Brewery Modernization Act is important to Alabama’s beer consumers, see this blog post. To learn what the current bill specifically changes, see this blog post.

Also, we have been following SB153, the Homebrew Legialization Bill. After an excruciating period of being held up in House committee, this bill may yet make it for its final vote this week along with the Brewery Modernization Act. This is an exciting development. Until very recently, most of this bill’s supporters considered this bill dead for the session. However, the chairman of the House Tourism and Travel Committee recently contacted our lobbyist and told him that he wanted our support to put Homebrew Legalization on the Special Order Calendar this week. He has it.

Tell your state Representative that you support these bills – SB328 (Brewery Modernization Act) and SB153 (Homebrew Legalization) and let me know if you receive any feedback.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:31 PM   #105
isleofman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 295

just popped off an email to my state rep. keep the updates coming!

A watched pot never boils. An unwatched pot always boils over.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:30 PM   #106
brewagentjay
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Will do the same. Hell yeah my brewpub can become reality............
Done but my Rep is a D!ck Head..........

Primary - Apfelwein v2, JChrapewein, Light Scottish Ale, SW 420 v2, Devil Dog Ale Version 2
Secondary - OxiClean
Just Bottled - Jay's Irish Stout
On Deck - The Orginal Fat Tire
Planning - "Hail to the Chief -IIPA", "The Straw Berry Blonde"
NTBA - Wicked Ale

Semper Fi

Old 04-21-2010, 10:52 PM   #107
forcera
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I called my people at lunch. I hope we can get this through.

Listening to a person that brews their own beer is like listening to a religious fanatic talk about the day he saw the light
- Ross Murray

In Alabama there is no beer, thats why we brew it here
-Kim & SunAe Thomson, owners of Alabrew Homebrewing Supplies, Birmingham's one and only homebrewing store

Alvin Holmes, Alabama House of Representatives, on Beer

Old 04-22-2010, 08:27 PM   #108
FreeM80s
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

bad news guys

The 30th Day
By Dan Roberts | Published: April 22, 2010

SB153 (Homebrew legalization) is dead in committee.
Despite Chairman Morrow’s efforts, the House Tourism and Travel Committee didn’t have enough people show up to have a quorum to give it a favorable report. There’s simply no way this is going to happen this year.

SB328 (Brewery Modernization Act), however, is still kicking. We have high hopes of coming up for a vote some time today… the last day.

I can tell you that I know a ton of you called and emailed your representatives in Montgomery, and your efforts have made an impact. I can’t guarantee anything, but I have high hopes. We’re definitely on the radar. As of this posting (all things politics are subject to change), we have a spot on the second Special Order Calendar for the day. Traditionally, the last day of the session lasts a long time as all the unfinished business is being handled. As long as the members of the House find no reason to filibuster and stall away today, the Brewery Modernization Act should come up for a vote.

If you pray, pray for a productive day in the Alabama House of Representatives.

If you would like to watch legislation being made, you can listen to the live audio of the House session at the legislature’s website

Old 04-22-2010, 10:33 PM   #109
DocBrown
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Just a brief update. The house is really dragging today. They do usually stay late, so there's still a chance, but they've only completed a handful of the 34 bills listed on the first Special Order Calendar. If the BMA bill comes up, it's going to have to wait for the second SOC. Chances of a 2nd SOC even coming up are getting slimmer by the hour.

On the positive side, the house concurred with the senate in overriding the governor's veto on a bill legalizing the sale of fortified wines. While that doesn't directly apply to beer, an amendment was added to it prior to its original passage that repealed the Brooks amendment to the Gourmet Beer Bill passed last year. In short, any store that is currently allowed to sell beer can now sell any kind of beer. The Brooks amendment had prevented convenience stores and some grocery stores from selling the higher ABV beers. Starting August 1 you should be able to find craft beers with ABV of up to 13.9% in the grocery stores.

Old 04-22-2010, 11:24 PM   #110
isleofman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 295

i've been listening to this today... my god, i would go nuts working in politics.

A watched pot never boils. An unwatched pot always boils over.

Quick Reply