Ahhhh Success!!! I bloody well did it!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MVKTR2

Reaction score
I made dang fine very drinkable beer! My first batch, brewed 12-30-07, is well aged and drinking very fine. I was worried as I sampled the beer at 1 week intervals to see how it progressed. But this weekend my beer's time has finally arrived.... she'll be gone in no time! Alas I must bottle my Scottish export unless I might be caught with no homebrew :(!!! Okay so I'm psyched... can't blame me! fwiw I brewed the midwestsupplies Phat Tyre kit.

Schlante,
Phillip

Ps I'm about to dig into some jambalaya made with "my beer" (has such a great ring to it). Of course I'll be drinking my beer with it also!!!:ban: :ban: :ban:

Congrats on your well made brew. I urge you to not drink it all in the first few weeks. Save some and drink them here and there. Its possible the beer isn't at its prime yet.

I'm with ya! I just started brrewing in December as well.

When I sampled my first brew at the 3 week mark, I was happy that I actually made a drinkable beer, but I wasn't super satisfied with it.
I'm drinking one right now, month or so later, and I'm much happier.
I now know what people mean by "green" beer.
It definatly needs a little aging.

Congrats!

Thanks for the slaps on the back! I have a question or 2 though...

1... is Brewpastor actually a pastor? I searched for an answer and couldn't find one... my best guess is he "used to be a pastor".

2... Just from my experience with this batch I've got the observation... All beer (ales included) seems to benefit from a couple of weeks of cold aging after fully carbed?

Schlante,
Phillip

Congrats on the success!!! I started my new habit on January 9th with an English Brown Ale kit. I also sampled weekly once bottled and was a bit nervous the first 2 weeks. Then the 3rd week it was pretty good. The last 2 made me a happy man, except I only have 1 Litre left. I followed with an Irish Red Ale, a Honey Wheat, and a hard cider. Planning on another English Brown Ale wednesday. 25 gal in 1.5 months!!! Never a shortage here.

Good luck in the future!

Congrats! I just opened one from my first batch last night, an English Brown. It was great. Can't wait to get the next batch out of the secondary and into bottles!:rockin:

Congrats :mug:

MVKTR2 said:
Thanks for the slaps on the back! I have a question or 2 though...

1... is Brewpastor actually a pastor? I searched for an answer and couldn't find one... my best guess is he "used to be a pastor".

2... Just from my experience with this batch I've got the observation... All beer (ales included) seems to benefit from a couple of weeks of cold aging after fully carbed?

1) Yes. And if I remember correctly he also moderates an "adult" literature forum :p
2) As a general rule, yes they only get better with time. Very light beers wouldn’t do well with very long ageing. I would suggest taking a 6pack out and putting it in a dark corner of your basement/closet and forget about it for 4-6 months.

I've found that a good beer at 3-4 weeks becomes a much better beer with a couple of months aging. Keep waiting.

I've also found that the 'ok" beer you bottled a few years ago, is probably not any better now...

The reason I ask is... I happen to be a pastor, or at the least an aspiring one! And for the record I don't moderate any "adult" literature forums!

And yea I'll be saving a few bombers of each brew to see how they age, already knew/planning to do that. BUT my question still stands... do all beers benefit from "cold aging" (in the fridge not the celar/closet)?

g_rath said:
Congrats :mug:

1) Yes. And if I remember correctly he also moderates an "adult" literature forum :p
2) As a general rule, yes they only get better with time. Very light beers wouldn’t do well with very long ageing. I would suggest taking a 6pack out and putting it in a dark corner of your basement/closet and forget about it for 4-6 months.

Back