Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Ahhhh...Finally a use for BMC...lol

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2009, 04:26 AM   #1
Recusit8m
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Ahhhh...Finally a use for BMC...lol

Was killing some time at the firehouse and came across this list of Unexpected uses for Beer...lol...Hope you all enjoy...

There are many useful uses for beer besides drinking it and having fun. Most of us just enjoy drinking beer, but the truth is, it can be used in a variety of different ways. Especially when you don't want to throw away any extra beer you have. Here are just 10 examples of what you can do with them.

1.Marinate meat in it - Use beer instead of wine to marinate your meat. Not only does it taste better, but it also makes the meat softer and more tender.
2.Help grass grow easier - pour beer on those irritating brown spots on your lawns to help your grass grow. The grass absorbs the nutrients, sugar and energy it needs to be able to grow.
3.Kill slugs & snails - Fill containers or wide-mouthed bottles or something of the sort with beer about a quarter to half way up. Then bury these in your garden. The slugs or snails will be attracted to them and drown.
4.Kill mice - This may sound a little far-fetched but fill a bucket or pail up about a third of the way with cheap beer with a board or something leading to the rim at the top. The mice, smelling this, will jump in, and not be able to climb out.
5.Calm a stomach-ache - Just sit down and drink a beer. This carbonated drink will settle your stomach right down. The alcohol helps reduce the pain as well. Don't use if you have an ulcer or gastritis.
6.Polish gold - Wet a piece of cloth with some beer and start rubbing your gold (no stones) to get the shine back. Use a second cloth to dry it.
7.Bathe in it - Add a few cans of beer into your bath. Believe it or not, it will do you good. The yeasts are good for softening and soothing the skin.
8.Polish wood furniture - Let some beer sit until it goes flat, then, dampen a washcloth with it, and rub your wooden furniture. This will polish it, and give it a more shiny and healthy look.
9.Cook with it - When boiling shrimp, try using beer for the cooking liquid. Season as you wish, but don't overcook.
10.Drink it!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2009, 05:07 AM   #2
elbajista
Recipes 

I'm not too sure of the last one. Only if I'm desperate or don't want to be rude at a social gathering...

Old 07-09-2009, 05:07 AM   #3
jamesnsw
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recusit8m View Post
Was killing some time at the firehouse and came across this list of Unexpected uses for Beer...lol...Hope you all enjoy...
3.Kill slugs & snails - Fill containers or wide-mouthed bottles or something of the sort with beer about a quarter to half way up. Then bury these in your garden. The slugs or snails will be attracted to them and drown.
My experience with beer growing up was my mom picking up the 40's left on the street by bums, still in the paper bags, and bringing them home to pour into a yogurt container to kill the slugs. Beer was uh, not exactly appealing to me at a young age. Slimy malt liquor. Yum.
Some stuff I've made: Odell's 90 Shilling Clone, Abbey Weiss Pottsville Common, Simple Mead, Dry Dock Apricot Blonde Clone, Rye IPA, Maibock, Scrapper's Quaffable Irish Red, Short Sleep Blueberry Ale, Lazy Magnolia Pecan Nut Brown Ale Clone, Graff, Apfelwein, Cascades Orange Pale, Orfy's Mild Ale, Vagabond Gingered Ale
What to Brew for iOS (free)

Old 07-09-2009, 05:14 AM   #4
davesrose
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
1.Marinate meat in it - Use beer instead of wine to marinate your meat. Not only does it taste better, but it also makes the meat softer and more tender.

9.Cook with it - When boiling shrimp, try using beer for the cooking liquid. Season as you wish, but don't overcook.
I take offense to these two!

I like cooking...so if I use beer for a reduction or marinade, I want it to have an impact. Using BMC for cooking is like using those "cooking wines" that are cheap and only at the grocery stores....they don't have the character like a "real" ingredient. I'd rather get a whole bottle of real drinking wine (or pack of beer)....some of it goes to food, yet more of it goes to drinking
On the Bench: Racer 5 IPA

"One of the first things early caveman did, when he crawled out of the mudd, was to make beer. And cavemen everywhere are still making beer...and drinking beer." - Jean Sheperd

Old 07-09-2009, 12:56 PM   #5
voegeli51
Recipes 

I agree with davesrose on this one. As much as I hate to waste good beer on cooking, but you can taste a significant difference when you use BMC as compared to a HB or Craft. So there are two less things that BMC are good for.

They who drink beer will think beer.
- Washington Irving

Old 07-09-2009, 01:00 PM   #6
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 37 Posts

You can't use BMC in the bath. Its pasteurized and filtered. I agree with the cooking sentimnt too. Beer can chicken and the liquid for fish and chips is about all I use BMC in the kitchen.

Old 07-09-2009, 01:34 PM   #7
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 39 Posts

When mixed with one of my dark brews, Bud Light actually makes a decent Black and Tan. It's one step up from water, so it lightens the pint without having ANY effect on the taste.

Old 07-09-2009, 02:22 PM   #8
Hambone
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I think BMC would give me more of a stomach-ache rather than calming it or just piss me off.

I do understand that this article was written about beer though and not just BMC

Old 07-10-2009, 11:27 PM   #9
thelorax121
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbajista View Post
don't want to be rude at a social gathering...
That is pretty much the only reason these ever cross my lips. Unfortunately it is considered odd to bring your own sixer and a glass to a kegger...

Old 07-19-2009, 07:45 PM   #10
LSDracula
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
One of the steak marinades I have used in the past called for a light BMC. Bud light specifically. I believe it was to get the value of the tenderizing qualities of the alcohol and not so much of the flavor as other flavoring ingredients were used. Also, I think that the marinade worked somewhat as a brine so the high water content in the beer along with the high salt content of worcestershire/soy sauce was beneficial.
Side note. I used a cheap merlot once to marinate a steak. The steak still tasted like cheap merlot after it was cooked. It was pretty bad.

Quick Reply