Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > AHA Big Brew Day 2012 plans?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2012, 04:37 AM   #1
Zamial
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default AHA Big Brew Day 2012 plans?

This is a thread to talk about and celebrate the AHA Big Brew Day on May 5th. If you have some info on you or your club doing something, feel free to post it up here. I wanted to see how many others try and brew this day as well. I was also interested in how many people will be brewing one of the posted recipes.

Our homebrew club is going to brew at the LHBS. I plan to be doing an all grain "Buck Snort Brown" and a friend and fellow club member will be brewing up an extract version of the same, per the posted AHA recipe. (We plan to do some side by sides, in the future at a club meeting.) I may also wear some blaze orange since I will be brewing up the Buck Snort Brown!

To celebrate correctly, we are going to plan the noon toast to be none other than a "Hot Scotchy" from said Buck Snort Wort. (That is fun to say!)

I also believe we will have some press coverage.

I will update this thread with pics and news as it is needed.

So what are your plans???

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2012, 04:47 AM   #2
bruin_ale
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts

My club will be doing a brew-in/meeting at my house. The plan is to brew a large batch of something (probably not a brown) to showcase at NCHF (northern california homebrew festival). We did a barleywine last year so probably something different this year, we haven't decided yet. I'll also be brewing on my system as a demonstration to those in the club that haven't experienced the joys of electric brewing.

Hot Scotchy sounds awesome, I'll add that to the "agenda"

Old 03-28-2012, 05:06 AM   #3
Zamial
Recipes 

My biggest issue is not how much beer I can make away from home but rather how much I want to transport back home. I may be brewing up another batch as well and I am thinking 2-6.5 gallon batches will be plenty for me but I may also do a no-boil 3 gallon wine or meade.

The thought had not occurred to me to brew something for a competition but that is a GREAT idea!

Old 03-28-2012, 01:02 PM   #4
phenry
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Mashing Bucksnort right now. I figured why brew it on May 5th when I could drink it on May 5th?

Old 04-12-2012, 05:49 PM   #5
msujack
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I will be enjoying the fruits (hops) of my labor. Its my birthday and I am going to probably drink too much home brew.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:54 PM   #6
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2814 Times on 2759 Posts
Likes Given: 124

I am going to try getting in my first brew since last June. Might finally fire up my little electric system while I'm at it for it's first brew. I had a Hot Scotchy last a few brew days ago but with Makers. I finally have Scotch on hand. I guess I'll have to give it another go round'. Trying to get a buddy to come down and brew with me and see if any other locals would like to meet up as well.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 05-06-2012, 05:10 AM   #7
Zamial
Recipes 

I brewed the Bucksnort AG. A fellow home brew club member brewed the extract version AND a euro style dopplebock ale, also extract. We also had a different fellow club member brew up his version of Janet's Brown ale.

We had a mixed wort hot scotchy for the noon toast, done as the noon sirens wailed.

This is gonna make for a BAD club meeting in 2 months...

My LHBS gave us the grains and yeast for our brews as well as some smacked dated packs of yeast (They expanded and I know how to make a starter...) Bought all the brewers lunch from the local brew pub.

The brewer from said brew pub came down and I may have a job opportunity working in the new tap room. (The horror.)

We gained 3 new club members and got 2 different people talked into buying starter kits in the LHBS.

The worst part... I am now buzzed and sunburned. What a crappy day.

Old 05-06-2012, 04:42 PM   #8
stevea1210
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I also got sunburned celebrating big brew yesterday. We had around 15 people brewing at the LHBS. It was a real good time.

Noone brewed the aha recipes though. I just wasn't up for brewing a brown ale. I did the zombie dust clone from the thread floating around here.

You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel. - Homer Jay Simpson

Old 05-06-2012, 05:36 PM   #9
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I brewed at the Zion Canyon Brewing Co. The only other one that brewed was the assistant that works there. I drank too much and eat too much. It was fun.

Old 05-07-2012, 04:13 PM   #10
watersr
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 25 Posts

I used to camp in Zion Canyon with my family every summer back when I was young. I'll have to get back there someday soon to try some beers at the brewery.

Burn the village, then drink the beer!

Quick Reply