aging ice beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blad

Reaction score
This is my first thread ! Usualy I find pretty much every answers to my questions ... but not this time!
I was wondering if I'm brewing a BW for exemple and I want to make an ice beer with it, do I have to let the beer age in fermenter for a year or so before freezing it or can I freeze it right after primary,concentrate, bottle it and lets age like that !?!
Since the yeast won't survive the ice , i can't figure how it will turns out!! Initially, I don't even know if living cells have something to do with the process of aging ...how effective it is!?!

Ok I did found the information I was looking for on HBT!! Wow there's really nothing that haven't been discuss before over here! Haha!

Now !Less talking and more brewing...

Really!?! I thought that the complexity of the final result should come from aging!!! Conclusion cames to me After watching James Spencer and Steve Wilkes video comparing ice beer to kind of spirit

Really!?! I thought that the complexity of the final result should come from aging!!! Conclusion cames to me After watching James Spencer and Steve Wilkes video comparing ice beer to kind of spirit

From what i know all ice beer is its a concentrated alcohol content..usually filtered and drunk fresh..But you can age it to mellow it out..Remember 3 month old beer is still considered fresh to some degree..cheers

Omg! I just gave it a try with a barleywine I brewed in march last year. That's very interesting ...it came out with 1/4 of the original quantity. I have frozen the beer, let it drain itself upside down (still in the freezer) overnight. What I've collect seems nothing less than alcohol, really warm, not much sweetness and overoak aroma ( oak soak barleywine). It have an astringency bitterness to (unpleasent).

It seems to bring all the weakness of the beer comes to day!! I realise that my barleywine had too much attenuation, it suffers from lack of residual sugars, no maltiness. So everything is unbalance now , bitterness, oak flavor....malt is missing BIG TIME!! Somehow! the original product is very interesting. It's well carbonate, fruity and oak is still very present...on the other hand, I have to say that I've always found my BW a bit watery!!:S

I use to be really pround of that one, but now I know I have work to do!! I'm thinking of keeping a sample of evry new batches I will brew in the futur from now on and taste it's concentrate to ajust and get the shot!!

I'll do a second draining from the leftover (water) see how it will comes up warming at room temp, there's still lot of stuff in there!

(sorry for my english and bad formulations!loll)

IMG_0989.jpg

Back