Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > aging ale ??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2009, 11:12 PM   #11
JVD_X
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Also - it's not just the style of ale it's the skill of the making. Keeping oxidation down, using quality ingredients, watching your breaks, etc...

- JVD_X

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2009, 11:12 PM   #12
skunkyboy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

ok cool so you wouldn't recomend putting it in an ock barrel then ? unless i am either going to drink it about that time or bottle it after (14 days)??

Its not my falt the button told me to do it !?!? :@)

Old 02-11-2009, 11:31 PM   #13
brewmonger
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunkyboy View Post
ok cool so you wouldn't recomend putting it in an ock barrel then ? unless i am either going to drink it about that time or bottle it after (14 days)??
If you want to barrel age beer, you really have to design the beer with the intention of barrel aging it. Generally, it will need either:

1) a higher alcohol content to prevent spoiling (i.e. a Barley Wine or Imperial Stout, Double Bock, etc...)
2) be built to intentionally sour with lactic bacteria (i.e. a Lambic)
3) be dry hopped in the barrel (i.e. an IPA)

If what you brewed is just a standard amber or pale ale from a kit, it probably will not barrel age well. Besides, you need enough beer to fill the barrel without any head-space left over. If you still really want to barrel age it, then you could dry-hop it (add a few ounces of whole leaf hops to the barrel while it ages) and it might turn out OK in 6 months, as long as you can fill the barrel to the top.

Otherwise, it will age fine in the bottles, if you bottle it right now (assuming it is done fermenting and has settled out). It will tend to lose hop bitterness as it ages, and will eventually oxidize. You will still want to drink it within 6-9 months, but it will hold up better in the bottles once it has been bottle-conditioned than it will in your carboy.

Old 02-14-2009, 11:40 PM   #14
skunkyboy
Recipes 

hmm ok will keep that in mind then cool thanks for that

Its not my falt the button told me to do it !?!? :@)

Quick Reply