HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Ageing my Pumpkin Ale inside an actual Pumpkin…..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2009, 08:59 PM   #1
imaguitargod
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default Ageing my Pumpkin Ale inside an actual Pumpkin…..

Well, I had heard of a lot of places tapping a pumpkin with their pumpkin beer in it, but I’ve never heard of anyone actually ageing their beer in a pumpkin. So this year I did a fun experiment with one of my pumpkin beers. Follow me down the rabbit hole…

After primary fermentation was finished, I racked about 3.5 gallons of the pumpkin beer (my all-grain beer named: It’s The Great Pumpkin Ale, Charlie Brown) into the bottling bucket, leaving 1.5 gallons left. I opened the top of the pumpkin, scooped it’s guts out, drilled a hole for an air lock and they some sanitizer water went in it. I swirled it around for a few second, then dumped it.

I racked the 1.5 gallons I had left right into the top:

Covered it up, slapped the airlock on, and then put duct tape over the slices for the opening (not shown):

Exactly one week later I opened it up. Around the top was some nasty mold, but inside it was pristine! I racked it out of there, bottled, and let sit for the last two weeks to carb. Last night I opened it and did a side by side tasting with the non-pumpkin aged one.

No wild bugs got into the beer but what had happened baffled me. It’s like most of the life and flavor was sucked out of the beer. The mouth feel was thin, it was less pie pumpkin tasting and more jack-o-lantern pumpkin tasting (which would make sense…that’s what I aged it in after all). It was still a drinkable and tasty beer, but had lost a lot of what made this batch really fantastic this year.

Anyone ever try this and what were your results?

Brewer for Hoppin' Frog Brewery.
"I am not an alcoholic, I’m a drunk. An alcoholic means that I have a problem and when I drink all my problems go away."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2009, 10:47 PM   #2
smitty2324
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

All I could think when I read the subject header was "That sound like a really bad idea.". So on the plus side you ended up with a drinkable batch.

Old 11-10-2009, 11:02 PM   #3
imaguitargod
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty2324 View Post
All I could think when I read the subject header was "That sound like a really bad idea.". So on the plus side you ended up with a drinkable batch.
Ya, when I brought up the idea alot of people said that. I figured, the worst that could happen is I lose a gallon and a half of beer so I went for it.

"I am not an alcoholic, I’m a drunk. An alcoholic means that I have a problem and when I drink all my problems go away."

Old 11-10-2009, 11:03 PM   #4
WIP
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Pumpkins Breathe. Maybe you have oxidized beer? Even if no air got in through the pumpkin, there is air in the walls themselves. Maybe try using it as a primary?

Marc Moberg
Assistant Winemaker/Cellar Manager
Inwood Estates Vineyards and Winery
1350 Manufacturing St. #209
Dallas, TX 75207

Old 11-10-2009, 11:06 PM   #5
imaguitargod
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIP View Post
Pumpkins Breathe. Maybe you have oxidized beer? Even if no air got in through the pumpkin, there is air in the walls themselves. Maybe try using it as a primary?
Hmmm...didn't think about it being oxidized...but it didn't taste that that.

Old 11-10-2009, 11:08 PM   #6
JefeTheVol
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts

Never done it but here are some names for pumpkin aged beers:
Pun-kin Beers (probably been done)
Oh my gourd
Cucurb Your Enthusiasm
-jefe-

Old 11-10-2009, 11:09 PM   #7
WIP
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I would guess that the pumpkin covered up the cardboard taste and the oxidation just took away all the good flavors. My posts here are just guesses from what I have read around here. I am no authority on beer.

Marc Moberg
Assistant Winemaker/Cellar Manager
Inwood Estates Vineyards and Winery
1350 Manufacturing St. #209
Dallas, TX 75207

Old 11-10-2009, 11:50 PM   #8
mrtrav
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would try aging in a sugar pumpkin and not a jack-o-lantern pumpkin. Also +1 on the pumpkin being primary and not secondary.

Quick Reply