LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2012, 03:18 PM   #1
cheesehed007
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 158 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Default Age question

Is there an age limit on buying everything to brew beer or wine? I was in my LHBS last night and group of young ( maybe early 20s) guys came in. Started me to thinking. If your an 18 y/o and can't buy beer. Could you brew it? As far as I know there is no age limit... Just some random thoughts while I figure a way of getting out of doing the "honey do list" .... Cheers

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 03:22 PM   #2
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

You need to be of legal drinking age in order to buy brewing supplies (where I am at least). Just like being able to become a member here.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 11-10-2012, 03:29 PM   #3
ajdelange
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 585 Times on 484 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Depends on the jurisdiction, I'd think. Most LHBs and mail suppliers are smart enough to realize that they'd better be 'proactive' with respect to this as are most breweries' web sites and, apparently, this forum. What possible harm can come to a 18 y/o from reading this forum? He can order DeClerck from Amazon. Should that be banned too?

Old 11-10-2012, 03:36 PM   #4
b-boy
16%er
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 426 Times on 315 Posts
Likes Given: 125

I think it would be pretty easy for underage kids to get brewing equipment and supplies mail order. I've never seen an age verification on any site.

Never underestimate the potential of someone who refuses to act their age.

Old 11-10-2012, 03:45 PM   #5
cheesehed007
Recipes 

My HBS didn't have anything posted about under age sales. That's not saying they don't check.

Old 11-10-2012, 03:53 PM   #6
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-boy View Post
I think it would be pretty easy for underage kids to get brewing equipment and supplies mail order. I've never seen an age verification on any site.
They would need to use a credit card on most sites. Even if they used paypal, I think it would be pretty easy to confirm age.

I also think that most kids (people under 21 ARE kids) are more interested in getting F'd up than making something great. Plus, having the patience needed to brew a batch, and properly ferment it, is [typically] beyond them. Sure, there are exceptions, but those are [IMO] few and far between.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 11-10-2012, 04:00 PM   #7
cheesehed007
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie

They would need to use a credit card on most sites. Even if they used paypal, I think it would be pretty easy to confirm age.

I also think that most kids (people under 21 ARE kids) are more interested in getting F'd up than making something great. Plus, having the patience needed to brew a batch, and properly ferment it, is [typically] beyond them. Sure, there are exceptions, but those are [IMO] few and far between.
Good points... Hard for a 18-19 to wait for a month or more for things to be ready...

Old 11-10-2012, 05:54 PM   #8
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3217 Times on 3120 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Ska brewing was started by two guys making beer in their kitchen because they were too young to buy it.

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash

Old 11-10-2012, 05:58 PM   #9
zeg
Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 137

I've not ever heard of a law restricting access to brewing ingredients or equipment, but I believe it's universal (within the universe that is the US) that you must be of drinking age to homebrew legally.

It would be pretty hard to restrict access to brewing equipment, since no specialized equipment is actually needed. I don't see how you could restrict the ingredients either, because they all have non-alcoholic uses. The specialty yeasts would be extremely rare to use for anything else, and very few people do anything else with hops, I suppose. Still, given that you can brew an alcoholic beverage with table sugar and bread yeast, all a restriction would do is keep a kid from brewing something pleasant.

It wouldn't surprise me if brew shops would be hesitant to sell to someone obviously underage, though. As others have said above, while it'd be hard to make a legal distinction, as common sense everyone would know what was going on. It's in all homebrewers' interests to voluntarily comply with the spirit of the law and avoid abetting underage brewers.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:01 PM   #10
gstrawn
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie

As a college student I can't disagree more. Many of my friends and I enjoy good quality beer, do we get drunk sometimes? Yes. But so do many non "kids" even people who have "the patience needed to brew a batch." Your generalization is not indicative of many "kids."

Quick Reply