Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Advice to sell home brew??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2012, 10:44 PM   #71
IXVolt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 76

There's a local brewpub here in town that features a "homebrewer" every month. The home brewer uses the brewery's equipment. All proceeds go to the brewpub. I've just never been that excited about giving out my recipe's for other people's profit.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2012, 12:48 AM   #72
ocluke
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXVolt View Post
There's a local brewpub here in town that features a "homebrewer" every month. The home brewer uses the brewery's equipment. All proceeds go to the brewpub. I've just never been that excited about giving out my recipe's for other people's profit.
Commercial breweries give us their recipes all of the time, even for their highly coveted beer recipes (e.g. Russian River Pliny the Elder) in which they are theoretically losing profit on since we're not paying them any licensing fee to brew it or anything, and people are taking that recipe and developing new versions to brew in commercial settings.

What's wrong with sharing your recipes? Is that not what we do here on this forum and in the craft beer industry in general? I find the open community aspect of the brewing culture to be one of the greatest things about being a homebrewer. I also find it to be something that separates the craft beer industry from the wine or distilled spirits industry. It's much more laid back, open, and collaborative. Instead of suing each other or being tight-lipped about things, brewers collaborate with each other and share their knowledge.

This culture is what moves things forward and creates new, exciting beers. Using the Pliny the Elder example from above, I believe Vinnie's openness about his recipes is one of the major reasons we have so many amazing aromatic hoppy beers today. Breweries take his recipe, tweak it, put their own spin on it, and it is a new expression of the style.

Heck, I would jump at the chance to brew on a commercial setup. There could be a lot of knowledge to be gained from brewing on a bigger system.

Old 05-02-2012, 01:01 AM   #73
PurpleJeepXJ
Ah... Leafy Goodness
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Sell the bottles and caps, not the beer.

I support the Sternewirth Privilege... Especially for Home Brewers!!

Old 08-23-2012, 03:06 PM   #74
TripleNad
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstev50 View Post
There is a brewpub in my area that has an event called the "Rat Pad". They have a 10 gal homebrew setup and will let homebrewers come in and brew and then sell it on tap.
• All beer produced on the Rat Pad or any other system is the property of Corner Brewery.

That's how they get away with that. I am sure that the OP is looking to make a little money out of this, not just brew for the experience (sounds like he has a bit of that already).

Quick Reply