Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Advice to sell home brew??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2009, 01:28 PM   #51
double_e5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontman View Post
Figure about another $1.00 per bottle for packaging + .50 for enclosures +.50 for cases.

Then you got fixed costs of a few grand per month minimum + equipment amortization. Costs of sales, vehicle lease, marketing costs. This is just the beginning of the grocery list of fixed costs really.

Figure minimum 10K per month in fixed costs which would have to be amortized over the cost of each unit sold. So if you sell 1000 six packs per month then you would have to divide that 10000 into the costs of those. So your cost is $13/ six pack.

So according to the figures you would be earning $9.07/hour against a $50/hour nut.
One little correction: Equipment depreciates, intangibles amortize. Sorry, I'm just an accounting nerd.

This is exactly the problem with doing this on such a small scale to try to make money. You can't cover your fixed costs. Most people here are forgetting about fixed costs and just trying to cover variable costs. Running something this small would be a cash flow nightmare. Is it possible? Sure, but I wouldn't want to do it to eek out a living.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2009, 05:47 PM   #52
shrades
Recipes 

Well I have along way to go to even try my hand at brewing enough for selling, but hats off to you all that have that dream. I'm turning 43 this March, and if I can think of any advice for younger people, GO FOR IT! There are alot of small breweries that are popping up here in the Midwest, and most of them are taking older breweries or older buildings, and spending there days nights and most of there money getting it done. But they are great places to sit back relax, and enjoy friends and good brew!

Old 04-21-2009, 01:34 PM   #53
bdlbrewster
Recipes 

Default Just do it.

Make friends with your local brew shop manager or owner and convince them to buy a case of sixers. Don't worry about the little stuff. I brew at home and manage a liquor store, in which I sell my brews. A few locals buy my brew, and the local government is none the wiser. As long as the rest of the business is legit no one will care. Just make sure you spend time on your packaging and all is well. Costs me between $25-$40 to make two cases, and I sell them at $7.99 a sixer. It's about $20-$30 bucks profit a case. Menial but enough to keep me truckin. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/images/smilies/rockin.gif

Old 05-17-2010, 06:41 PM   #54
rfoster
Recipes 

I have been brewing in my garage for about 5 years now. My friend owns a liquor store and said that he would be willing to sell my beer so as long as I have all my permits, etc. to produce the beer in California.

I am not looking to make big bucks off this, but more of a hobby as I am approaching retirement. I'll be happy to cover my expenses. I know you can't sell beer that you make in your home.

Thus, can I brew my beer at a local microbrewery and bottle it up for sale?

Old 05-17-2010, 06:46 PM   #55
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 204 Times on 113 Posts

From what I've found, you need your own location and an "off sale beer & wine" license to label beer as your own. If you wanted to distribute your beer under their label, then you can get a "beer & wine wholesaler" license, then all you need is a warehouse location and that license is much easier to get.

I'm currently trying to do pretty much the same thing, but we want our own label on the beer so even though we would start by having it done by contract, the wholesaler license will not allow us to put our own label on it for beer (it is ok for wine *shrug*)

Read through the ABC website to begin, here are the license types:
http://www.abc.ca.gov/forms/abc616NR.pdf

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 05-17-2010, 08:25 PM   #56
mkling
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

For anyone interested in doing this, you might want to go over to the Brewing Network. Their Sunday Session radio show on 4-11-2010 was all about how to start a Nanobrewery or Partner brewery (renting an established brewery's facilities). I thought it was definitely one of their most informative shows.

Recently Kicked Kegs: Fresh Hop Pale Ale, Citra Rye IPA
On Deck: Old Rasputin, Northstar IPA, Ur-bock Dunkel

Old 05-18-2010, 12:06 AM   #57
billvon
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedIrocZ-28 View Post
My friends keep asking me how much it would cost to make a batch of "________" and that they would pay for it. I figure that so long as they give me money, and I go and buy the ingredients with that money and "donate" my time, thats its pretty much as legal as it can be.
Well, not quite; that is selling beer by any definition. If they brought you the ingredients it might be a bit more legal. Perhaps even just deposited money in a "general brewer" account at the local homebrew store?

Old 05-18-2010, 12:57 AM   #58
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billvon View Post
Well, not quite; that is selling beer by any definition. If they brought you the ingredients it might be a bit more legal. Perhaps even just deposited money in a "general brewer" account at the local homebrew store?
I agree -- any thinly veiled plot to cover up selling beer to your friends could be easily uncovered.

It's one thing for your friends to give you cash to buy ingredients and share the homebrew with them, but if people believe they are buying beer and/or if you are receiving an amount from people obviously beyond your costs and then sharing or "sharing" your beer with them, you risk getting into serious trouble.

Old 05-18-2010, 01:22 AM   #59
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 838 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 1105

If you really want to do this, asking on this forum isn't the best way to get info. Overall, Homebrewtalk tends to be very negative towards this idea.

Lucky for me, I get a full retirement at 43 and will have roughly $200k to blow on my brewpub. Brewpub seems to be the way to go from everything I've seen and read.

Old 05-18-2010, 01:34 AM   #60
artyboy
Recipes 

http://www.gcbrewery.com/

Quick Reply