Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Advice on adding nuts to beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2012, 07:38 PM   #21
Crustovsky
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadliner View Post
Far as head retention, I don't know, honestly. I imagine it will still affect it, but less oil should affect less, right?
To my understanding it's a pretty all-or-nothing situation with oils and head retention. Kinda like beer-clean glassware vs glassware with even the tiniest amount of residual soap/detergent left ofter, you're going to notice the difference pretty quickly.

Ultimately though, I still think the flavour you get from the nuts complete with their oils and the convenience of it all is probably worth the sacrifice of head retention in most situations people end up using 'em in. They usually end up in beers with pretty limited head formation in the first place, and unless you're throwing them in a beer that you absolutely must have maximum aroma release it's probably not that big of a deal. I could see taking the time to get rid of the oils for something like an IPA or some sort of Belgian beer, but for the usual brown ale or porter/stout? Dunno that it's worth the extra effort for a homebrewer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 08:55 PM   #22
WhiteDog87
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 35

So i just tasted the hydrometer sample from my pecan warmer yesterday. It finished at 1.010 and has a some nice warming alcohol too it. It tastes nice and malty but basically no pecan flavor

I am disappointed by the lack of pecan flavor but I am now determined to do this again and get it right. Im gunna try putting them in the mash next time and try a lighter base beer to let the pecan flavor shine through more (hopefully)

Old 12-12-2012, 09:08 PM   #23
m_stodd
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 38 Posts

I've started experimenting by making my own extracts. First hazelnut, and now cashew and pecan.

With all three, I roasted until they started to taste like you think they should taste, then dump in a bottle with vodka and wait.

Hazelnut and cashew are pretty awesome, the vodka has soaked up a lot of flavor. Pecan is different, tasting that vodka leaves your mouth really dry, and is much more oily than the others.

I'd suggest making extracts, then adding extract at bottling time. The other reason I'd suggest not adding nuts hot side is that if the oil is actually a head killer, boiling it might mix it in with the wort. Adding nuts after cooling, you might get an oil slick on top, but you can just rack from underneath. If your going to try adding nuts to your brew, the two things that will help get flavor out is alcohol and time. Increasing either of those will help draw out alcohol soluble flavors.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:13 AM   #24
Zamial
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 7

TLDR. Please keep your nuts out of the beer.

Quick Reply