Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Adventures in mixing commercial beers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2011, 10:20 PM   #1
Lan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Adventures in mixing commercial beers

Has anyone tried this? I was enjoying a black and tan with a friend the other week and started thinking, why not try mixing together my favorite commercial brews and see what happens? Today I mixed Dieu du Ciel's Corne du Diable (a solid, generously hopped IPA) with Le Naufrageur's Saint-Barnabé (A dry stout with a great roasted malt profile). Results: Simply amazing! I can pick out elements of each beer, and at the same time, they seem to meld very well together. Up until now, I would have only considered drinking these separate from each other...it seems I may be drifting away from the 'Beer Purist' mentality and exploring more experimental territory. If anything, it also seems to allow for more creative approaches to home-brewing as well! I would recommend giving it a try sometime.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2011, 12:26 AM   #2
rgontasz
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I used to bartend at a beer bar and we would try different blends. Stoudts Double IPA and Stoudts Fat Dog Oatmeal Stout work really well. We called it a Stoudts Stacker. However, I would say I'm usually a beer purest!

Old 05-30-2011, 12:32 AM   #3
bottomofthebarrel
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

i tried mixing a chocloate bock with a cream stout.
it really didn't work.

there was a bar in wisconsin once that got a mix up order and got both Haams and Blatz kegs in. mixed = Blaams

Old 05-30-2011, 12:55 AM   #4
Stout-n-Braggot
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Guinness will make a good black and tan with most lighter ales as a base, but I prefer it with Twisted Thistle IPA, and Rogue makes a nice blend with their Hazelnut Borwn and Chocolate Stout, beyond that I haven't ventured too far into blending yet.

Old 05-30-2011, 01:51 AM   #5
Qhrumphf
Stay Rude, Stay SHARP
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1701 Times on 1212 Posts
Likes Given: 699

I know DFH has also offered a few blends (Burton Baton comes to mind). I've made many a black and tan from various brews over the years, but never really varied from the stout/pale ale combination.

Up Next: Bluebird Bitter Clone v3.0, Scottish 60/-, Rye American Pale Ale
Primary: Robust Porter, Kitchen Sink Brown Porter, Bluebird Bitter Clone v2.0
Souring: Lamebic, Flanders Red, Brett. C. Old Ale, Sour Stout, Brett C. Wild Bitter, Wild Cider
Polypins: Dark Mild
Bottled: English Cider, Belgian IPA, Spiced Winter Warmer, Malt Liquor
In the "cellar": Brett B. Tripel, Quadrupel, Tripel, Brett C. Oaked English Barleywine, Lamebic

Old 05-30-2011, 02:00 AM   #6
budsandsuds
Recipes 

Try mixing New Belgium's Trippel and their Sunshine Wheat together. Called a Suntrip. Not bad. Brings an interesting new complexity not present in anything i've had.
I've had quite a few stouts (usually Guinness) mixed with different ciders also which is pretty interesting.
Tried a Hoegaarden mixed with a Lindeman's framboise, not bad, Lindeman's is usually too sweet for me, but this cuts it quite a bit to a good level (still sweet though).
Recently tried a firkin of 70% ipa and 30% apricot blonde from Dry Dock. Excellent!

Quick Reply