Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Adventures in Chlorination...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2012, 12:14 PM   #1
jsv1204
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Adventures in Chlorination...

So... With the intention of saving myself the cost of bottled water, I set myself up with a carbon-activated in-line filter and brewed my last batch with filtered, de-chlorinated tap water... Or so I thought!

Last nights first bottle o' the batch yielded such a band-aid stench it was almost unpalatable.

Come to find out that carbon filters aren't the end-all! What was mildly disturbing was that some midnight band-aid breath research revealed that a camden (campden?) tablet would have done the trick. I was surprised that I had never run across that bit of wisdom in the dozen or so brewing liquor articles I have read up to this point. The icing on the cake (head on the pint?) is that I have about 500 camden tablets sitting on my wine-stuff shelf...

Lesson learned!

Cheers...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2012, 12:25 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4342 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 845

The great thing about campden is that it also works on chloramine- which many water suppliers are using instead of chlorine. Chloramine isn't filtered out by carbon filters, and it isn't boiled off. But a campden tablet will get rid of it!

Old 07-19-2012, 12:35 PM   #3
jsv1204
Recipes 

The bitter part (ironically, this batch is a bitter) is going to be either muscling through 60 bottles of band-aid juice or dumping it... :'(

Old 08-24-2012, 12:37 AM   #4
jsv1204
Recipes 

So disappointed. Next round mild ale had a somewhat reduced but dis-stink-tive band-aid odor despite generous Campden tablet usage. I have officially given up on our tap water. The only method I've had any success with is boiling and that was not stellar. Looks like it will be bottled water for the time being.

Quick Reply