Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Adjusting grain bill for my system

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2010, 09:25 PM   #1
eagle83
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Adjusting grain bill for my system

Northern brewer doesn't offer grains in ounces, so you have to buy a whole lb. I'm making the NB cream ale kit. Their kits are set on 75% efficiency, but I've been getting only 70% (only made a couple all grain batches). I plan on going from 1.25 qts/ lb to 1.5. Should this make up the 5%? I ordered an extra lb of the 2-row, but didn't order any more biscuit/honey malt b/c I would have wound up wasting a good bit of the extra lb I would have bought since I don't have a mill and have to buy pre crushed. If I just add the extra 2-rows to bump up the gravity without extra specialty malt, will this throw things off too much?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2010, 10:04 PM   #2
Homebrewtastic
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you're batch sparging then I would put the extra water in the sparge and not the mash. I batch sparge and let it set in my mash tun for about 10 minutes before collecting the liquid. I always overshoot the sparge water amount and I've been hitting around 78% as of late. The increased boil time isn't great but it works out well.

Bottled: Epik Barleywine, Chocolate Chili Pumpkin Porter, EKG Amber
Adventures in Zymurgy - Homebrewing and Sour Beer Blog

Old 11-02-2010, 01:12 PM   #3
dzlater
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 109

What you need to do if you want to be exact is figure out how many gravity points the 5% is. Then figure out how much grain you need by using the extract potential of the grain. An easy way to this would be to plug the recipe into some software, set the efficiency @ 70%, play with base malt amount until you hit your desired OG. You could also go the route of making a slightly smaller batch. Or just chuck in the extra pound and RDWHAHB.

Old 11-02-2010, 01:36 PM   #4
eagle83
Recipes 

Well I have plugged it into software, and have it pretty close. My main thing is I'm just worried by adding extra base malt and not adding extra specialty grain, I'm going to alter the taste of the beer. Am I the only one who feels like I have to have at least 5 gallons. It's a huge bummer when I get less than 48 bottles out of a batch. haha I need to get over it, but the joy of having 50+ is so nice!

Old 11-02-2010, 01:40 PM   #5
dzlater
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 109

From what I understand adjusting just the base malt for efficiency is what you want to do. You'll be fine.

Quick Reply