Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Additives, and Cancer.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2011, 06:58 PM   #51
dwarven_stout
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
Well, maybe you'd better explain it to me.

I thought "quintessential product of the industrial age" implied that all these ingredients wouldn't be available through local sources. Luckily In-n-Out is based in California which has a robust agricultural industry that is able to supply everything that goes on a hamburger.
"Local" for In&Out means "within a day's truck ride of a central facility", which I guess makes it depend on your definition of local (and on where the foodstuffs at that facility came from). That aside, I'm pretty sure that even California's vaunted agricultural paradise doesn't produce commercial tomatoes in February.

The point is that there has been no prior time in history that provides raw meat, cheese, tomatoes and lettuce from any source, "local" or otherwise, on every single day in the year.

"I can't believe how many people think Air Lock is pronounced Hydrometer." -BigKahuna
"If you gave me a beer with placenta in it without telling me I would kick you in the nuts." -ODaniel
"We be in a big hurry for dope beer with much alcamahol and flavor, quality, balance, and aroma don't matter. We just wantz to be druck, u know?" -Yooper

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2011, 07:22 PM   #52
ChillWill
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by z987k
PVPPP is plastic as said above and I've always wondered about it. It's crazy effective though.
We recently switched to that at work and silica hydragel, our beer is insanely clear. We centifuge it out and worked with a lab to test it and all seems ok.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:51 PM   #53
Fizzycist
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 41

There are so many things out there that minutely increase your chance of cancer, but you'd make yourself miserable trying to dodge it all for that extra 0.004% chance. For example, every small dose of radiation you get is a small chance of cancer. We get plenty of it from the sun, dirt, food we eat, and so on. You can decrease what you get by moving to lower elevation, away from regions with high natural uranium ore, changing your diet to avoid bananas etc. But the cumulative effect of that change is less than what you get from a dental x-ray, or flying across the country on an airliner. And then, all that is just chance! Plenty of people with low risk factors get cancer, plenty of people with high risk dodge it. The fact that you've already had it pretty much wipes out any other consideration. So I'm with the others here. RDWHAHB.

Sorry for the essay.

Last edited by Fizzycist; 12-30-2011 at 08:52 PM. Reason: fixing a typo

Old 12-30-2011, 11:54 PM   #54
dgremark
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnj View Post
If your want to get really healthy, you can become a Level 5 vegan. I hear they don't eat anything that casts a shadow....
My parents are on it and have been for over a year. My Mom has taken high BP meds for the last 30+ years and the doc took her off last month! They are both in there 80's and really in good shape. I think it has more to do with genetics that diet! We have family members that have lived to 100+ drank daily and ate meat every day! LOL

GL and I pray for you!

Old 01-02-2012, 06:44 AM   #55
z987k

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillWill View Post
We recently switched to that at work and silica hydragel, our beer is insanely clear. We centifuge it out and worked with a lab to test it and all seems ok.
Curious as to why you centrifuge it out? It's been found to be entirely harmless, except for a few extremely rare allergies.... but this is the stuff that pill capsules are made of. A person would have to have never taken a pill before to not know. It's used in a lot of medical applications as well.

Old 01-02-2012, 08:55 AM   #56
ChillWill
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by z987k

Curious as to why you centrifuge it out? It's been found to be entirely harmless, except for a few extremely rare allergies.... but this is the stuff that pill capsules are made of. A person would have to have never taken a pill before to not know. It's used in a lot of medical applications as well.
I thought it made you a bit ill? Also, we don't filter the beer, so it's also to clean it up nicely as that stuff doesn't drag everything out of suspension to to point where it can be dumped out of the bottom of the tank.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:56 PM   #57
AiredAle
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts

I believe most capsules are made of gelatin not silica hydrogel, which is a finely divided solid consisting of silicon dioxide. It is used as a dessicant, and in beer it complexes with haze particles, so that they grow bigger and settle out faster.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:10 PM   #58
Cambone
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnj View Post
If your want to get really healthy, you can become a Level 5 vegan. I hear they don't eat anything that casts a shadow....
nice obscure simpsons reference

Old 01-02-2012, 10:39 PM   #59
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1711 Times on 1600 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambone
obscure simpsons reference