Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Additives, and Cancer.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2010, 05:47 AM   #21
mattd2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 269 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 46

As you said it Fungus, I would guess that any sanitiser/cleaner was not really meant for ingestion but we can handle it in small amounts, i.e. its bad for you but as long as you don't drink it concentrated you should be ok type of thing. I wonder about organic micros and how they clean/sterilise/keep a food grade enviroment.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2010, 06:12 AM   #22
japhroaig
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Fungus, there are no questionable ingredients in homebrewing. Except nugget hops.

Old 04-28-2010, 11:35 AM   #23
mitch171
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Local is the way to go! I try to buy as much food/other product produces locally as I can. As for organic sure that is what I prefer, but local farmers may not be able to pay for certification. Knowing where your food comes from and what choices the farmer makes can be as powerful, but of the local produce I eat may not be certified and may not pass certification. But it is close to organic and at least I know what has gone into it. My biggest concern is the hormones and antibiotics so I look for farms that do not use them.

As for brewing, I wonder with non organic hops if they are sprayed with chemicals to keep nasties away, are they washed?

Old 04-28-2010, 02:53 PM   #24
Zamial
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Brief self description: I am very much into self sustainability. I am "environmentally friendly and green" only as long as what I am doing coincides with the definition and do not actively seek to be these, it is a side effect of self sustainability. Having the equipment and knowledge for brewing beer and soda has become very important to me. I am also a hunter/fisherman and eat what I can get "free range" and buy organic foods when my freezer is empty. I am also getting into natural dehydration.

My opinion, for what it is worth,

-I am super afraid of plastic (yes even PET). I 100% agree with the previous poster that said get rid of it all and use SS and glass only. (I also do not "mix" metals either this has some bad things that can happen, especially if aluminum is involved. This will be how my brewery is when it is done. I also do not use any Teflon in my brewing/cooking...

-Water,Water,Water. I also have plans to build my own water distillery (using a sanke keg and glass carboys/demijohns.) and building my own brew water (we control everything else, why not the water as well?). I also plan on having my water distillery for drinking/cooking water as well as showering/cleaning.

-Steam it cooks and cleans. I would Ideally like to use steam to sterilize/sanitize my equipment and/or boiling water (since my water will be chemical free). I also cook my veggies by steaming them most of the time. I know that we really only use Camden tablets atm.

- We have planted hops and I think some 2-row barley is not far off in the distance either, as well as other adjuncts that we use. ie. Irish moss, heather flowers. We do not use any chemicals or unnatural items to produce these things.

- Lastly sugar, we substitute honey and agave nectar as often as possible (I have not used agave nectar much yet) even in brewing. Instead of priming sugar/corn sugar we use 100% natural, spun from the honey comb and bottled, honey.

In conclusion, none of the above guarantees anything. It is done so that I know I have done my best to be safe and self sustainable. I am glad to hear that you are doing better and I wish you the best.

Old 04-28-2010, 03:15 PM   #25
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4944 Times on 4514 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Bottom line is, too much of anything is bad for your health. Alcohol, Esters, Saccharides........

The body can only process so much before it tanks.

Glad to hear you've beat the cancer and I definitely understand why that would give you pause to reflect.

Old 04-28-2010, 04:32 PM   #26
withak
Recipes 

If you want to grow irish moss then I hope you live near some tidepools.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:21 PM   #27
Zamial
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by withak View Post
If you want to grow irish moss then I hope you live near some tidepools.
I wish I did too but I do not think a tide pool has diddly to do with Irish moss.

per: http://www.ehow.com/how_16333_grow-irish-scotch.html

and: http://www.plant-biology.com/Arenaria-Irish-moss.php

Old 04-28-2010, 05:28 PM   #28
weirdboy
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 433 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamial View Post

I wish I did too but I do not think a tide pool has diddly to do with Irish moss.

Hey, look we've got a know-it-all in the thread!

Except this know-it-all doesn't know that the Irish Moss used in brewing is not the same thing as the plant of the same (common) name, but instead a type of seaweed.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:28 PM   #29
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.

Recipes 

Liked 4944 Times on 4514 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamial View Post

Sagina Sebulata is NOT American Red seaweed brother. While I won't speculate on what, if anything, Scotch moss would bring to a beer I seriously doubt it will do anything to clarify it.

The "Irish Moss" used in brewing is actually a seaweed. Hence the reference to tidepools.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:31 PM   #30
Zamial
Recipes 

srry for the confusion...lol and thanks for the info....as for the know-it-all comment, I will say that I NEVER have or will claim to know it all. I am learning and will be until I am dead but I do thank you for trolling my reply, maybe your mommy made you a cookie.

Quick Reply