Adding Zest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ken_manke

Reaction score
I have an IPA that I'm brewing later today and I'm wanting to add some orange zest. I'm going for a subtle flavor with a little orange aroma. I was thinking of adding the zest 30 minutes in to the 60 minute boil. Will this get me my desired results? Thanks for the help this is my scone batch, so all help is appreciated. Cheers

Probably won't have much flavor left after 30 min boil. I'd suggest 5 min or less in boil to sanitize or soak in cheap vodka to sanitize for a few days then add after fermentation dies down.

Probably won't have much flavor left after 30 min boil. I'd suggest 5 min or less in boil to sanitize or soak in cheap vodka to sanitize for a few days then add after fermentation dies down.

Flavor from zest comes from the oils and with 30 minutes you should have boiled them all away. You only need to pasteurize the zest, not sterilize it so wait until flame out to add it or do the soak. Personally I would wait to add it until the fermentation is done so the CO2 didn't scrub out the aroma. If you want more orange flavor research corriander seeds.

RM-MN said:
Flavor from zest comes from the oils and with 30 minutes you should have boiled them all away. You only need to pasteurize the zest, not sterilize it so wait until flame out to add it or do the soak. Personally I would wait to add it until the fermentation is done so the CO2 didn't scrub out the aroma. If you want more orange flavor research corriander seeds.

Thanks, I'll do the additional research.

Back